1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto OEM Speakers Upgrade

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Bhupinder08, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I own the emotion edition of Punto which came with factory fitted music system. Now I am looking for an option to upgrade all 4 door speakers and my budget is max 8 - 10K. Installing sub-woofer is not an option as my requirement is to improve the sound quality with better bass.

I have couple of queries -

1. Should I go for component speakers at front and co-axial at rear or simply the co-axial for all 4 doors. I am not sure how much of clarity difference would be there between a component and a co-axial speaker.
    2. Will my existing music player be able to support the new speaker configuration? This is my biggest worry.
    3. Based on this change, should I go for door damping?

I am from Bangalore and it would be great if someone can point me to a shop near by IndiraNagar location.

Thanks in advanced.

Bhupinder
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Please see answers above in bold, I have no clue about the shops in bangalore, so can't be any help there.
    1 person likes this.
  3. 1. Should I go for component speakers at front and co-axial at rear or simply the co-axial for all 4 doors. I am not sure how much of clarity difference would be there between a component and a co-axial speaker. --> The budget that you mentioned is too low for buying decent quality Component set. Don't get me wrong but it doesn't make sense to buy mediocre components just because they are cheap. You can hook up components without an Amplifier BUT it defeats the purpose. In most cases the in built amplifier in the HU is incapable of driving the mid bass drivers since the inbuilt amp isn't powerful enough. This means you use the drivers at a much lower level than its true potential.
    I would say either wait for some time, save a bit more and get a better set with an amplifier,that way you will enjoy the upgrade even more.
    I personally never use rear speakers because most of the times I am the only one in the car so I always concentrate on the front sound stage. In case of a family car, its a different scenario, you could go for rear co axials but my suggestion is that the overall setup should have front sound stage bias.

2. Will my existing music player be able to support the new speaker configuration? This is my biggest worry. --> Unfortunately I am not aware what type of HU is provided from the factory,whether it has Pre Outs or not,if yes then how many, I dont know.
    Assuming there would be atleast 1 Pre out then you can use that pre out for your front speakers,assuming you would be using an amplifier.
    No such problems in case of a coaxial set.

3. Based on this change, should I go for door damping? --> In my honest opinion, you shouldn't do it. I'll explain why. If you want to do proper damping, you need minimum of 20-30 Sq.ft. of it and the normal sheets cost around 100/- Sq.ft. which comes to ~ 3000/- which is not required for such a basic setup. I would say use this money for buying better speakers or else cables.
    1 person likes this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.