1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto-need suggestions for service related to exterior deep scratch

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by FIATboy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. FIATboy

FIATboy Timido

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi,

Had my Punto Evo in Feb2015. Driven happily around without a hassle.
    During parking inside my home, I made deep scratch in left rear wheel arch & left back door ( little dent also). When i approached workshop, they quoted nearly 11K for insurance (10k in cash, since body shop camp is going on), for painting entire wheel arch & entire left door.
    even though little bit scratch in left back door, I was told that my entire door has to be repainted and this applies to all exterior.

I have few queries
    1) Is the quote correct - paint left rear wheel arch , left back door & a small dent in left rear wheel arch
    2) whether i should go for insurance or not, I know that i'll lose NCB, but that's not i'm worried about. Whethet this has anything to do with any other parameters like the credibility

But i ceratinly dont want to do it myself
    Please help. uploading scratch picture

scratch2.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 5, 2015 ---
    another query:
    also , i need a clarification. if i leave this scratch without painted, will this get rusted soon. this I was told in the workshop. Is that for real ?
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    out side of FASS, this should not be more than 3K job as they can carefully paint the damaged area. But FASS(All authorized including all major brands) is very smart, they want to make easy money and don't want to take risk of mismatch.

You only need to take the call.As these are metal parts, you should do it ASAP.
  3. FIATboy

FIATboy Timido

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks pdash.
    one question. what If I get this done outside FASS, what's the negative side of that ? means , am I losing the quality of my car, since outside they might not have correct paint quality or any other things I should be aware of ?
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    In any case paint color matching is not a major issue today because they typically take the fuel tank lid and get the matching color (some computerized system matches the paint). However, later the job of merging painted and unpainted areas is the tricky one. Only experienced painters can get it right. Therefore you should get it done from a place known to do good matching of the painted area to original paint. Good workshops do such a great job that nobody can make out painted areas at all. You can look for a Sikkens (AkzoNobel) trained/approved shop. They have the required technology and knowledge to do good job. They will also have the right paint quality and color matching too.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If you are looking at not painting it for now. Try to use waxpol rubbing compound and apply some carnuba or any wax paint protectant to the surface later that should protect the bare sheet metal. Alternatively after applying rubbing compound you could live with just a retouching job of those areas for now. May not need to go for complete panel repaints right away.
  6. ugandhar

ugandhar Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

Yes, it will form rust.
    they have to paint the complete door and wheel arch, one of my friend had same kind of scratches (little deeper) and it costs 7K out side of FASS. He has done without insurance.
  7. FIATboy

FIATboy Timido

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Friends, thanks for your valuable suggestions
  8. gShrey

gShrey Timido

Mahadevpura
    bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    hey @FIATboy ,
    i had a similar experience. Actually it was little worse then this. Why do not you claim insurance? I had comprehensive cover so had to pay 1k for the complete job. Yes it will get rusted, this happened with me. One more suggestion get it fixed on time. In my case i thought i will get it fixed after a month or so, unfortunately i got another hit on other side of car and had a problems while filing the claim.
  9. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    Even within FASS if we want a paint job to be done without insurance, they do give good discounts. Just ask them about this.