1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto MJD Gearbox

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Roadking, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Can you please let us know the difference in weight?
  2. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    +1 to that. 6 th gear is essentially needed for a car like punto. Already it delivers ~21 kmpl when cruising at 100 kmph. Though it affects the drivability a bit, adding an additional gear can shoot the Fuel efficiency up high close to 25 kmpl!!!

A quick question. As we all know that the Gear ratios of puntos running in western countries are different to indian puntos, why cant we source the gear components from outside and put it in our cars? IIRC punto with 90hp engine in europe does 0-100 in 12.xx sec. At the end of the day the roads of western countries cannot be compared to indian roads and hence gear box made for those roads may fail to perform well in indian road conditions :evilsmile.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    No the gearbox is different, the ones we get is C530 and the ones in Europe is C635. It would be a costly affair to try and plonk that gearbox here with various sensors, drive axles, etc
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Indian MJD engine may not accept Italian gear-box transplant
    coz Indian MJD is tuned for Indian fuel quality.

I had discuss with Mr. Sharma who is product manager of GP
    He told me Fiat has tuned MJD as per average Indian fuel quality
    I asked what does he mean average fuel quality
    He told me as in India genuine fuel is rare. Many bunks do smart adulteration.

So fiat has kept gear ratios to suit average fuel quality. Got it?

One more point from Mr. Sharma- Fiat has kept gear ratio by studying Indian driving style & habbit also.

As many Indians has habbit to lug engine. They don't change gears judiciously as per demand from engine. That's why fiat has gifted us gearbox having short gear ratio.

@ roadking weight of old GP & Linea was heavy
    Weight of new fiat cars after 2010 is equal to M swift & Dzire.

Though weight is almost same but point of weight-distribution is also imp
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    ^^ How fuel quality is related to the gearbox and the ratios?

The engine tuning and gearbox is more relevant and the fuel quality can dictate the tuning of the engine. I am surprised to read that the gearbox was designed keeping in mind the fuel quality. Why fiat is still using the C530 gearbox is due to cost and not related to fuel quality.
    1 person likes this.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @bhai, that's something new to me.. kerb weight of Punto is 1190 kgs..I guess swift is much lighter than Punto.

P.S that's a different story that I never checked out swift ever and secondly, I never compared swift with Punto ;)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Never mind its weekend hangover for Bhai.
  8. There os already weight reduction in punto by compromising the bit of safety compared to pre sep 2011 cars, I am happy to drive heavy car with proper crash gaurds than a lighter car which will compete with Swift.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Mr. Sharma told only about tunning of MJD as per average Indian fuel quality.
    He did not told about gear ratio. It's my personal opinion that fiat may kept gear ratio as per tunning of Indian MJD which runs on adulterated fuel

One more point someone had mentioned GP & Linea are average peformance cars. Fiat has tunned engine for drivability.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is no compromise with safety of fiat cars.
    It is true that Fiat reduced weight by using thin metal.
    But they use thin metal only to the unnecessary locations where possibility of colliasion is rare.

I don't think that fiat might have fitted less crumple zone to new light-weight cars.

Fiat has done weight reduction. But it is smart weight reduction.
    1 person likes this.