1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto MJD Gearbox

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Roadking, Apr 11, 2013.

1. In 0-100 Punto 90 is slower than Swift 75. But on top speed and speeds more than 100 Swift doesn't stand a chance. 100 - 160, Punto 90 is faster than most other hatch back, I don't know about i20 since post 120 in i20, my eyes always sees a Warning Message stating "You are entering the dangerest zone, would you like to continue ?"
    2 people like this.
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Gear ratio changes? At what cost? Just enjoy your ride. At gears less than 3 you need not worry as you are not going to drive in a track but in a very potholed roads of India. Just have fun with the gearbox we have in our Punto.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA

Sure guys we shall discuss this further during our meet...

Have to agree on that, however we all really dont drive ghats on a regular basis do we? I am talking about response on highways, you cannot keep cruising at 140 and above on Indian highways and the sweet spot or rather comfortable zone is between 100-120 so imagine the time you could save if the gearbox was as good as the swift.. On indian highways you have to slow down more often and then reach back to the sweet spot so the time lost is comparatively more...

Cost is not the concern and neither is enjoying my ride - The question for me is Could it be done? Everyone loves to have a fast car- Don't they?
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I am with Bhai on this one. We discussed this on TFI quite a bit.

The Swift, both old and new are laggy and linear power delivery is not its forte. All that turbo whoooosh gets boring after a while when the engine Falls flat on its face outside the turbo zone.

2 people like this.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ roadking
    I am also saying that on Indian highway we have to slow down frequently.
    So to reach upto the sweet spot effortlessly short gear ratio is useful.

Here the concept of sweet spot doesn't mean maniac acceleration.
    What the sweet spot is, to recover torque with less throttle input without gear change

Short gear ratio is useful on both track.
    In ghat section & on flat road also.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    5 people like this.
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    My only grouse with the current gear box is lack of the 6th cog with an overdrive which ensures the engine spins around 2000-2100 rpm at 100 kph. This would have helped the engine run more relaxed on the highways and still deliver the good mileage.
    1 person likes this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

get a remap you will see the engine running more relaxed. There are many of us here who have got remaps done from TOT and you can contact anyone of us for a TD.

You can even contact and TD all our cars to just see how different each of our cars are.
    My car is about 30% different from Sat's car and our car is different from bna's car by many folds. so on and so on
  8. Guys can we club both remap and chip tuning together? I mean has anyone tried a tuning box on a remapped car? By theory it has to be highest level of tuning we can do isnt it?
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Reduce the weight of your Punto to swift category and then talk about gear ratios.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

tanks are built for safety ;)