1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto MJD Gearbox

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Roadking, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Trying to kick off a conversation and looking for inputs from the technically sound

As we all know, the Punto fails in front of the Swift just solely because of the gear ratios when it comes to performance, the gear ratios are so bad that there is a 3+ second difference when it comes to 0-100 timings and off the block responsiveness... The first and the second gears are the main cause of this..

So my questions is - Could the swift's gearbox be mated to the Punto's MJD engine? I have heard that it could be done but have not come across any substantial proof..

Or could it be possible to adjust the gearbox ratios in the current gearbox of the punto? If that is possible what other mods/alterations would need to be performed?

Do a remap is the best answer I have heard, however i know for a sure fact that even if the remap is performed it doesnt change the ratios of the gears...

I am not even close to being technically sound but trying to understand what could be done with the gearbox- Is there a way out?
    5 people like this.
  2. I have done a remap and I don't see a need for gear ratio change or change of gearbox but what i would like to is 6th gear or a CVT gearbox.
    4 people like this.
  3. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Have you done a before and after dyno runs of the car? Who did the remap? Any 0-100 tests? Are you running a custom map?

I have heard from the best tuner that remaps on Fiats dont help much thanks to the gearbox....
    1 person likes this.
  4. I have to do the dyno but car is zooming to 5000 RPM !! that it self first hand assurance about improvement.I am on my 4th custom map.
    I think who ever that tuner is , he hasn't tuned the car properly or just saying some thing for the heck of it.

Since you are in bangalore, let us try meeting at TFI meet this sunday,hope fully I will be there.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Roadking you are coming to the meet right , you can drive my car or if sat is coming his car as well.
    Both our cars have custom maps (both of the maps are totally different tunes).
    See what you like and then we can discuss ;-p
    2 people like this.
  6. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I am not technically sound either but my research suggests that a remap wouldn't help much with a Punto/Linea. The most horrendous gear ratios on a car in this Country.
    Everybody swears by the MJD in India but Fiat managed to **** it up in their own cars.
  7. A nice discussion indeed. Even I have thought about if swapping Linea MJD Gear box with Punto 90 HP is possible, I wish to try that.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ roadking & others

Gear ratio on M Swift gives only attractive acceleration.
    In GP & Linea we get perfect combination of acceleration & pulling torque.

I have used DDiS for 60000 km.
    I have also used MJD for 60000 km. ( FGT+VGT)

After using both engines 60000 km I noticed that gear ratio of DDiS doesn't give proper output after specific age of engine

Short gear ratio gives less acceleration but it is boon in ghat section.
    In ghat section you have to operate clutch & gear more frequently
    where MJD easily rules over DDiS.

Negative factors of gear ratio of DDiS are seen after using car more than 40000 km.
    7 people like this.
  9. I thought short gearing helps in acceleration may be i am wrong.
  10. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    if the gear box or gear ratio is same in 90 and 75ps Punto then will the 75ps Swift outperform 90ps Punto in performance or am i wrong here.. Can we have detailed comparison reports please