1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto MJD 90HP vs Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI (Head-on-Head on highway)

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by ENKI, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    i just wonder what would have the scene if it was a "RAPID" vs "BRAVO" :rolleyes:
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Ha..ha..You will know it yourself when things comes to you..I will say my MJD opened up after 15000km.untill then it was noisy and strained.Now I can bet at 17000 it is smooth and buttery . though I restricted revving up untill 10000km other than infrequently for short whiles.

I wont say it is a sensible comparison as Punto 90 hp is very much de-tuned for Fuel efficiency and BS4 standards (probably vw1.6 too).
    1 person likes this.
  3. Well said, It all depends on driver ability, like every body can click using camera but there is a marked difference when a expert does the same.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I am willing to discuss it further actually. I always had big doubt on FIAT's claim about retuning of MJD according to Indian condition & FE. They say it is tuned for Indian performance. But the torque graph is pretty much European.
    You know something is wrong when you drive it too. Obviously the base for this assumption is "such a strong top range is useless in India".
    Doesn't it look like an engine like where you would like to drive over 150 which is only possible on European highways. They could use all that torque to strengthen lower & middle range. MAN!! It doesn't work half hard when reaching from 140 to 180 km/hr that it does from 0-30 km/hr. I am smelling a rat here.

While i am stating below, Pls note that RAPID driver has to be a "GOOD ONE" who knows exact strength of it's engine. Anything lesser than this, will result into an embarrassment for Vento/Rapid because of inherent cruel attitude of Italian wild cat. The RAPID owner really had some driving skills with deep know-how & complete feel of his car. Though i was rewarded "no skidding" for being in punto, he managed very well to come out of the skidding.

For 1.6 TDI vs MJD-1, if i imagine a head on from the rest (0 km/hr), i would say RAPID should be around 40-45 Feet ahead of Punto till it reaches 120. Reason is obvious as i have witnessed that 1.6 TDI is tuned to deliver most of it's torque by the time it catches 120-130 kmph starting at 1500 RPM only. That's perfect for Indian condition. Another reason i fell behind was that RAPID/VENTO's 3rd gear seems to cover it's widest range unlike Punto's more likely equally spaced last 4 gears. Punto is very strict for over revving. It should catch around 125-130 against Punto's 100-110. A gear change at 100 km/hr obviously hamper the vehicle for 1-2 secs.

In that strong upper range, it will narrow the gap since punto is in it's 4th & it's time for RAPID to up-shift. I am sure it would touch the RAPID if not overtake by the end if we had continued. by comparison, if 100 marks for Rapid, then around 98 to Punto for being almost "as fast".
    Linea would almost close the case (100/99.98) as engine feels more responsive in Linea.

@Tarun:The conclusion is, it doesn't require 1.6 MJD (VGT) or even 1.6 (FGT) to compete RAPID.
    Punto would eat RAPID & Vento alive even with basic 1.6 MJD (105 Bhp, 290 NM@1500) & without a pinch of salt or a sip of water. More interestingly, 1248 MJD-2 would close the case in Punto (95 Bhp, 240 Nm@1500) or even a tuning box with stage 1 configuration only with Stock 90 Hp.
    So Bravo is not required, Punto can easily do that provided another 10-15 NM of torque.

I hope the case study was informative.
  5. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    ^^ Aye man, you should have a Tuning box :D
    i mean people who loves to Drive like you, should have a tuning box .. to squeeze out Sum extra Juice ..
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. The Punto's long clutch & long throw eats into some performance . I guess if it could keep with the Rapid then it could easily be quicker than the i20 diesel.

But i guess its a bit risky to do such things in our roads.
  7. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    Not sure Ramesh.. What would be the result in a long straight. I still feel Rapid will win hands down in a straight. I lost recently with an XUV even at 180 with my TJet. So the displacement and power figures matters during long straights. Curves are a different story though.:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

You nailed it. "My Punto 90HP EGO" has somewhat being shaken a bit & that is more than sufficient itching.:-?
    Already it's in my mind since yesterday. I will wait till 15000 Kms though & not being impatient. Better to avoid that 40-100 kind of sprint with RAPID/VENTO till then.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

That's another cluster bomb:-(. How come XUV do that? Pls tell me that you pulled off intentionally.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Thats strange because I was searching on the net and I found that the top speed of XUV is mentioned to be 185Kmh while for linea t-jet its 200Kph...so probabbly you must have given up :D but there's nothing bad in it!! :smile:
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @sathya_sc, Congrats for such an Impossible feat with T-jet!!!..:A

BTW how come with a jet ?? I heard it can go more than 190kmph

and BHP/ton ratio of t-jet is far better than XUV IMO.

Fiat walon ki naak kat gayi and how come "nothing bad in it" ..!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.