1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto MJD 90HP vs Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI (Head-on-Head on highway)

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by ENKI, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Today, While returning from Gurgaon, off NH-8 & parallel to IGI Airport, an incidence happened which i am bothered to bring TFI's notice. I happened to check Punto side by side with Skoda Rapid, compare it's real world's performance & other parameters.

At one of the stop n go light, i saw skoda rapid approaching me. You know it when some-one is inviting in your rear side-view mirror.

I slowed down till he gets alongside (around 50 Kmph in 3rd gear). Once he was, we pushed pedals as hard as we could. Well, people a slight bit of disappointment.

To my amazement, Rapid was slowly inching away from me. By the time i reached 100 Kmph , i had no option but to up-shift to 4th. I was about to over-rev it & engine cuts off the fuel when you over rev. (around 5100 RPM i guess). That would have caused me to lose the race by a big margin (since a blank spot of 2 secs of fuel cut). To avoid that situation, i had to up shift. Skoda clearly sailing now instead of
    inching & it made some 10-15 feet of difference by the time I reached 120. I was angry & frustrated as i was not losing but "just losing". IMO, 15-20 feet of distance is not a big margin.

Here the moment arrives i was praying for, as i was climbing from 120 onwards, the Rapid stopped inching away maintaining same 10-15 feet distance.

Around 135, a bigger surprise was waiting. I started inching closer to Rapid now. My eyes were wide open & i was pushing down the paddle just soft enough not to tear the metal sheet. I started inching closer & Rapid's owner was pretty much aware of this as Punto's Maserati grill was getting bigger n bigger in his rear view.

But here comes the worst moment. There were two useless 407 waiting for us just 250 feet or so. I looked at ODO & it was around 145. I smiled as i got the answer. Punto would have got the RAPID since there is enough of the juice left in Punto at 145 Kmph. Not only this, i also got the answer how i could keep up with a BMW 320 D till the end (the race started at 110 Kmph only). Not only this, i managed to come out with some more positives.

Then starts the braking session obviously. Rapid's rear tires were clearly skidding on the tarmac & i was closer to it at that moment. Man, there were pebbles raining all over my front shield. But hey, Punto was in full control & not a drunkard one like RAPID. Pls note that we both were at the same speed since distance between us remained constant. I accelerated ahead intentionally when Rapid was slowing down & again put brake to show him that i can stop 2 times before you do. I was a little pissed off because the Race didn't reach it's ultimate fate.

Anyways, i wasn't interested anymore since we were down to 50kmph again & i could see floating traffic some 500 ms ahead. Had i gone for another race, that would have been another defeat, aimless Tyre screeching/braking & irresponsible driving being the traffic ahead.

I gave thumbs up the guy & gestured him that "race is over". He was happy though but deep inside, i am sure he had some niggle that "why Punto's grill was getting bigger@130 kmph when it was supposed to lag behind further."

Outcomes:

1. Sorry, nothing to say about interior, neither i am interested into this thing but Rapid is one good car (easily better than a Vento) assuming that it would have livable interior.

2. Same old result, nothing can with-stand to Punto when it comes carrying high speeds

3. Brakes & stopping power were not a match at all. I hope they were not 4 disc brakes otherwise it would be shocking. I would assume that it was base diesel (Non ABS)??

4. 1.6 TDI is a fine engine & the only potent one outside FIAT range (for this segment). Though we are comparing 1248 Cc MJD-1 with 1.6 TDI (2011) but Rapid was loaded with 3 average built guys.

5. Though mileage point looks applicable, all that Engine open up local concepts doesn't make sense to me.
    I felt it more powerful earlier since i have been driving aggressively from the start. I guess people try to limit themselves for first 2000-3000 kms & then suddenly rev it one day, feels like engine has opened up. Sorry, that's an illusion. I have heard though that FIAT engines are tuned to give only 80-85% for first 10000 Kms, that what i am waiting for. It's a clear winner then.

6. My Punto has covered around 8600 Kms on date & i feel air filter need some cleaning.I will get my fuel/air filters cleaned & check if there is some noticeable improvement. If it is noticed, one can hope to minimize those 10-15 feet.

7. If against FIAT, Mid range (60-120) is weak as compared to 1.6 TDI. In support of FIAT, no sub 15 lakh car (except Cruze) can touch you when you are above 120 kmph. Top range is just awesome. Still wonder, how useful it could be in India?
    4 people like this.
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I have seen Aneesh Chopra zooming past me in his 90HP on GT Karnal road when i was at 160 kmph and he generally used to disappear in a while.
    2 people like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    After Fiat, I always have a better feel on Skodas. I once had a terrific time with a Fabia TDI (3 Cylinder engine). Though he was not able to overtake me, he almost kept pace with me even at 160/170 Kmph.
  4. Man I have had similar experience with a Innvova few months back with my 76HP Punto in bangalore-mysore state highway.although it looks little childish to engage ourselves in ego drives once in a while it should be ok.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @ENKI, my friend i will strongly advice not to post something you posted above!

I get your point & your idea behind this post but still brother it'll be great if you keep this experiance away from others.

We all know capability of our MJD & our amazing breaking ability. But getting involve in such practice may result in fatal incidents!
    Life is not so cheap to be lost in bl**dy car comparision! You can test em on tracks.

Even though your motive is innocent, their are many heads out there who might get your post in wrong manner & might try to Race their cars on street taking inspiration from your post, which is not atall SAFE!

Please guys drive safely on road & do not attemp this neck to neck drag on our highways.
    You might be the best driver but there are no. of fools on our roads who may mess up pretty big. Our roads are not that safe to try such things.

Please don't get me wrong bro but if you'll experiance it, then only you will understand my point.

So drive carefully & safe man, ''Its not race, keep the space!''
    15 people like this.
  6. You are 110% right, I drive to Mysore often it used to a single lane road now it's is 4 lane road, what I observe is people from either cities try drive fast and little careless too.
    May be it's the way of enjoying for them but if you aren't into such and try driving sensibility one is subjected to sudden breaking or change of lanes without signal.
    I try to keep myself to fixed band of speed but I have faced many maroons who try to challenge in the midst of highway.

One of my friend lost his life by ramming his car(although he was not driving the car) to parked truck due to same adrenalin rush as he was troubled by a Indica taxi driver for some time on kolar-bangalore road.his wife did not even attend the last service prayers as she was in coma for a week.his son died on spot as my friend held him tightly once his head was severed.

I never hated driving so much as i did in those days.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

That was one wonderful family gesture from TFI. I completely agree & i did think twice before posting it. I must clarify that road on which we encountered was pretty much like a track during noon hrs. There was hardly any traffic in the visible vicinity so we mutually agreed but unspoken.
    As soon as i saw some traffic, i immediately signed to the guys that i am not going to carry it further.
    So i ensured mine as well as theirs security. They acknowledged it too.
    But the outcome was so informative, i couldn't hold back, in-fact don't have any right to hold back as it would be unfair to TFIans. It gives us a clear picture to weigh guts of our vehicle in real world scenario.
    I apologize on this, i was in a fix.
    Thanks, TFI is one hell of a place!:up
  8. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    No doubt about that mate! :)
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Friends, this is real world comparison between VW 1.6TDI & 1.248 Multijet 90.
    I would be disappointed if anyone takes the message in a wrong sense. Just be sportive as it was only to point out weakness & strength of Multijet comparing it with another state of the art international engine.

I was very fortunate to witness this comparison, i repeat witness the "COMPARISON" & not "RACE". I appeal to just take the update from the thread instead of some adrenaline rush. Thanks!:confused
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    On a highway, I really don't see much of difference between 1.6 TDI and 1.3 MJD VGT. The cars handling and the drivers ability will matter a lot on a highway. I really don't see much of difference with respect to Power but yes Vento is more torquey.

1.6 TDI
    Power in PS - 105 @ 4400
    in BHP - 103.63
    Torque - 250 @ 1500-2500

1.3 MJD VGT
    Power in PS - 93 @ 4000
    in BHP - 92.72
    Torque - 209 @ 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.