1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto MJD 1.3 , abnormal Noise while Starting the Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amitparmar4, Jul 12, 2013.

1. amitparmar4

amitparmar4 Timido

In My Punto MJD Emotion Pack 1.3,
    While starting the Engine in the morning,
    the abnormal sound

chir rr rrr rr

came from engine.

i have doubt that its noise of timing chain.

it it required to replace the timing chain in 75 hp punto.

kinldy suggest.
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

How many kms it has done?
    It can be the timing chain,does it come everytime after a cold start?
    Check alternator belt as well.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It is really tough to diagnose sounds online. Best bet is to take it to the dealer for confirmation.
  4. Is it a sort of squeaking sound? Then it could be the timing belt. I had this issue with my previous Palio Petrol right from the second service onwards. The service guy told be that it is not a problem to worry about. The sound would vanish after a km of running, and will reappear on the next cold start. Changed the timing belt at 60k. No sound after that.

Suggest you take it to the Service and get it checked. Could be due to more serious problems as well.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Suggest you to take it to the service centre nearest to you at the earliest. Most of the FIAT service workshops are having a check up camp where you might be offered a discount on the spares cost & labour too. The camp is being held today & tomorrow i.e 13th July. Suggest you get the noise checked ASAP. And do let us know the outcome of the diagnosis and solutions.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Please get it checked ASAP! if timing chain snaps while running, it can cause lot of damage to many other engine parts!
    It is not recommended by Fiat to change but if any problem is found, it will be replaced under warranty/extended warranty

Punto/Linea mjd have timing chain not belt!
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Squeaking sound means that some belt is slipping , it may be ac, ps or alternator belt , these belts overt time become hard , develop slack and they slip when cold, once you run for couple of kms, they get heated up, and work just fine,

but it can never be a timing belt, timing belt have horizontal slots, and do they never slip but can only cut .

Sent from my XOLO A700 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Sujit, The slipping is not in the teeth. As you told, the belt and gear teeth can never slip. The belt not only passes through the cam gear wheels but also through some pulleys. The back sides of the belt slips against the pulleys and this cause the sound. The pulley heats up due to this friction and expands and the sound vanishes. Since it doesnt intervene with the functionality of the timing belt, it is not a major concern. The timing belts are made with tough nitrile rubber reinforced with kevlar strings and hence is very strong itself. But as you mentioned, the sound can also come from other belts as well.

Courtsey of explaination: To a good knowledgeable SA who inspected my Palio for this sound and confirmed that everything is ok. He proved to be right after several years. When i changed the timing belt after 60k, the sound vanished. i assume that this is related to the contact surface of the backside of the belt(it was flat and smooth).
    1 person likes this.