1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto: metal squealing/ rubbing noise on cold start

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pradeepsangwan, Nov 16, 2014.

1. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    On a cold startup after parked for overnight my car makes a metal squealing/ rubbing sound.

Can anyone please suggest, what can be the reason for this?

What is required to be done to get this resolved?
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Get it check asap. It could be one of the engine mounts gone bad or something more serious like the timing chain.
    pradeepsangwan likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How many KMs your car is driven? This could be a symptom of timing chain.
  4. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My car has run more than 83500 kms total and around 2000km after timing chain replacement, this sound is not the timing chain sound as per my perception this seems like some thing else, yes during timing chain replacement, we discovered a crack one on engine mount.
    My understanding is issues related to engine mount should shown signs of excessive vibration in cabin as well as engine compartment and show similar behavior even during the car is running on road. but this problem is only occurs for a sec on cold start up and I have never listen this inbetween till next cold start
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Usually along with the timing chain, the pulleys, also known as driving/driven gears are replaced.
    @pradeep , can you confirm if these were replaced along with the timing chain.
    Ravi likes this.
  7. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ shams Yes, it was complete set replacement including the tensioner as well as both of the gears replacement.
  8. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    please check if the power steering oil reservoir is empty or below low..
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 29, 2014 ---
    this could cause this noise during a cold start and will go off when the engine warms up... But the oil needs to be topped up immediately and will kill the pump if not.
  9. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sounds are stopped now by itself .. not sure what happened to car which results so?