1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto.....Is it a sensible buy?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by gego, Jul 21, 2014.

1. gego

gego Timido

Malappuram
    Hi dear friends,
    I always wanted to but a Fiat Grande punto and still dream of owning one.
    I just saw the pics of the new model. I found the old one much better to look at.
    I currently own 2 cars, a swift dzire and a ritz, both diesel.
    The only obstacle or rather the hindrance that is preventing me from buying the punto is the horrible service stories associated with the Fiat vehicles.
    I travel alot mostly in Malappuram, Kerala. There is just one service center in Calicut and the next in Thrissur. I have heard alot of horror stories from both these places.
    The other factor is the costs. After divorcing from Tata, I've now heard that service costs has increased a lot. Servicing a maruti vehicle is no longer cheap but I am assured piece of mind at the end of the day.
    Please comment,
    Gegi
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    You must talk with someone from Calicut or Thrissur to know about the quality of service. After becoming independent, Fiat has improved a lot in terms of service. You can contact my friend Afzal to know about the service centre in Thrissur. I'll PM his number to you.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
  4. shanmugam

shanmugam Amatore

Chennai
    I owns punto for the last 2 years , it is an awesome vehicle, Service intervals will tellls story that the maintenance cost is bit less.
    I come across with 2 services in chennai , not bad at all.
    I hope experts will tell you more on that. I feel happy on owning punto
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Please be totally satisfied on your service support and spares queries before you buy. I suggest you take opinion locally and ask around first to other Punto owners. Any particular service center can excel in some areas or give bad service to customers within a very short span of time. So you will need to establish a trust-based relationship with the key personnel who can ensure your car gets best service and support. What you can do is identify those people beforehand based on other Fiat owner's experiences.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    A sensible question on a sensible forum will get a sensible answer. Yes Punto is a sensible buy.

Looking at the way Fiat is expanding its service network, its not far that you might find one in your backyard i.e in your city I mean.

Fiat spare costs are very much comparable with other manufacturers price list, so this shouldnt be the deciding parameter.

By any chance have you test driven the Punto? If so then the questions you asked will be put to back burner.
    2 people like this.
  7. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I own a punto for last 2.5 yrs and i am totally satisfied with service post split from Tata. As of now the New punto is just smashing you should go for it.
  8. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto ...if it's a sensible buy???? You are asking this in a TFI forum heeee...
    :clappingBeing Sensible is :
    1. Buying cars which have service centres in every nook and corner.
    2. Spare parts are available everywhere , anywhere
    3. Spares are very cheap saaaarrr.
    4. Resale value is very good saaarrrr...

Point 1 and 2 is a big hog wash. Just a crap being sold to teh indian buyer's mind . A false sense of security
    Point 3 is another ballant bogus claim. (if u compare similar segments)
    All service centres have their issues. Some parts need to be ordered and takes time in all centres.

Now point 4. : Fiat shouldn't be bought because we already are thinking about selling it. I couldn't really understand this philosophy. Own it because you love it, you want it and you wanna feel pride wen you look at it every morning, every day.

So im not sure if we guys here at TFI are sensible. We are bloody crazy people. Wild hearts. Guys who love their machines.

. If you love punto as you said, there's no reason not to go for it. Join us , Be crazy, Be Wild, Be with a fiat.....cheeeers.
    :wow
  9. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    dear Gegi...

I can't comment on the experience of the dealers north of Thrissur, I have no experience. But, the south of Thrissur, I do have experience and sharing it here. In general, the service has improved, more or less same as any other brand. (compared to my other car- a maruti wagonR or other regular car in family - a santro).
    Plus, with 15,000 km intervals, you do not have to run to service centre every now and then.
    For all the problems you have faced with the service centre or others, they will just vanish you get behind the steering wheels and wheels start rolling.
    A FIAT is a very sensible buy !!! Go ahead.

For reference, my experience with service guys in brief:
    I purchased Linea from Hyson, Thrissur (They did not fit the absolute kit on the delivery day, but, got them fitted at Concorde Ernakulam - free of charge).
    I have done 15,000 km service at Hyson, Kochi (5400/- Some worker flicked my usb stick, which they sent me back - free of charge)
    I had ordered for a spare folding remote key, Hyson, Kochi wanted to flick 2000 as service charge. I complained to FIAT and they gave me back!
    I have doen 30,000 km service at Mohandas, Trivandrum (6,300/- excluding brake pads) - no complaints about service.
    But, after 1st service, my car had developed rear wheel alignment problems, which I failed to catch it by myself. I should have checked alignment at every 5000 km, but did not do anything till 15,000 km. But, once I found it, I took the car to Mohandas Fiat, Trivandrum (5 occassions to be precise) and now the car is free from alignment problem - its fixing has been done free of cost - they even re-fit the rear alignment once.
  10. gego

gego Timido

Malappuram
    thanks a lot everyone for posting your advice here

I have driven punto both the diesel versions before i got swift 5 years back. Found the turbo lag to much more than swift, but the handling was superb.
    The points which tilted the balance towards maruti swift were low ground clearance in the punto then and Tata After sales service. I had Tata safari before so i have personal first hand experience with them.
    My swift dzire has completed 80000 in five years and ritz has done 56000km in three years, without any issues. Im planning to get the punto but skeptical. I went through service experiences here as well in teambhp. Marina motors Calicut, hyson Thrissur and Skyhigh Malappuram have all cases against them in consumer courts. I am not saying that they are doing a bad job, but these kind of reviews just put you off. in this forum in service experiences, almost everyone has had some issue with their vehicle and servicing or repairing the vehicle takes at least a couple or more days. Im used to getting my car same day back. On Sunday I met a guy at the alignment center with a punto, and he was fed up with alignment problems he has had so far, infact he was more than happy to sell his car off to me, but since the car has an alignment issue, kept away.
    Anyway i just hope that a good service center crops up in my city, till then i will stay away from fiat.
    Thanks alot,
    Gego