1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Since this is not a common problem, Fiat shouldn't hesitate to give a replacement. Come on this is a manufacturing defect and you give a replacement. What is the big deal?
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    One more thing you can do is Tell FIAT that you will highlight this to Auto Car India(ACI) and send these snaps to them. Somewhere I read that ACI supports customers in these kind of issues and they will take up the matter with FIAT.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I too have rust in doors of my Linea
    Problem is with the joints which stores water which results in rusting. Joint I think have missed the anti rust treatment.
    And I think this a common problem with cars manufactured in 2009.
    My car is July 2009 Manufactured Bossa Nova White Emotion Pack delivered on 1 Sept 2009.

I request anybody suffering from rust please specify their Manufacturing month, year and color of the car. And also specify if you car is parked without a covered garage.
    I remember Fiat used Tata Paint Shop to paint it's car till it's paint shop was ready can this be issue or the cars which got painted in brand new Fiat Paint shop have problems.

I seriously think it's the car's which got painted in new paint shop have these rusting problems. A new machinery always have some problem which are fine tuned later when some problems are found and unfortunately it seems we have these cars which slipped fiat QC as rust would not have shown so shortly after painting
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    While washing and cleaning , i found two rust spots on our Linea. Its Jan 2011 manufactured. We got it home on 31st March.
    The first pic is of the right rear door locking mechanism.
    The second is of the boot lid.

No, its not parked in a covered garage.

Planning on getting them rubbed and touched up with matching paint whenever i visit the service centre.
    Yes, it is disappointing to find them on so new a car.

Gurjinder.

rsz_21042011627.jpg

rsz_21042011625.jpg
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Rust in your case have occurred due to paint chipping off. Paint might have chipped when doors and boot settings were getting adjusted to body for perfect alignment with rest of the body. Though it is poor QC by Fiat and poor PDI by dealer.

Notice the second photo posted by Gurjinder you can clearly see that now there is a heavy coating of paint over the offending joints to stop water from getting into contact with the joints.
    This proves that Fiat do know about these rusting issues with some cars and have rectified that in new cars but what about early buyers.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I didnt get which joint you were referring to. Can you post a pic of the same area of your Linea. We can then have a comparison b/w the 2009 and the 2011 models.

Gurjinder.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    See the joints which I have encircled in the photos.
    First one of Nitin Punto door and second of your Linea boot.
    The comparison is not fair but I would post my linea's boot photo in a short time.

RRDoor-3.jpg

rsz_21042011627.jpg
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    First pic is of my boot and I hope the photo you have posted is of your boot.
    And I can't see the hydraulic shocker in your car?

Second photo is of my front passenger side door. On all other doors rust is negligible am thinking of doing a thick coat of paint over them after rubbing them.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00076.jpg
  9. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    bad really bad from fiat. even my car has got rust. though negligible but it is there
  10. I own a BNW Punto Active. It is August 2009 make and I am with her from December 2009. It has rust in few places. I sent my car to TASS for fixing that along with broken CSC (that is altogether a different story). While taking delivery, I can not believe my eyes. The half of the rusty parts are not fixed. Before digesting the ignorance of SA, I noticed small dots of rust emerging in the bonnet. Looks like I need to under go a tough time getting the rust problem resolved.