1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I bought my car in August 2009. It is almost 20 months now. After going through this thread I checked my car for any signs of rust. So far I couldn't find any.
    I have not done any kind of rust protection - 3M, Teflon, under body coating - absolutely nothing. So I believe this rust issue is a problem with a particular batch.
  2. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Future cars may come with rust free process. what about us, who have rusted cars.
    Also, wall between passanger and engine cabin is rusted in my car. Apart from this, joints in engine area is also rusted. They can replace doors, fenders, bonnet etc but how they will treat mine.

Also, if rusted is not treated properly it will eat the stregth of metal for sure, how risky this can be even in case small accident. Small accident will also turned to major.

Why they did not test things prior to launch. Door biddings, CSC, AC and now rust. I think we as a group , should take this matter with FIAT. And if they dont treat us properly, start legal fight.
  3. Nitin, put pressure on FIAT to change the entire shell of the car which should solve the problem. I think the problem is with a particular batch of cars. Even my earlier Linea 1.4 (vocal white) had this issue but was sorted out with rust treatement & painting at tass.
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Future cars may come with rust free process. what about us, who have rusted cars.
    Also, wall between passanger and engine cabin is rusted in my car. Apart from this, joints in engine area is also rusted. They can replace doors, fenders, bonnet etc but how they will treat mine.

Also, if rusted is not treated properly it will eat the stregth of metal for sure, how risky this can be even in case small accident. Small accident will also turned to major.

Why they did not test things prior to launch. Door biddings, CSC, AC and now rust. I think we as a group , should take this matter with FIAT. And if they dont treat us properly, start legal fight.
  5. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai
    Anybody in Mumbai for a quick get-together to check each others cars to see if some parts of our cars are rusted?

Naveen
  6. srinivaschandalada

srinivaschandalada Amatore

Kakinada
    kakinada
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Too bad nitin, i cant believe its a fiat, it would be common if it were a indica or an ambi. I had previously owned a uno for 4 years and later on a palio for 6 years and now a Nov 2010 punto. I live a few 100 meters from the beach, but have never found even a single spec of rust on my uno and palio. I haven't used any sort of teflon nor anti rust under body coating etc. The paint was as good as new when i sold my car.

But going by your pictures i am shocked. My punto is just 5 months old and must be too early to catch rust. I closely inspected my car and was relieved to find no rust. Someone on the fourm felt that you must have got a damaged or a trial piece,i too feel the same. Or the cars of a particular batch must be suffering from this problem. Fiat is very famous for its solid body and anti rust characteristics, but your pictures have changed that. I am sure fiat will look into this problem and rectify the defective cars and make sure this does'nt repeat with new cars. Fiat should make sure it does'nt stoop down too low and compromise on quality for price.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I've sent a mail to Mangesh and Narendra Sharma along with snaps. Waiting for reply now.

I'll not accept if they ask me to replace parts in TASC. I'll ask for a new car with old engine , dash and seats etc.

I can't forget when TASC took 7 months to resolve paint issue on my rear bumper that too after 7 times painting and bumper changed twice. During this case, 4 TASC were involved.

Boot Upper Light.jpg

Engine Compartment-1.jpg

Engine Compartment-2.jpg

Engine Compartment-4.jpg

Engine Compartment-3.jpg

Engine Compartment-5.jpg

Engine Compartment-6.jpg

Engine Compartment-7.jpg

Engine Compartment-8.jpg

Engine Compartment-9.jpg

RRDoor-4.jpg

RRDoor-9.jpg

RRDoor-8.jpg
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    nitin
    Definitely you should get new body from FIAT under warranty.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

But I think, FIAT will not do it easily. I've to fight with them hardly. I am saying this because there are customers who suffered with this problem and settled for parts replacement later on.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Every customer is different, so try your best.
    Be firm with Fiat that you need full body replacement and not parts.

I am surprised to see so much rust, I just checked my car (Red), and its not there. So it is not common problem. But in your case, it is certainly a case of concern.

Do share this thread link with them.