1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. chaudh2s

chaudh2s

Delhi
    Hello People, my punto too faced the same problem, and all 4 doors, bonnet and boot doors were replaced under warranty. Body shell was repaired. Fiat is totally and fully responsible for it's state of affairs in India. It has got brilliant products screwed up by incompetent people at factory and service. To this date i can't even recall properly how many parts have already been replaced under warranty. Clutch, seat height adjuster, tie rods, suspension mounting (something like that), rear quarter seat, etc etc. man i have stopped counting.
  2. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    is yours BNW white color too?
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ^^^^ so you have got almost a new car friend :)
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I second cubbie to take matter with FIAT.

Also, BNW is not the culprit but rust can be seen easily in this color. I've examined 4 Puntos and all of them are infected by rust. Definitely there are some loophole in the process.

One of my friend bought Sentro 15 days before my Punto. There is no issue of this kind of rust in Sentro. We share same area for Parking and 24X7 environment is same for both the cars.
  5. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Where your car got this treatment? Did you asked Fiat for a new car (with old engine, Dash, seats, Tyres and all). Can you please call me @ 9711009862.

List of parts changed under warrenty is long for me too. Here it goes-
    1- Left front door trim (Twice).
    2- Clutch Slave Cylinder
    3- Brake Booster.
    4- Wiper Blades.
    5- RHS Headlight.
    6- Rear door body rubber bidding.
    7- Rear door bidding.
    8- Rear RHS window glass roller.
    9- Rear Bumper.
    10- One Horn.
    11- Dashboard box lock.
    12- Clutch pressure plate.
    13- Shocker Mounting.

Pending Items:
    1- Clutch Slave Cylinder (Metal one)
  6. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Thanks Nitin, I was thinking all nighte yday How n why will a colour of a paint play a role in rusting.. then my mind was alive with few thoughts like Paint might be acidic in quality and FIAT QC dept forgot to test or the Paint / Metal are reacting to certain environment conditions etc etc and basically breakdown of chemicals due to wrong application etc...

Rust as we all know is oxidation and FIAT in its customer hand book gaurantees Paint and Body to be rust free during initial 4 years or Warranty Period.

Now that we have enough evidence not 1 or 2 but many including that of Vijayant's we need to approach as a group with similar or same issues and an expert's view on the matter along with a show cause kind of letter to analyse and help rectify the issue and to commit to a timelines to rectify the observed abnormalities

My thoughts below :
    1st Step - Identify the consumers who are on the facing the same or similar issue
    2nd Step - Experts Review and How and What may have caused the Rust on less than 2 year old car
    3rd Step - Independent Lab analysis of Paint / Metal and compare it against Tata's own Vehicle or that of other brands
    4th Step - Approach Lawyer (Known person) and seek help in drafting a letter *Show Cause*
    5th Step - Define a meeting time with Head of Sales, Head of QC of FIAT and Tata & discuss the possible fall outs and improvements to help stop the issues
    If face to face meeting is not possible, then a Video Conference on a Sat / Sun or atleast a Webchat / Telephonic conference
    Its Imp to seek Commitment & adherence to timelines.
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I am ok with the plan. What do you say guys.
  8. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Nitin & Cubbie,

FIAT has not yet said that will not address the issue. We have to wait for their response. We would have court fit case only if FIAT does not heed us or we are not happy with their solution. Let us hold our horses till than. We should aim to get a good solution and rest all the things are means to get it. Let us exhaust the gentlemanly way of complaining and waiting for reasonable solution within reasonable time.

I hope I am not stopping the heady high Adrenalin flows. I say this as this car has given so much of pleasure to (probably) all of us.

Vijyant
  9. chaudh2s

chaudh2s

Delhi
    folks my punto was not bossa nova white, it was medium grey, rust was discovered within first 9-10months of buying. i bought it on 24th june, 7 days after it was launched in india. amongst the first punto's sold in NCR. earlier i was contemplating reporting to consumer court, but decided against it after fiat offered to replace all parts, and with the the judiciary all corrupt, it was bound to be a long and hard battle for which i was not prepared. But, as a group i think we can make an impact.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Since Fiat is already addressing the rust issue by replacing the rust affected parts, how about a joint effort from TFI and Fiat to find the root cause. May be Fiat has already done such an analysis and they could let us know the outcome so that we are sure such issues don't occur in future cars. I am not sure if they will disclose since it might have business impact on their suppliers as well.