1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Sagar Naik

Sagar Naik Timido

Bantwal,Mangalore,Karnataka
    Bantwal, Mangalore , Karnataka
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Anyones Drum Brakes has rust on it? The Punto i currently own is 1.6 years old and have rust on both the Drums,Black paint on it is falling of slowly,Think when it completes 2 years there wont be any color left on it,So is this common in every car? when asked at FASS they are like 'we cant help' :eek:
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Okay finally I took the matters in my own hands. I am sure following up with FIAT will get my issue resolved someday but few things I just don't have.

1) Appetite to live without my car for more than couple of days :)

2) Trust, given no great ASS/overloaded ASS in Mumbai I seriously doubt the paint quality and fine attention. Last thing I would like to see would be me visiting them every weekend for fixing something or other for their mess.

So, rather than involving FIAT, talking to Mangesh, frequent follow ups with people in ASS and letting car stay in garage forever I picked up a bottle of COM-PAINT!!! I am also planning to order an anti-rust spray can (DINITROL, TUFKOTE) and treat the under body (the first pic I reported). I just treated few places (inside the doors) by rubbing, cleaning and then spraying COM-PAINT. So far so good.

I know I can't treat everything namely bonnet and the rear left door panel so someday they will undergo complete replacement at my own cost. I will do whatever it will take for my baby to last forever!!!

Also I checked the internals of engine bay and I don’t see any rust anywhere. All visible mounts etc. seems healthy. Only few panels or hinges are slightly rusting which is an easy fix.

And lastly, can someone tell me why do I fell in love with it whenever I drive it and I always crave to drive more?

- - - Merged Post - - -

FASS will always reply with a usual denial for rust unless they are extremely pressurised by customer or official. Rust can be treated and there are ways to treat it. Take it to local garage and they can help you with it. I think its just a matter of removing the wheel and then spraying the drums with appropriate treatment which they will be experts at doing.

However, since you are still covered under the anti-rust warranty and if you can spend time without car shoot an email to Mangesh with the pics and reply from the SA. I am sure if nothing you can either get replacement for drums or free treatment!
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Sagar Naik

Sagar Naik Timido

Bantwal,Mangalore,Karnataka
    Bantwal, Mangalore , Karnataka
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Definately will give one more try at FASS if they wont, will mail Mangesh and try to resolve the matter ::T
  4. senthil

senthil

chennai
    I would like to know some neutral opinions from owners.
    1) Does this rusting ( or say, abnormal rusting ) is there for 2009 model only. There after FIAT has fixed this?. I don't see from comments that they have fixed or i may not know?.
    2) How is this rusting of recent punto with respect to other brands ( Honda's Maruthi's ). Does FIAT does not care about the longevity of punto ?.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Senthil, I own a 2010 Punto. My Punto was extensively compared with 2009 Punto of TFI member AXN and 2011 Punto of TFI member Bones.

We compared 2009 and 2010 models especially at places where 2009 model of axn had got rust.

We both agreed that the rust in 2009 model was due to some design flaw which was different in my 2010 car as those places had some protective beadings which were not there in his 2009 model. I can only explain this by posting photos.

For easier understanding, see the photos in the link below from page 1 of this thread. Most of the rusting is at places where the two metal sheets meet/have a joint. In 2010 model onwards, these joints are sealed. Click on the link below to see 2009 model Punto sheet joints.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/exteriors-body/2021-punto-infected-too-much-rust.html#post41892

EDIT- The same has already been pointed by Vijay in this very thread long time back on page 6, that 2010 and later cars have a thick coat on the joints. See the link below:

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/exteriors-body/2021-punto-infected-too-much-rust-6.html#post43171
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    It's a nightmare getting real.. I have posted in the same thread 2 years back.

I see rusts in my June 2012 manufactured Punto. I have posted the pics already in my ownership thread. Cross posting here in this thread too.

I spoke to a FASS advisor and he suggests to get those areas painted. I'm concerned about the rust developing further due to improper treatment of the metal at factory before painting. Also as @Vijay_khasa pointed earlier, the sealant doesn't seem to be proper at the rusted locations.

Kindly share your thoughts guys. Should re-painting solve the issue or need I demand a replacement of the panels? If replacement is the solution, then the first rust shown below is in the boot door shut area of the C-pillar. How do I go about it?

IMG_20140125_105850.jpg

IMG_20140125_105905.jpg

IMG_20140125_110059.jpg

IMG_20140125_110320.jpg
  7. vikassharma

vikassharma Novizio

Rewalsar, Mandi
    I have seen these type of rusting in many Brand New Punto standing in Showroom.

I reality doubt FIAT's Quality Check process in plant.
  8. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Bangalore
    Even I'm experiencing same kind of rust... For me also FASS told me re-paint .. Don't know how to fix this ... Is anyone have any idea regarding the same ...
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Unfortunately the rusts are reoccurring.. Not sure if I could flag it as a bad repair job. I could see they have applied body sealant with hand and touched up paint on top of it, a shoddy job. Any advice if these seam rusts are repairable at all?
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You should get it checked with some good body work garage in your city, take their view on how to handle this.
    Based on their feedback, talk to FASC and asked them to fix it properly.

This doesn't look bad, but getting it corrected should prevent further rusting.