1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

its hard to believe some much or rust in a 3yr old car...

do u live in coastal areas? sea water can be a culprit as salt causes the car metal to rust....

its best to get a 3m under body coat done..although this doesn't help much on the other parts.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    I am sorry for a late reply thomman.... I was away for a while...

and I dont live in Coastal area... I live in one of the most dry place in India - Ahmedabad... Though Gujarat has longest coast, I am nowhere near it...

I have taken a great care of it exterior as well as interior parts and its a shock to me as well that how can a 3yr old car can have rust on the body parts after taking so good care of it....

SAD :(

- - - Merged Post - - -

Checked that.... Mud Flaps are not the culprits here...
    I guess it has something to do with the suspension kit... TASS is overloaded with pending work, They don't have time to check my car right now as Diwali is approaching and asked me to come after Diwali... :(
    Let's see...
  3. PR-8359

PR-8359

Thane, Mumbai
    Gentlemen, It is unfortunate that rust seems to be a perennial problem in the current generation Fiats. My father owns a Fiat Uno 1.7 D (2000 model) which is yet to show a speck of rust after almost 13 years. Pity I cannot say the same for my 2011 Grande Punto. It is badly rusted under the bonnet, inside right fender, and on the Cowl, under the windshield trim. I just has my car repainted at Fiat's Service Centre. I suggest everyone, especially those in coastal areas like Chennai & Mumbai, to touch wood and examine your cars carefully. Believe me, if your car is over 2 years old, you are bound to find rust. Check especially in the cowl area. Water gets accumulated in the space between the plastic trim and a lip in the cowl. There is rubber beading running along the length of the lip. Remove the beading (easy to pull out) slightly lift the plastic trim and check for rust. Since the lip leads with a sharp edge, rusting starts from there. Sorry, I am not able to post any pictures since my car is already fixed.

A better idea is for all Team Fiat members to organize a meet in their respective cities over a weekend and examine their cars.
  4. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Here is my story of rust on Punto. Much of these either happened or I noticed them after warranty :A I had it shown to TASS several weeks back and they replied with usual answer "nothing much can be done for rust...". I don't think either Insurance or EW covers it. Its disheartening to see a modern car prone to so much rust.

Firewall! Do you expect rust to creep in here? Isn't this a very integral part of chassis?
    IMG_0838.jpg

The coolant container mount
    IMG_0839.jpg

Bonnet support rod.
    IMG_0840.jpg

Support rod mount point.
    IMG_0841.jpg

Left front door
    IMG_0842.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Front right door
    IMG_0843.jpg

Rear left door
    IMG_0844.jpg

Bonnet
    IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Changed all tyres to MRF ZLO last week!!! The tyres are extremely grippy and softer than GT3!!! Enjoying them.
    IMG_0848.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

The car is 2.5 years old now and has done 37k kms. It is parked in open and I stay in a coastal city, Mumbai.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Sam,

Looks bad. I am also staying in Mumbai....My car has not rusted so badly.

Kiran
  7. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Glad to hear that Kiran, mine would again be one of the cases then. Also I noticed that the rust is generally formed on welds/edges of the metal sheets and I am unable to trace the real cause. In fact none of the cars in my apt/off is having this issue. I don't now what could be done here. But saying that my car otherwise is functioning absolutely normally and everything else seems healthy.
  8. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    My linea is also having rust problem
  9. PR-8359

PR-8359

Thane, Mumbai
    You are not alone Sam. I had taken my car to FASS last week for some minor repair. As ususal deivery was delayed. Since it was a Sunday, I decided to wait and spent the time checking every car in the Service Bay and parking lot for rust. I was amazed at the number of cars (both Lineas & Puntos) with rust on visible areas of the body panels. I am sure that these cars must be rusting badly on the inside too. Shocking thing is none of these cars are over 3 years old. Its a no-brainer that Fiat is using low quality steel on its cars. I work in the manufacturing sector and can very well tell you that there is something seriously wrong with the quality of steel being used. I don't see even Tatas rusting like these. Guess, we have to live with it. I am beginning to think that going with the herd may not be a bad thing after all...could have ended up with a cheaper Swift and a lot more peace of mind.

- - - Merged Post - - -

On a lighter note...maybe it is Fiat's strategy to make up for their very small sales volume....Sell cars which rust away in less than 5 years to Fiat aficionados like us and pray that we are dumb enough to come back and buy their cars again
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Guys, on the other hand Fiat is accepting these rust issues and treating them free of cost. They must be taking some serious action on root level itself. Those who are having rust, take your car to FASC and involve Mangesh.

one of the TFI members took his car back today after rust treatment with 48K bill but it was free of cost for owner. Nothing was paid by him and paint quality is excellent.

My car is runnning perfectly fine after rust treatment.
    1 person likes this.