1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Initial batches of Vocal White FIAT cars had this rusting issue. Later FIAT India discontinued this shade and introduced BNW in place of Vocal White.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this is real bad. mind my words "Real BAD". this is a clear indication of shoudy paint job. The pre-painting treatment has not been done properly in the paint shop.
    also the various coats have not been done perfectly.

not only doors and bonnet but whole of your car, underseat, seams, engine bays, various channels etc will catch rust.

check all this throughly. i think you should demand a new car.
    this is not an ERA of rusted fiat padminis or ambasadors or jeeps.

belive me your car wont last for more than 3-4 years with this kind of rust creeping in.
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    That's lot of rust, Nitin. Have to check my Linea. How did you catch this? Suddenly stumbled upon or something prompted you to check?

Logically, there should not be much difference in replacement part fitting & factory fitting. In parts, there must not be any difference (replacement parts can not be lighter than the original for they are manufactured in the same factory & I'm not sure if the company is demarcating between Factory fitting parts & dealer shipment parts - logistically improbable.

Another thought - all these rusting issues have come mostly in White color cars - either earlier vocal white or Bossa Nova white. Haven't seen it even in lighter shades like Silver, Grey or Pearla champagne.
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    i dont think this is related to any color. this happens at joints and seam welding done during the BIW(body in white stage). after this process the BIW shell which already has bonnet, doors, boot etc fitted goes in the paint shop. it is dipped in hot cleaning tanks with chemicals first. then its coated in further stages where the rust proofing takes place.
    further it goes for full body paint and clear coats.

from the pics its very much evident that the sheet metal has been exposed and the rust has eaten it from inside out. one can see only the outside, inside its more terrible as painting is not done from inside.

once the joints catch rust they loose their structural integrity and loosen up. this causes lots of rattles and sheets coming out.

if FIAT is not listening to change your car kindly file a case and win a new car.
  5. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Yes guys, I've taken snaps from some parts only. I've seen lot of rust in engine bay here n there. I've shown this to Mangesh Kodalkar.

Elegent is prepairing the report on my case. Let them prepare and a disicussion come. I am looking for stratgic suggestions from all of you. I just want to proceed in most accurate manner.

Also, is it really that much serious that my car can last in 3-4 years. If yes that much serious, I'll start thinking about legal proceeding.

Apart from this, I've seen only driver side door of Mr. Vijayant (aka AXN). Thats infected very badly. Think, I've seen only one door only. His bonnet and boot has been treated already.

Wakeup guys, check your car properly.
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    you too prepare your own report from an expert mechanic and body shop person from your area. identify each and every joint that has caught rust.
    put your car on ramp and check the underbody. also open the floor mat and check the floor. open the seats and check all the sheet metal.

take exclusive snaps and make exclusive report. send this to FIAT and take an acknowledgement.

this kind of approach will help you if ever there comes a situation where you have to file a law suit.

i hope fiat takes this as their responsibility and give you a new car / new body with old engine seats dash etc.

be firm and deny for paint solution. even if they paint the rusted parts from outside there will always be rust from inside which will propogate as time passes by
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Holy Smokes !! That is BAD !!

Nitin : did you email these pictures to Narendra ? (Punto Product Manager ?)

I am going to check my car first thing today. And I urge everybody to check their cars. This is grossly unacceptable.
  8. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Thanks for your support guys. I'll check my car completly now. I'll capture all the areas. Prepare a details report part by part , bay by bay now.

I got a hint from Elegant that they mey offer new doors etc. But I think this will surely spoil the solidity of the car and will be followed by body sounds.

This happened with Vijayant and he had to get the original boot re-installed after 2 days.

Giving a new car would be hard decission for FIAT. Lets see how it goes from here.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    That rusting looks very bad. One of our other member Soundar also has a 2009 BNW Punto and the car is at workshop to fix rusting. I'll text him to post here with pictures if possible and see if we can correlate something.

Good luck Nitin, Hope this gets fixed to your satisfaction.
  10. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I bought this car on 13th November 2009. Chasis number starts with KPZ... Looks like car make is September 2009.