1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    its not the paint that causes problem. it can happen on any paint. if the BIW(body in white) treatment and coating is not done properly the rust starts from inside and starts propagating.

in a painting process utmost care should be taken to ensure that there is no positive negative potential developed between adjacent layers.

seems during production of certain lots the paint shop was not working properly at fiat plant.

but i appreciate the extent to which FIAT has decided to help painting the whole car and changing almost all the body parts.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Sammy it could have happened with other manufacturers as well. As we are discussing it here, we feel that FIAT's are having this problem. The good thing is FIAT is 100 % supportive in this and they wanted the customer to be 100 % satisfied on this. What more does a customer need. There is no need for giving a new car. One of my friend's corolla also had this rusting problem as he was staying somewhat close to a sea shore.
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Agreed. In these days , I try to known how other companies react in this kind of case. What I found is, no other company supported his customer like Fiat. However I could not explored much on it. I got to known about Maruti, Honda and GM. All spoiled customers.

One thing I want to say that treatment could be faster but due to fire in warehouse and slowness at SC hand made it delayed for sure. But as I am getting my car treated perfectly I have no issue at all.

Also, I'll get a supporting letter which stats that all parts are changed under warrenty , not due to damage or accident. What else I can demand from Fiat. Demanding a new car could have left me in deadlock for sure.
  4. Well said Nitin.
    Let me say that you took a very mature decision and you won, infact a quick win.

Demanding for a new car would have dragged on and on and on....you would have lost all energy and would have been a frustrated customer at the end of the battle.

Hats off to FIAT for all the good work they have done in your case. End of the day, its win-win for both the parties.
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Two things worth note in this whole shebang, one perseverance by Nitin and out of ordinary service by Fiat. True, QC should have been water tight and rust problem should not have occurred. Matter of fact is that Fiat has provided life time warranty against rust and they have honoured it too.
  6. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Kaps, as I remember rust warranty is 4 years, not life time. Where from you got this info?
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Delivery is delayed. I'll get my car by Sunday. This is where SC is playing his inning.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Nitin,

Blessing in disguise is, your car will become brand new with entire new body & new paint.

Enjoy her in the 2nd Innings !!
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Thx VP. Its really hard to live without my Punto. Probably I'll get my car today evening. For that I've to sit on those monkey's head otherwise they will enjoy slow motion work again.

Anyway lot many days have already gone and one day is not a big deal. Yaar nayi gadi ke time pe wait karna easy tha... es baar time pass hi nahi ho raha hai.
  10. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I was really happy with the support I got from Tata-Fiat. But after such kind of great support from Tata-Fiat guys, treatment done by Oberai cars, Noida is just pathetic. Please go through below mail for details.

Proposed Treatment Plan:
    As per the original treatment plan, Oberai cars was supposed to work with technical assistance from BASF which was actually skipped during treatment.

Below is quality of treatment done by Oberai cars-

Quality of painting:Paint is peeled off on many places. Paint finishing is really bad. There are so many bubbles and drops of paint on various panels. Doors from inside are not painted properly due to this, grayish skin is exposed. Bonnet is band on right top corner. Left front door is band. This is not rectified even I informed workshop manager about this.

Doors alignment was done after paint work. Paint got damaged on many places during alignment & fitment due to hammer application on newly painted door hinges and other body panels etc. Due to this, lot of paint touch up work is done which can be seen easily.

Quality of rust treatment:Rust was not clean properly on one place. Rust is being formed again on 2 new places inside engine bay after treatment.

Quality of fitment:Door alignment is not perfect. Driver side door stopper is loose. Driver side door opener is not working from inside. Few clips are missing. Few screws are missing. Third brake light is loose.

Engine guard was not installed at the time of delivery.

Not only this, there was some noise from engine way. Oberai cars started opening engine unnecessarily without proper underbody noise diagnosis. Sound was found from a loose point with assistance of Mr. Arun Rajpoot from Fiat on later stage. Still there is some noise from engine bay which goes away after 10-15 minutes of driving.

Damaged Items during treatment:1. Condenser upper edge, just below bonnet lock latch is damaged.
    2. One bonnet lock latch strut, out of three is broken. They even did not bother to fix it.
    This is extremely dangerous because bonnet may open in running condition.
    3. Lower dashboard glove box is broken.
    4. Plastic panel under left front seat is broken. (Fixed, not sure replaced or glued)
    5. One plastic panel inside engine bay is broken. (Fixed, not sure replaced or glued)
    6. Plastic case under RHS quarter panel glass. (Replaced)
    7. Boot rubber bidding is damaged.
    8. Auto cancellation stopped working. (Fixed)
    9. RHS side indicator is damaged. (white bulb is installed)
    10. Dashboard center ac vent unit. (Replaced)

Oberai cars has just spoiled my car as much as they could. I’ve given ample of time to Oberai cars for the treatment still they did not work properly.

I've esclated this to Mr. Rajeev Kapoor, Mr. Rajat Bhatia and Mr. Rakesh Saxena. Let see how things goes from here. Oberai Cars was aware that top bosses are involved in my case still they did not worked properly.

I am totally down guys... :(