1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Nitin, What happened? Was the treatment satisfactory?

Hope the car is as good as new - WIll check my Punto in the sunlight - Being scared seeing this thread...
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Really sad that a new car started developing rust. I own Linea since last 26 months and cant see any rusting.
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Update: Treatment is almost done. I'll get delivery by Friday evening.

All 4 doors, Bonnet, Boot, Both Fenders, all doors biding & Cross member are the parts which have been changed.

Also car has been gone through whole body paint (excluding roof as its healthy) including both bumpers, door handles & ORVMs.

Fiat really supported me and gave blanket approval to Oberai cars and told that they want 100% customer satisfaction. I really appreciate Fiat to think till this extent. Hats off to Fiat.

What exact treatment is done?Engine was taken out of bay and rust was cleaned using Metal Conditioner and then Wash primer was applied. These products are from DuPont. Metal Conditioner is used to remove rust and Wash Primer is for future protection.

Then sealer was applied on every joint in engine bay and all other metals parts to make sure rust will not form again, then surface was applied on required panels followed by whole body paint. This is same sealer which can be seen on joints in engine bay in new cars. Rust formed on the places where this sealer was missing or was not applied properly.

I'll let you know quality of paint work after delivery. I hope quality should not be an issue.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @Nitinkumardba the painting, are the rubbing off the old paint completely or is it another coat kind of ? Nice to hear that FIAT is supporting you to this extend.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good to hear that Nitin.

Hope it all comes out nice and spanking new.
  6. samurai84

samurai84 Amatore

Bangalore
    Is this problem occurs only in BNW? plz let me know... I have booked BNW. if this problem exists in BNW only then i will change it to BLACK or Tusken wine...
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    This is not a generic problem. At best a one off case , where rust affected the car in a very large manner. And after much coaxing FIAT accepted full liability, as you would've read in the thread.

Do not be worried.

Gurjinder.
  8. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

They ruffed old paint and then applied new one.

Samurai, all colors are infected. I know one 90HP Punto in dark grey color , infected by rust. FIAT should analyse whole paint process to find flow. There are so many Puntos suffering from rust.

But one thing is for sure, new cars are coming with better sealent application.

Guys, generaly companies deny to take responsibility of rust issue, they simply push it on customer's hand and deny to cover under warrenty.

Even, if they cover it , customer has to pay big amount from his pocket. Yes, treatment took sometime but Fiat took responsibility since very first day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  9. samurai84

samurai84 Amatore

Bangalore
    thanks nothin and gurji... it gives some relief to me. Hope so All will go well :)
  10. OMG this is some real nasty stuff need to check my BABY also :-|

You should get a new car