1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto infected by too much rust.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I fail to understand why Fiat does not want to paint the car at the factory. The last time I have seen a person getting his dark green color(don't remember the exact shade) palio painted to formula red at the plant and he has taken a letter in writing that the color change was done for aesthetic purposes and there was no damage to the car. He paid for the service though. This person was the only one in India who had a 1.6 GTX with a S10 gearbox. So in all it should be possible but you do need to have some good contacts.

Did you know that cars which had problems were rectified at the Fiat Plant initially and then they used to do depute the engineers to BU Bandari since it was causing an invoicing issue at the factory
  2. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Palio 1.6 GTX was Flame Red changed to Formula Red with S10 gear box and Suspension setup. The car was a rocket when I drove it couple of years ago.
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

After a long waiting period and continuous follow-ups with Service centre, Tata and Fiat, rust treatment is started today.

FYI, all 4 doors, Bonnet, Boot, Left front fender and bidding parts are being changed. All metal body parts (excluding roof) would be painted by TASC and I'll pay for both bumpers. I want to see my Punto again without color mismatch hence I am going for bumper repaint.

As of now Engine is resting out of his bay. Tomorrow they will take all metal parts detached and day after tomorrow they will clean rust in engine bay.

Once rust is cleaned they will apply metal bond on required places and then paint work will take place under a technical person from BASF. However paint supplier for Oberai Cars, Noida is DuPont but BASF person would stay there for technical assistance. This person is carrying 15+ years of exp and handles north India for BASF.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Nitin I think you would be getting a better paint job than from the factory done on your car. Make sure the BASF person pours in his best ideas based on his experience.
  5. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I hope so... BTW, I asked that guy about, what could be the reason for this rust. He told that low paint circulation force in the paint tank may be the reason.

This person told me that he will ask to apply anti rust primer first than normal primar\surfacer followed by paint.

FYI , this fellow came because of request from Fiat plant. I think best combination could be this person and paint material from BASF only but due to some agreement limits, oberai has to go with DuPont.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Nitin..no worries DuPont is equally good. I really appreciate Fiat's support on this even though you had to fight for some time. Do post pics after the paint job is done. Hope they are doing it in a dust free closed environment.
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Yes Cinju, they opted Oberai Cars because its newly established. Paint booth is new and dust free.
  8. thats some good news. but see to it that they use the anti rust primer.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

@sri, I'll be there and will closly monitor the treatment. Lets hope for the best.
  10. good to see a favorable response finally..
    It reminds me of premier padmini days.