1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto ignition/steering lock problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by raghavcn, Aug 7, 2014.

1. raghavcn

I've had this problem with my punto MJD quite a few times where in the steering wheel gets jammed & ignition key refuses to turn!
    the other day i was happily driving around and had to park the vehicle for a short period.
    when i got back and tried to start the vehicle, the ignition key didnt budge despite trying quite a few times. it just refuses to turn & the steering wheel doesnt budge either. And No, trying to wiggle the steering wheel didnt help either. so its not the typical steering lock/immobilizer feature , per se.

eventually i called up RSA and they had dispatched technicians. while waiting idly, i started lightly kicking the brake which felt a bit too hardened. Lo and behold, I could turn the key, start the engine and drive off! this has been happening many a times leading to real uncomfortable situations. I want to know if any of the fellow punto owners have had this kind of problem and get their opinion on this. ASS has been clueless so far, as the problem cannot be demonstrated easily. It chooses its own time and date !
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Not sure about exact issue, but did you try to move key and steering together to unlock it?

rajks likes this.
  3. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Have experience it first hand Ravi. Don't exactly remember why I removed the keys, but it was a scary and panicking experience.
  4. raghavcn

I had tried pretty much everything with steering and key before calling for RSA.
    that manual doesnt seem to indicate how to unlock if such a thing happens - other than the usual wiggle the wheel method.
    it is kind of scary because you never know when it can go wrong again - after repeated issues, i have stopped turning off the engine if i have to stop for short durations !
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I have experienced this many times. Here's the solution when that happens (not sure if this will work for everyone else but works for me). Just move the steering left and right without the key being inserted. Insert the key only after performing this action. Now you will find that the key can be moved to the 'MAR' position without much effort.
  6. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

I have had the same issue. I figured it has to rest for some time before you can move from MAR to cranking up your engine. The last time it happened today and waited for the fuel indicators and the engine heat indicator to reach their position on the dial and the crank it up. The only thing which usually makes the situation worse is the panic instilled in the process. I had a Honda Brio and did not require any sitting time to crank up the engine so the switch now involves a change but patience takes over all the worries. 3-5 seconds is the optimum time before you crank up the engine again.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I believe Ravi is right. It is probably the steering column lock interfering with the ignition key. Ignition key unlocks steering column when the key is turned. Because of some issue with steering column lock it gets jammed. That makes it hard to turn the ignition key. Wiggle the steering wheel little bit and turn the ignition. If that does not work wiggle the steering wheel when turning the ignition key. In any case this is a serious problem. God forbit - what if steering column gets locked or jammed while driving. Get it fixed by Fiat service ASAP.
  8. aniketbhise

aniketbhise Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    I faced the same problem. I tried all the possible options by wiggling the steering wheel, pushing the vehicle back and forth and hence pumping brakes. But non helped. Had to call RSA and tow vehicle to the nearest service center. Unfortunately, the problem occurred when i was at Satara, away from my home town. The car was towed to Pandit auto at Pune. They clearly said that the lock or key damaged. When i got back from my trip, i took the second key to the service center to check. But that too didnt worked. Pandit Auto technician said that the lock must be replaced. The total estimate for the lock set, keys and labour is @ 17K. This is too much.

Fiat talks about the built quality of their cars. But the reality seems different. My Punto MJD is just 3 years old. I have never ever heard from anyone about ignition lock being getting damaged in the life history of any car. What quality are we talking about?

Does anyone know if ignition lock covered under extended warranty?
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

I hope this helps

Indian service provider, reach out them, they have website too.
    Sujit508 likes this.
  10. arzala

arzala Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    This happens to my 2 years old Punto Diesel also. This looks more like safety feature than problem as per above Ravi's document. But experts can confirm this.