1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Ground Clearance upgrade : few queries

Discussion in 'Technical' started by vivek_lko, Sep 22, 2012.

1. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Hello All,
    I got my Ground Clearance kit installed recently on my Punto 90hp(June-2010 model) . I want to know 2 things for the understanding.

1. If we get the wheel balancing/alignment done from a third party then will the wheel alignment values be the same as the 2010 model or will they be as per the 2012 model ?

2. Currently I have kept the tyre pressure as 32psi which seemed good in my previous setup(when riding solo). However I "feel" that the new setup feels a bit bumpy at high speeds(even 110kmph) when compared to the 2010 setup . Though I dont know whether its just my mind that feels this change or whether actually there is some difference . Anyways I want to know that in the new GC kit should the tyre pressure be still kept as 32psi or it should be reduced further ?

3. Ideally should the wheel alignment be done AFTER the tyre rotation ? Or it makes no difference whether done before or after ?Once I got it done from Bridgestone tyre shop and he said if the wheels are properly balanced it does not matter if the tyres are rotated AFTER doing the wheel alignment or before . The tyres would still remain properly aligned provided they are balanced.

4. Am I supposed to get a separate "warranty" on my new suspension ? I dont have any such warranty card!!

Thanks for your help,
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

1.Alignment would have to done with 2012 specs

2.The new suspension is stiff than old specially at back not much difference at front in Linea. Try 30 PSI

3.It makes no differnece if wheels are rotated before or after
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Fiat has recommended 2.3 bar (approx 33.5 psi) in front when tires are cold.I fill 34 in front and 33 in rear as have to drive around 3-4 kms to reach the pump.
  4. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Thanks for the feedbacks!! Just to give you updates. The culprit of the bumpy ride was bad wheel balancing/alignment . Today I got the stuff done at the professional Bridgestone tyre shoppe and bingo that has returned the original ride of the "pre-suspension change" days with the same tyre pressure of 32psi . Am amazed to see the effect on the ride of properly aligned and balanced wheels .Some problem with the alignment still exists but thats another story; but the ride is back to as previous.
    One very nice thing that I noticed about the new suspension is that the infamous thud that used to occur on the rear wheels when passing on low width speed bumpers ; has totally gone!!

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

varin11 do you have the 2012 model punto because in 2010 model punto the recommended pressure is 32 psi on all tyres , if I remember correctly!! What is the recommended pressure for 2012 model as per the Punto manual?

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I see ; so if the swapping of front left and right tyres actually changes the "pulling" direction of the car then does it mean that there is a problem with the tyres and not with the wheel alignment? This is what is happening in my car. By default the car was pulling right; after wheel alignment the mechanic(bridgestone) said that the problem lies not with the alignment but with the tyres. When I told him to proove his point he simply swapped the front right and the front left tyre and the car started pulling left!!! Does his conclusion make sense ?
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Yes that's due to excessive wear on front tyres.

To prevent this wear on tyres as soon as you feel your car drifting to one side get the alignment done on priority otherwise the tyres will wear out in uneven pattern causing susch problems.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

This is with regard to the experiment I did to my PUNTO EVO by going in for the old low GC kit.

After getting used to driving my 2009 Punto which had the low GC suspension, I found the High GC of the EVO that I bought in end Dec 2015 bit difficult to like. Since then I have been nursing the idea to jettison the OE High GC and go in for the Low GC. Finally I did change over three weeks ago. I used the new Low GC , but I simply couldn't enjoy the drive. The old symptoms of harsh rebound of the rear was happening and what I was really surprised was the rebound occurring in the front too. The car bottomed a couple of times too. I drove it gingerly over the period I had it and reverted to my OE high GC.

Once I was back to the OE high GC of the EVO, that's when I realised what a superlative job of suspension optimisation that FIAT had done which I realised when I reverted. The EVO doesn't bottom at all and with four passengers it s is a fantastic car to drive. Fiat has modded the suspension of the EVO and also there is a change in the GVW of the car and has tuned the current suspension to suit the car and it really works. The turning radius of the car is also smaller, so some job there too. The changes that they made has ensured that the old GC susp will not suit the way it fits the 2009 car, which by itself was a dream rider.

If anybody is to ask me whether they should try out the older version , my advice would be a firm no. I have probably done the experiment for the country:) . I must mention that I didn't suffer any cash loss as I had a Linea waiting in the wings for a suspension change. Anyway, at least I have cleared my mind of the perceived performance that i thought I was missing in the high GC compared to the old low GC.

7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @jumu, that's an informative and to the point write-up which will help evo customers. We can now dole out advice with some confidence about this. :p Thanks for sharing. It should save time and money for many.
    Ganges likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3

By how much amount(cms/mm) the GC was increased as compared to the old one ? Does avventura and punto evo have same suspension set-up.