1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Grande-Pre Buy Jitters!!

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Prosen_b, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Prosen_b

Prosen_b

Hello all,

Im pretty new to the forum, and from all that i've read and seen, it's the right place to be for my question:

Ive been driving an Alto for the past 5 years, and feel it's probably time to move on. Been researching for quite a while , and although was impressed by the Honda Jazz, the punto is what set the pace!!

Ive been advised to "listen to the head" more often, and as such:here's my question:

From all that i've read on this and other forums-the Punto is somewhat of a mixed bag:
    While its an absolute beauty to drive---a lot of niggling problems seem to be plaguing it:

Ill try to keep my questions brief, and would like it very much if you all could pitch in with any observations/feedback/experiences:

** Im planning to purchase a punto grande 1.2 Dynamic, in about a weeks time-have been to the Fiat Caffee in delhi, and have had a somewhat pleasant experience during the test drive experience and intital enquiry-will need to engage them on the final deal-et all, would anyone suggest any place else/share their experience with buying from the caffee/Oberoi Cars in Delhi/NCR?

**Im quite aware of the problems that Fiat has for after sales service,spares,lethargic customer interaction,etc,etc-but my big question is this-are there any glaring flaws/defects in the main car that could end up into something serious?I noticed a few threads on a scratchy brake at low speeds,bad ac in a few others....want to know if these are some things that anyone has experienced specifically on the 2012 models-fairly consistently.

** Finally-if i do go ahead and "listen to my heart"-could you all pitch in with a few critical checks-peculiar to Punto problems that i should have before i take delivery?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Welcome to TFI!
    Very good choice mate considering Punto for buying or should I say owning.
    1. NCR/New Delhi members could comment on this.
    2. Only the door rattling could be a recurrent issue across the GPs of 2012. I don't have any other defect in my new GP 1.3 (touchwood).
    3. Critical & regular checks have been very nicely listed in the PDI checklist; you will get one in the downloads section.

By the way, why not consider GP 1.4 since you were already impressed by Jazz which is also a 1.4 litre?
  3. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    @platinumshine-Jazz has a 1.2 Litre I-VTEC engine.

@prosen-No such problems with Punto 2012.But some small problems like rattling can occur.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi Prosen_b,

Welcome to TFI and i must congratulate you on your sound decision to purchase the Punto.

Firstly, kindly detail us the kind of km's you intend to put on the Punto every month. Sometimes we've seen the Punto diesel actually makes more sense than the petrol.

Secondly, FIAT is well on way to opening 80+ exclusive dealerships and service centres throughout India, with Delhi (The Caffe is effectively a showroom), Hyderabad, Pune being the first ones. So you can expect a break from the previous service experience. Oberoi Motors, which manages FIAT Caffe Delhi is the one who has been entrusted to open the exclusive FIAT service centre in NCR , probably Okhla. For servicing, we have found HIM Motors, headed by their master tech Mr. Sharma to be the best in NCR.

And no there are no such "major flaws" which are present in the cars. The issue related to unsatisfactory AC performance was witnessed in petrol models of the year 2009, which was rectified by FIAT by providing the AC upgrade kit. Yes we've seen niggles in the cars, but they have been the exception rather than the norm.

For all the pre-delivery checks, have a read of the TFI PDI Checklist.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. There is not a single car in the market which doesnt have its share of flaws...Yes Fiat did have some issues,which they eventually did rectify:p...I had 2009 petrol Punto active 1.2,problems did come and go,but the experience it left on our mind,could only be replaced by another FIAT(read punto MJD)@present:cool:...I have swift diesel,but I wouldnt go for another Maruti(reasons obvious that you a maruti owner should understand)

Which car you want to buy is very subjective,listen from your heart so that you dont repent later...Best of luck on choosing a good companion..
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. Hi Prosen_b, welcome to TFI :)

I have bought my Linea 2012 from Oberoi's Noida Sec-1 on 27-Jun. Overall experience was ok. There was a team leader (Fiat-sales) Avinash, he was really a nice guy. I interacted with him only but it was nice interaction and he kept me updated on the progress. Delivery experience was also good, I got my cars in around 2 hours.

I did have initial hiccups with all got sorted out hence no complaints on that front.

I got my Linea's first service done from Oberoi Sec-63 Noida and again no complaints.

Every one, every single person talks about Fiat's bad A$$, not sure how many of them actually own fiat and had bad experience. I bet more than 90% of such ppl never owned Fiat forget about experiencing A$$. I have not seen any amazing or out of the world A$$ of any brand. I owned Alto, Indica before Linea and have 2 Honda City (NHC and ANHC) in family. Its all same but just the perception !!

I would suggest you to listen to your heart mate! Pamper yourself by listening to your heart (irrespective of the brand you buy)! But yes listen to your head to decide if you need a petrol or diesel :) :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  7. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

No Mate , I Did Not find any rattle noise from my Punto 1.4 2012 !!
    and Yes , Punto 1.4 is way better than 1.2 Punto , its can defeat all Hatchback cars in terms of power(as POLO 1.6 Discontn. ), Handling/steering feedback , build quality etc.!!
    I will advice @Prosen_b : Please TD once Punto 1.4 and You will forgot all Cars ( even MJD too ):p
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Both are excellent choice, and Jazz will be my choice. However, you must buy, after test drives, which gives you more satisfaction. There are not much different technically, it all boils down to individual choice.

Gurjinder already suggested to look for Diesel as well. And if you decide to buy Punto, do PDI properly.

I think Jazz is also 1.2L hatch.
  9. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Prosen, Welcomes to TFI and advance wishes for your Car search.

If you are considering Punto Petrol, I wish to suggest you 1.4 Punto Petrol. This car is unknown by many, It is shadowed by 1.3 MJD. 1.4 Punto is a peppy 90BHP petrol engine and you will enjoy it.

Honda Jazz is more spacious car than Punto and Material quality is very very good than Punto. But Honda Jazz is equipped with 1.2 i-VTECH engine which is also superior petrol engine & giving more mileage.

Please check all the details and do proper TD and decide.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    1.2 I Vtech engine is better than Punto's 1.2 FIRE engine in refinement and mileage and Jazz has more space than Punto. So my suggestion is buy Jazz instead of Punto petrol.

I will suggest you buy diesel Punto.