1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto GC upgrade doubts

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Prasad, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Prasad

Prasad Timido

Hi Guys,

I am planning to upgrade GC kit, but i have seen many threads mentioning down grading the GC.

Some one please explain me what the pro and cons of increasing the GC kit.

Car Details : Punto 90HP
    KMs done : 49000

Please suggest me your thoughts.

2. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast

Pros- lesser underbody scrapings, better comfort over potholes and rough patches.

Cons- bouncy ride at high speeds, unsure handling at fast corners, slightly increased body roll.

Pre '12-

Pros- extremely stable at high speeds, very precise handling.

Cons- occasional underbody scrapings (it is way better than the likes of Ford, but once in a while, at full load, it does scrape), reduced comfort over rough patches (again, in comparison).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Prasad, I have driven Punto with both type of GC.

Pros of raised GC:
    - It does not scrape anywhere except if you want to.

- Old GC has a bit better ride quality owing to car being lower by 14mm in diesel variant.

Thats about it. How much difference is there? I would say unnis-ikkis (unnis ikkis means 19-21). I dont find that there is so much of difference that warrants an old GC kit in a new car.

Consider old GC kit if:
    - Your suspension needs change anyways (whether old GC or new GC).
    - You drive on a relatively good roads with average potholes.

If both the criteria are fulfilled, then its good to go with old GC kit suspension.
  4. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Even I was planning to go for GC kit up-gradation, but I love the high-way drive, the confidence level at high speed is much more on old suspension kit. So once in a while underbody scraping is fine ... Rather to compromise my long high-way drives. I backed off the plan to change as soon as I have taken a test drive with the new GC kit updates Punto. Above 130km/hr really dis-satisfied me... And also many Fiat owners insisted me not to change until the old suspension kit is totally scrap ...

Rather you can change to 16" alloy with mid profile tyres...