1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto fuel gauge problem - Need help please...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bensam, Aug 22, 2013.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Its the sensor problem most probably.My old accent had same issue with the gauge.A smart electrician fixed sensor circuit.
  2. bensam

bensam

Cochin
    guys..i think one solution mite be as discussed above, to switch off engine while re-fueling n i agree thats a gud practice...it is a safe practice as well as a probable solution to the problem...but i dnt get fact that how does running the engine while re-fueling affect the fuel sensor or gauge?? i love my fiat cause its italian, powerfull, best handler n a hot hatch..why should such an italian car show faulty gauge readings while the korean n indian make cars work properly...i've never seen my pal switching off the engine at any pump n though it takes a few minutes to update the fuel reading, there has not been any other issue with the fuel gauge like showing empty...
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  3. bensam

bensam

Cochin
    a mechanic pointed that a faulty fuel float in the tank mite be the cause of this problem...n that mite be the reason y my fuel gauge showed empty while there was quarter tank fuel...anybody with technical knowledge plsss post ur views...
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

The Fuel gauge rises slowly (about 10-15 mins) to the correct position if the engine is not switched off. If that does not happen, there might be a problem.
  5. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I park my Punto a bit inclined side-wards. The Sensor is placed on the passenger side (Left). Usually it takes 15-20 minutes of running for the correct gauge to point & Amber Light to switch off. In case you have doubt on the petrol station, try Shell :) ...
  6. R Rajesh

R Rajesh Novizio

Salem
    salem
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I do have the fuel gauge showing near empty always and the reserve light glowing.always.I did checked with the mechanic and he says that to be replace with the whole sensor assy.(fuel gauge sensor along with fuel priming pump assy cost >8000rs). DIY. Removed the priming pump below the rear seat and noticed that the float baloon got a puncture and filled with diesel, which will not allow to float at all.Removed the plastic flaot and drained the diesel repaired the float by fixing little screw in the punctured hole. Now the fuel gauge is working properly.
    SanketGajane likes this.