1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto fuel gauge problem - Need help please...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bensam, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bensam

bensam

Cochin
    guys...need help on my punto emotion pack 90hp. there's something wrong with the fuel gauge, even though there is more than half tank fuel, the gauge shows empty at times with the warning light on. it would work properly at times but now its completely lame. any idea what mite be the cause?? :(
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Does this happen randomly or after you fill up the tank? Do you keep the car running while filling up.
  3. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Well, i always switch off the car while filling. Probably in your case, the sensor might failed if u didn't do it on regular basis.

@All It just my observation, there might be other reason also :)
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    1. Check the fuel tank for any damage.
    2. Check with service center for Fuel Pump issue.

I had similar problem and it was probably due to damaged fuel tank.
    In my case both were changed so never came to know what was the real cause :)
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Do you normally refuel keeping the engine ON? If so, suggest you to stop following the practice.

Try disconnecting the battery and allowing the ECu to reset. If still the issue, then maybe the level sensor in the fuel tank must have gone bad, for which you need to approach the service centre. if still an issue, then maybe the guage itself has gone bad. Dont know if this calls for replacing the entire instrument panel or just the gauge.
  6. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    I faced this with my Linea yesterday. I had run for 30 kms after the low fuel warning showed up with fuel gauge in mid of the last 2 marks. At one junction on road, suddenly noticed that the gauge showed all empty and the odometer reading started blinking. To me it meant No fuel, prepare to push the car by myself :eek: While my colleague googled for a petrol pump close by, to save fuel while waiting for red light, I turned off engine. When turned on the car to move, bing!, the fuel gauge was in middle of the last two marks. After running few kilometers, the gauze was back to empty. The odo light didn't blink. I did not want to take a risk and straight drove to a petrol pump.

Had observe this behavior earlier while parking on slope, but all the time in last 24 hours the car was always parked on plain ground (no tilt / slope). Will wait for the next tank empty situation to see it this happens again.
  7. Why, what is the issue with keeping the engine on?
  8. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    Not sure if engine on interferes with gauge, but it a safety thing certainly. Once I was filling gas (petrol is "gas"oline in USA and you have to pay extra if gas station guy fills it for you) with engine on, the station supervisor came running and asked me to stop pumping fuel, turn off the engine and then finish fueling. For the same reason, no cell phone communication either.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It is a good practice to switch the engine off while re-filling. Hot exhaust fumes from the tail pipe + fumes from the fuel dispenser might not make a good combination.

A majority of the drivers, me included, rarely switch the engine off, but we must try and inculcate the habit. To cut down the risks. When it comes to preventing hazards, good practices are the first line of defence.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  10. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
    yes if you park the car in a slope it the fuel guage will show differnt reading..as the fuel ll be on one side the sensor cant sense the correct reading..but in your case i think it may be the problem with the sensor...