1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto for women?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by drvanc, May 27, 2013.

1. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Coming to the point about you being confident in a Swift as a best driver,firstly it's all about getting used to... and It's just due to the high set dash board and the thick A pillar in the Punto that makes you feel as if Punto is difficult to drive. Due to the absence of the thick A pillar and dash being low compared to Punto, Swift feels easier to drive.
    There's nothing to do with electronic power steering in a Swift.In fact, Hydraulic power steering is always the best. Hydraulic steering is like point and shoot.
    I don't believe in the point about best car for Women.
    To be frank, i don't feel any logic in this question.It all boils down to one's confidence level in driving. Be it women or men...

Between, you missed out all the key positives of the Punto in your comparison..
    Below are the points which i saw as positives in Punto when compared to Swift while i was hunting for a hatch last year.
    1) Punto feels like a Sedan once you sit inside the car, whereas Swift feels like a cramped small car.
    2)The Noise levels inside the Punto cabin is very less which makes your travel less fatigue and relaxed.NVH level inside a swift is high.
    3)Swift can't come near a Punto in build quality.
    4)Punto has Super soft light clutch while Swift's clutch feels heavy.
    5)Punto has far better brakes than Swift.
    6)Equipment levels are also good in Punto compared with Swift.
    7)Punto has Euro NCAP 5 rating.
    8)Highway drives are any day definitely better in a Punto.Swift can't even come close near a Punto.Be it the confidence due to the build quality,space, braking, handling, stability, steering, Highway dynamics,Bigger tyres.
    9)Comfortable ride over long distance(RIDE QUALITY) which a Swift misses badly. In fact drive quality is better than some 10 Lac rupees sedan.
    10)Last but not the least, the Looks, it's simply stunning...:)
    Now your doubt about the Red color. I too had the same doubt and have seen some poorly maintained red colour cars that has some fade in it.If red color also comes in mettalic trim, it would have been so good.
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    I have seen at least 3 ladies driving punto in Kondapur area Hyd. I cant see why a lady cannot drive it. Sure the steering is heavy and long clutch but one just needs to get used to it.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @drvanc, Just to add to the points already discussed - My wife was used to Alto before she started driving Punto. To be frank, initially I was quite skeptical whether she would manage my Punto because she was used to ultra light steering, smaller width and length of Alto etc. But after her first drive in Punto, I was really surprised. First comment she made was - This steering feels lot better, this is how it should be (she has no damn clue about EPS & HPS). Due to anti stall feature and good low end torque, she feels confident at low speed as the car won't stall easily. I agree that parking a Punto takes some time to get used to. Especially if its a tight spot. At the end of day, any car should be enjoyed by the person who drives it. So best is to leave the decision to them. Off late have seen many women driving Puntos and even Lineas.
    1 person likes this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    punto_emotion: exactly my point and my wife was also driving a santro till she started off with our punto. Yes she did acknowledge that the steering is heavy but it was only a remark.
    She never complains about it nor does she think beyond it.
    Like many have put it ,its more of how one perceives the car to be than anything else.
    1 person likes this.
  5. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I believe that gender has nothing to do with driving skills.

I have seen a lot of women driving SUVs and a lady driving TATA Xenon with such precision and confidence that it would put many male drivers to shame. I remember a girl who used to reside in my locality was a rally driver and had won few races too.
    Ofcourse I have seen quite a few women driving Puntos and Lineas aswell.

My wife, after a lot of pursuasion is now learning to drive and has tried our Punto couple of times and commented that the steering on Punto is much better than a Spark or Alto (she has tried all 3 for short distances). I did warn her that if she gets used to Punto, then she might likely end up as a FIAT fan and would not like a car from another manufacturer. :D

When I first took a TD of Punto, the very first comment I made was that the steering is very heavy. I was a bit concerned about it. But only after couple of days of owning the Punto, did I realise that the HPS is actually an USP.

I had an Alto earlier and my wife was never confident enough to do a highway drive in it. But one highway drive in Punto changed it all for my wife. We have been doing highway trips ever since and I vouch for the ride, handling, steering feedback and braking abilities. Forget me and my wife, even my 3.5yr old daughter never got tired after a long highway trip (we have been doing trips since she was an year old).

Negatives, if we want to call them so, according to me are:
    Turning radius is a pain for us males aswell, when you need to take a tight turn or a complete U turn.
    I still hate the long Clutch travel in B2B traffic.
    A-pillar is a concern in less illuminated corners and I almost ended up hitting an on coming bike on a rainy evening.
    C-pillar again reduces certain amount of visibility.

The above points has nothing to do with gender.

Finally, it all boils down to one getting used to the vehicle, no matter what gender they belong to.
    4 people like this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    A pillar issue is tough to resolve but the C pillar issue may be by adjusting the ORVMs properly to see in the blind spot
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Absolutely.

Lets your wife decide. There is nothing which is meant for only men in Punto. All good/bad applies for both.
    1 person likes this.
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    OVRMs are another hindrance according to me. For the most comfortable seating position for me, I am never able to adjust the leftside OVRM to my satisfaction.
    I have blind spot mirrors now, but are only effective to an extent in the day times only.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hmm...The active version doesn't come with electrically adjustable ORVMs, I think.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I read the subject & your first post where you are describing how a swift is better than Punto in ways. I completely agree with you. I have always maintained that to know the true point of a FIAT, one must take it to high speeds, at least once, to know what FIAT & it's passionate followers are all about. Not very high, just where other cars don't feel to be at home. Even those people who praise FIAT but never drove at high speed (at least once in their lifetime) don't mean anything, I would ask them to revisit their concepts.

Electronic steering are very light as compared to Hydraulic steering, hence very easy to maneuver in city driving where you are at low speeds. Electronic steering holds the advantagev here. With in city, longer clutch travel, front visibility & heaviness of Punto feels like other cars are a better drive. I agree at both of your points & it's fair enough even on highways where we generally drive in @80-90 km/hr.

Poor front visibility is noticed immediately but not the fact that it enhances aerodynamics, huge dashboard & to keep the driver with-in impact beam frames. That is more common with European cars, not only FIAT. That's why the reason of lesser leg room & interior space. You must be knowing by now that's why spacious Auto-gems like Santro/Omni/Wagon-R (poor aerodynamics with FE taking nose dive) shakes so violently at high speeds that it can do the job of makinhg mango shake for you or banana shake for that matter;). Driver sits next to windscreen so a slight mishap with a two wheeler can put the life of the driver in grave danger.

Not everything can be explained about a FIAT. You must get into it's territory experience the truth, then your options starts collapsing, may be down to only 2-3 brands (like Polo/Fabia) if they are not completely eliminated. Words are not enough to be substitute of experience & learning. Words would be like two people discussing about beauty & ecstacy of heaven but none of them knows what heaven is actually like:mrgreen:? One has to die to know if Heaven is not actually a hell.

I hope you start liking your Punto, because you are one of the very few buyers who bought a FIAT without knowing it's strength.

Pls also don't underestimate Woman driving skills. Most of them are horrible & funny drivers but you need to watch Vicky Butler in an F12 Berlinetta or 458 Italia to know, how a woman passionate about driving drives. For eliminating visibility issue, you can raise driver's seat & slide it back & forth. That should take care of both front visibility & Clutch travel. Don't forget a bit of pampering too learning to drive in a Punto. Who knows, your wife may turn out to be a passionate FIAT lover:p!!
    1 person likes this.