1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto for women?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by drvanc, May 27, 2013.

1. drvanc

I have almost selected punto as my first car. Just now while coming back from showroom after test drive, I got few questions. I felt these would be better answered here.
    1. Almost all fiat lovers are men... If my wife wants to drive this car, how difficult is it gonna be?
    2. Red colour is non metallic. How will choosing a non metallic colour affect in longer run? Will the shine fade?
    3. I have driven swift the most (learnt in swift diesel) and last night took a friends car out for a run. Somehow I felt I was a better driver in swift than punto... Is it the electronic steering that makes me feel that way?

I haven't yet driven punto on highway... Only on city roads :). In city roads swift seems to be easier to steer around... Can't comment on highways for punto, but swift was good... Again being the only car I ve driven so far, my views about swift may be completely wrong... The sales person told me punto is way better in drive ability and I can drive long without getting tired
  2. My wife learnt driving in santro and swift and then she migrated to punto.It shouldnt be problems for ladies to drive this car.
    Have driven swift for 66k kms till now so I guess I can compare swifts driveablity with punto's:
    1) swift is easier to drive in city(nothing to do with steering, both have HPS), but once you get used to punto it becomes a lot better.
    2) due to short gearing in swift and turbo kicking in atleast 200-300 rpm early gives that intial pickup.(once used to punto you can make it speed like a rocket)
    3) due to swifts awful brakes I always had to drive with my heart in my mouth, punto always the drive is relaxed.
    4) the feel good factor is totally absent in swift, it is just a tin box meant for going from point A to B
    5) on highways, the least we discuss about swift the better.Punto is a different class on highways altogether.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

swift is actually very peppy and easy to use in the city compared to the punto.punto feels a little heavy comparitively.but then the smoothness in the punto is nowhere comparable.though the engines are same.the noise levels inside the cabin of the punto are very less, so that actually turn out to be a plus point while driving in the traffic. the electronic power steering gets very hard if u go for a tyre size upgrade in the swift. but an upgrade of the tyre is recommended to the swift. apart from that-there is no other complaint the swift actually has as long as u are using it within the city.

but then come to the highway my friend,
    road grip,
    braking distance,
    cornering ability,
    comfortable ride compared to swift,
    again the low noise levels in the cabin give u peace of mind.
    and the list goes on.....and with the body being very strong, the car is euro ncap 5 star safety rated too...
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wrong info about swift
    M Swift has EPS not HPS.
    It has tall gear ratio not short gear ratio

@ drvanc
    You feel swift fun to drive due to tall gear ratio & light weight

But in real life tall gear ratio & poor build quality light weight Swift
    may be life threatening if any mishap.
    Swift tall gear ratio & acceleration is to impress people who drive swift for first time

In fact M Swift lacks drivability. Frequent gear changes are there due to tall gear ratio.

I don,t think that ladies can't drive GP well.
    My sister drives both M Dzire & 90 HP.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Why not ? When a lady can drive Audi Q7 in peak traffic in Bangalore, why not a Punto ? :)

Coming to Electronic Power Steering, swift in all versions has EPS and driving with an EPS is definitely a boon in city (especially for u turns and parking in tight spots). Out on highways its a different story altogether where you miss the presence of a meaty Hydraulic Power steering.

Punto stays planted and gives you more confidence on highways at higher speeds due to its Hydraulic Power steering and primarily its dynamics & body weight. Like many say "Punto feels like a tank on highways" and read somewhere "when you shut the door of a Punto/Linea, it feels like shutting the vault of a bank" its that safe.

Swift is peppy, gives you the feel of power surge when you hit 2000 rpm but when considered driving in city on higher gears without much downshifts, Punto is a clear winner. When it comes to brakings again, Punto is a clear winner.

I can assure you this as I have been owning a Punto 90HP past 3.5 months and clocked 6430 kms already and trust me, it has satisfied the driver in me on every mile I have clocked !!!

If you are confused between Swift and Punto, I would say quit thinking and go for Punto, you won't regret for sure ;)

Cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Punto is quite difficult for ladies,
    1.Long throw clutch
    2.Stiff gear shifts
    3.Thick ,Heavy and on face steering wheel
    4.Off centre Brake pedal
    5.Poor outside visiblity and too much of blind spots.
    6.Lack of Vanity holder(a must have for ladies)

worst to impossible for short stature.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Looks like most of it is already said so I'm just going to say , Yes punto can be a ladies car too.
    I personally know 2 of my friends who drive puntos.

My wife for one drives our punto (that too its remapped!!)
    Its more of how one feels about the car than who that 'one' is.
    Having said that its a known fact that males see cars as an extension of themselves and hence they make better drivers while females see it as something that needs a leash . If a female can get over that fact then surely she can drive
    1 person likes this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

I had very similar thoughts @jaydev. Personally I wouldn't buy a Punto for my wife as I felt the characteristics of a Punto are definitely more leaning towards capabilities of a man. Women need peppy and nimble cars. No offence meant to those ladies who are passionate of their driving and are willing to drive any car. My wife drives a Chevy Spark.

9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I have seen women drive all kinds of vehicles in a multitude of conditions. I somehow think that it is more about the driver and less about the car. Also, I don't think we can get an unbiased answer to this question in this forum, which is predominantly male.

1 person likes this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

In the recent released refeshed model of GP 90Hp which i took TD 2 times, i did not feel any gear issues like stiffness or long delays (SA confirms FIAT improved gear stuffs).

Yesterday i happen to take my friends 3 year old swift for a drive and to my surprise both of the cars gear ratios and stiffs and even the steering response (Men have more arm power than most women to control steering? Not sure) felt more or less same.

So i am not sure if you are basing your points on 2012 models or older. Possible to reconfirm same points on the refreshed models please? :)

Having said that, i would want to specify that i am no expert driver like other guys here. So this is just my opinion about my experience over TD's.