1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto for tall drivers

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by mnranjeeth, Jan 25, 2014.

1. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks again everyone!
    Now comes the next difficult part! :evilsmile The 75 or the 90hp.
    I have been promised a back to back test drive of both by KHT and that should hopefully help me decide! :)

2. If you have the budget get the 90HP,better the linea..Lately I have been thinking I should have gone for the Linea:evilsmile.

After a short TD you are not going to make out much difference between the two in the city.If you travel a lot on highways then it has to be 90 HP,the extra power makes a lot of difference.

Choose wisely,dont regret later.
    2 people like this.
  3. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hi,

I am 6'2" or a bit more & never found any issues with my Punto 90 HP (diesel). The seat height adjustment is at the lowest & same is with the steering wheel. Personally, I feel that there could be a better seating & steering position (combination), probably for better under thigh support. But it has never led to any sore feeling even after multiple overnight fully loaded runs of well over 500 kms.

i20 is softly sprung with a dead steering & I never liked the car except when it was heavy city traffic around. I think I drive faster than average, here is a link to an incident where an i20 would have meant death - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/9059-fiat%92s-exceptional-car-service-rsa.html

Take the 90 HP if your budget permits! And definitely the Linea if budget permits! Your budget should decide whether it is 75 or 90 or Linea (top trim for the ABS & airbags since there is no substitute for safety). For ex - I would recommend a Punto 90 over Linea Dynamic.

Regards
    1 person likes this.
  4. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    My basic requirement in a car is ABS and airbags!
    And only the 75 and 90hp punto satisfy both my budget and the above requirements! :)
    My everyday drive is around 40kms in Bangalore traffic and I hit the highways atleast once in a month.
    So, I am really confused whether to go for the 75 or the 90.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When i bought Punto in aug 2010, I felt 90hp is better as it has lesser NVH and bit better cabin. 90hp also gets chrome on some areas that gives it a premium look.

2012 and 2013 Punto 75hp are comparable in NVH to the 90hp.

I thus feel that 75hp is a better choice.

Reason being better driveability in city traffic. Even the Linea Classic MJD 75hp has better driveability than Linea 90hp in city.

Highway cruising in 75hp is also as good as 90hp upto a speed of 110. Just that 90hp feels totally relaxed upto 140 as per most 90hp owners whereas 75hp engine starts showing some uneasiness above 120, owing to lower power.

I have driven 90hp only in city whereas I have driven 75hp on the highways for around 45000km and in city for around 30000km. So my comments on 90hp are based on inputs from 90hp owners.

If your drive is more than 70% in city then consider 75hp. Else consider the 90hp.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Having driven both the cars for long, I must say that for tall guys Linea is any day better...In Punto when you push the seat backwards, there will be very less space for the back seat passenger. And another advantage of Linea's seat is that its wider & much more comfortable to sit. I think Ranjeeth might have already ordered his car, but may be this suggestion will be helpful to others.
  7. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks a lot for your feedback Kailas!
    I still haven't booked it. I am waiting for the new punto which I am told will be out this June. :) :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Oh good...Btw which car you use now? Just a curiosity to know :)
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    one must also take into account for how much time on an average, the rear seat would be occupied :)!
    width is not that much of a factor as its very less. Linea does have bit of under thigh support though, which punto seats lack.
  10. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I am using my dad's Alto K10 for now.
    But since it has a Chennai registration and I stay in Bangalore, I don't take it out much due to the overzealous rto here and use my bike instead! :-D
    It mostly does the weekly shopping trip and a lot of Bangalore-Chennai runs!
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014