1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto for tall drivers

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by mnranjeeth, Jan 25, 2014.

1. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I am planning to book a punto soon and have taken multiple test drives.
    I am 6' 2" tall and I was never able to find a comfortable seating position in any of the test drives.

My current car is an alto K10 and I get leg/ankle pain if I drive for more than an hour continuously.
    Unfortunately all my test drives with the punto were pretty short and I am unable to gauge how comfortable it would be for me during long drives which I do a lot.

Can other tall drivers share your opinions on how comfortable the seats in the punto are for long drives?

BTW, I have driven the i20 on a long drive and found the seating to be very comfortable ( unlike its steering and the 1.2L motor :evilsmile).
    How does the punto's seating compare with the i20's driver seat?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    hi Ranjeeth, am 6.1 and had no issues with Punto. Of course when I did a recent long drive ( 600 Kms at a stretch, 1400 kms in three days) it was difficult to find comfortable seating position initially. But tried some combinations and got settled in a position. The seat angle was similar to the rear seat. Mine is a Active variant and doesn't come with driver seat height adjustment. If you opt for Dynamic or Emotion am sure its pretty easy to find comfortable seating position. I've had absolutely no issues during city drives. Even if I move the seat little backwards, there is still room for the person to sit in rear comfortably. I suggest you can ask for few more test drives to find if you can sit comfortably. Make sure you are comfortable with seating and book, because its going to be a long affair with the Italian Beauty. Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  3. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    I am 6.1 and the longest I did was 5400 kms in 8 days, the seat was pushed all the way back for the entire period, no issues faced..

It would take sometime for you to get used to the seats to begin with since they give a coupled feeling at the start (ie: seats hugging you), once your through this phase then everything falls into place, I wouldn't say these are the greatest seats but for long drives nothing comes close in its segment. Find the right setting and you should be good to go, when I say right setting this includes the backrest position as well. Ask for a longer TD and decide based on it!
    1 person likes this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The biggest grouse for tall guys driving a Punto is the sore absence of under thigh support on the seats. After a few minutes of drive, you start to get a slight pain at the knee joints.

I guess Punto is not a tall boy car. The only option remains to extend the seat a little backward which may not be comforting for the rear seat occupants.
    2 people like this.
  5. s.rahus

s.rahus Novizio

Chennai
    I am 6 feet and the only problem I faced was the lack of under thigh support on long drives, initially. However, I was able to overcome the issue by pushing back the seat by "one" or "two" points than normal during the long drives, which provided me that "extra" space to stretch my legs. You will get adapted to it during your first long drive itself, don't worry. :)

Cheers,
    U S
    1 person likes this.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I'm close to 6 and what Punto lacks is under thigh support. However once you find a right position it doesn't seem to pose any problems, I've driven excess of 1500+ in some trips and have come back fresh. I find my Palio better in terms of seating position and good placement of ABC pedals.
    1 person likes this.
  7. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks a lot for the advice, guys! :cool:
    I felt uncomfortable even with the seats pushed back to the maximum.
    I am convinced on the punto 99.9% and this was the only fly in the ointment!
    Good that a lot of tall people find it comfortable. :)
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am 6'0" (181cm to be precise). I have done some 15-20 trips of 500km a day. I have no issues or fatigue but sometimes I feel that the left leg is getting tired. It could be due to a hard clutch by the way as the car has done close to 70,000km in 3 years. Yes! I agree that under thigh support is not that good. But it can be improved to some extent by getting custom seat cover with cushioning.

The seats of Punto are much more comfortable than i20. Thats one of the reason why I had cancelled my i20 booking back in 2010. The seats in i20 are much firm and the backrest are narrower than Punto. This feels good during a short test drive.

Punto has very wide backrests on the other hand and thus a person feels much more comfortable on the highways as there is scope for moving a bit as well. The cushion isn't that hard/firm as well and you sink in them a bit which feels good during highway drive. I personally do not like very firm seats as they are good to sit for a short time but not that good for highway drive.

i20 has a tilt and telescopic steering and the range of its adjustment is much more than the dummy (almost) tilt steering of punto with 9-10cm of adjustment range. Maybe that is the reason you were able to better seating position in i20.
    2 people like this.
  9. I have not driven i20, but recently i did a trip to Goa. I never did face any issues (Driven 700 Kms in a single stretch) and as my friend. Mine is a Punto Emotion Variant.

Finding a BEST Seating position could be tricky.
    Enjoy driving Punto. :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am close to 6'1(185cm) and driven the Punto EP diesel 1000 km in a single stretch in duration 13-hrs, plus also did the Ladakh circuit of total km 3100km. With Adjustable seat options, I found the seating position very comfortable and never faced any issues.
    1 person likes this.