1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto feeling heavy...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by adigabnp, May 28, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Punto is not heavy but it's monster of a car!
    I am surprised how other hatchback of it's class are just 50-100 kg lighter.
    Cars like swift feels when driven, at least 500 kg light by built & feel:mrgreen:

Let them build rock-solid & be them heavy if their engines are capable enough to carry them around.
    I personally love heavy cars. Sorry i only read the subject & a few headings like FIAT-ASS, Servicing etc, no idea about them. But you can check issue like air leakage in the hose to turbo. That's most common issue & it directly affects the pick.
    Take it to TASS if you don't find anything yourself, there is some problem with Turbo. There is good surge@1700 RPM.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Always,verify if the handbrake is on??!!!!
    3 people like this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

& the award for the best advice goes to...!!
    :lol
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    LOL Enki,but you never know,for,naive people like me might have experiences like me driving a Santro with handbrakes on for 3 kms,which lead to the breakfailure and had to drive the car for another 7 kms without brake functioning!!!!!
  5. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Srini - Yes, I park my Punti in the sun, both in office and at home.
    You mean to say that I need to check the tyre pressure everytime I start my journey? Can you please explain how it is related to the engine's pickup?
  6. adigabnp, I too have4 this issue from 3000 KMS on ODO. Till 15K service the issue came up now and then. After 15 K service the issue is there always. The only part that I am not happy with my Punto is this issue. When I do highway drive, I would sometimes feel like selling this car. The issue is that bad. Not only pick up is bad, but my right leg pains like I cant drive anymore without a short pause.
  7. Prasads09

Prasads09

I have my Punto 1.3 MJD for the last 10 months now and crossed 17K...excellent on the highway..recently had been to Gujartath Road trip and covered 4000KM without any diffulties..but i still feel it lacks the punch in 2nd and 3rd gear and when the AC is ON..The RPM shoots and the pick up drops. But 4th and 5th has no problem and excellent consistency. Mileage around 22KM with AC totally.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  8. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi ENKI,
    I am not particularly concerned with the "heavy"ness w.r.t. Punto's build etc. I too quite enjoy it.
    The concern is about the "heavy"ness due to the lack of pickup in 2nd and 3rd gears. Leakages w.r.t. turbo were checked during the last visit to TASS. No issues were reported!

Hi Prasads09,
    My concern is similar to yours. What did TASS guys suggest you?
    But, I wonder if we need those extra kits etc. for this genius.
    I was extremely happy with my Punti until recently. So, I suppose something is missing of late which needs some rectification.
    Which filling station do you go to? [IOC/HP/SHELL/BP]

Hi Srida,
    I am quite surprised that you have a similar concern with 90HP! :eek: :p
    I have concerns with lower gears. I am totally content with the higher gears and hence happy on the highways! Moreover, I do not rev the engine beyond 2000RPM, always! :)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  9. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Well I think its common with punto . With a/c on during the day , pick up in 2 and 3 gears is very slow coupled with a lot of engine noise . Its sometimes very difficult to drive Punto in Delhi when you have to continuosly use 2 and 3 gears . Revving the car till 2.5 k rpm takes a toll on fuel efficiency and without revving , punto hardly bothers to move . I believe the car should not be made so heavy for the engine size . Its very tiring to drive this car sometimes . but on highway its the king , no hatch can beat punto in its highway performance :)
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Welcome to TFI....

The mileage figure ur getting is really good.. i get 13-14 top in city and 18-20 on high ways..