1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto feeling heavy...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by adigabnp, May 28, 2012.

1. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi all,

Introduction:
    I am a proud owner of Punto 1.3MJD Active. It has been 8 months since I bought this beauty and she has completed 19,500kms till date. :)

Servicing Details:
    The vehicle has completed the first 2 services at 5,500 and 15,000kms respectively.
    Air-filter, oil-filter and engine-oil were changed in the 2nd service apart from other activities.

Issue:
    From around 13,000-14,000kms, I am not particularly happy with my Punto since I feel that driving her is an effort activity!
    I.e. I feel as though I am driving a heavy vehicle.

I feel that I either need to revv the engine too much [>= 2000RPM] to get the pickup. The pickup in the 2nd and 3rd gears [3rd gear specifically] have reduced. :confused:

I have seen this condition with both loaded [5 people] as well as normal [1 person] conditions.

I am refilling my vehicle with Indian Oil from the beginning. I am not sure if fuel can be a reason.

Also, the mileage of the vehicle has dropped by a km or so. I am hardly getting 17-18kmpl in city these days compared to 19.5-20kmpl that I used to get earlier with the same traffic conditions and the same driving methods.

Fiat ASS:
    1. I took the vehicle to the service station and my service executive said that it is normal and there is nothing abnormal about my vehicle.
    However, he suggested that the issue may persist only if there are issues with my clutch [which seems normal to him].
    The clutch has hardened a bit, but neither do I see it as a concern.

2. He also offered me a test drive of Punto 2012, which I felt is better than mine, thanks to the new clutch and gearbox etc. :)

Has anyone of you seen a similar issue with your MJDs? Please share your opinions on the same.
  2. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    Welcome to TFI! check if the fuel pump is loose. Ask service guys to run through the Fiat diagnostic software and check for any errors.
    My car had the same problem though it‘s a petrol one.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    If you dare to then take it to a mechanic whom you trust well and have been accoustmed to from a long time, Just tell him you're views and ask him to do a thorough check up.. Let him give you his opinion you can use that and then go to TASS and fight with them for small things...

This is what I follow, These TASS fools dont know anything..
    You can read all about my bitter experience on my Turbo leak issue. (Not all are bad but most centers are)
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Welcome to TFI. Punto is a heavy car. It is heavier than honda city. If you compare swift and punto swift is very light. But that I see as a disadvantage. I consider the heaviness as a boon.
    19.5K in 8 months! 17-18 pmpl in city is a good figure. you need to worry if only the difference is much more.
    Any way make sure that oil level is between the prescribed limit. Also check the coolant.
    How is the behavior in highway?
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Most probably you are feeling load of AC. You must have started using it due to heat in last 2 months
    1 person likes this.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Do TD of another car with same manufacturing year.

If you feel other car is better,compare all ECU reading.

If readings of your car are better than other car & still your car is giving bad performance then ASS will advice you to search loyal petrol pump like me.

Check hoseline of turbo. From MAF sensor to intake manifold.
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  7. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks all for your replies.

@ theblack - I agree that all TASS are not great. But, I have this service executive called Mashud in Concorde Motors, Dairy circle who has built some trust in me.
    But, your suggestion is worth considering. :)

@bhai - Yup, I am trying to find one Punto 2011 to compare the behaviors.

@Vijay - You are partially right. But, I also checked the behavior without a/c on multiple occasions during this summer. The concern persists. :)

@sunGoa - I have not been on very long highway drives recently. But, within the 200-250km drives, I have seen the same at lower gears.
    The pickup is better in 4th and 5th gear, hence not much concerned in this range. ;)
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Try cleaning the air filter.
  9. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Ok. Here is my two cents. Do you park your car in sun? Did you check the tyre pressure. Due to heat it could have increased to an abnormal level which will cause this. Try this and post your response.
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Excess tire pressure gives you bumpy ride, is not it?