1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto exploring Queen of Hills (Ooty)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by punto_emotion, Nov 26, 2012.

1. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ground work:

Ooty being just @ 300 kms away from Bangalore, me and my Wifey wanted to visit since sometime now. After inclusion of my Red hotty into the family, the urge only increased ;) So we started our basic research about resorts options first. One of my cousin recommended Kluney Manor and read positive reviews
    about it on Trip Advisor as well. So stay options and leaves sorted out, we were all set to zoom to Ooty!

Basic stats about the trip:

-Place visited: Ooty
    -No of Pax: 2 (Me and my Wifey)
    -Duration of the trip: Sat to Tue
    -Distances covered:
    >Blore – Mysore via Kanakapura: 140 kms.Mileage – 21 kmpl. Driving style: Sedate. @ 100 kms / hr
    >Mysore-Ooty (including few sight seeing): 200 kms. Mileage – 15.2 kmpl. Driving style: Demanding ghats
    >Ooty-Blore via Coimbatore: 465 kms. Mileage – 17.5 kmpl Driving style: Cruising speeds 120 km/hr +
    >Total distance: 805 kms. Average mileage- @ 18 km/hr

The Journey:

Bangalore – Mysore: Since I had to start on a sat evening decided to avoid crowded Mysore highway and took Kanakapura-Malavalli route. Though it’s a 2 lane road, condition is quite good and traffic is way to less. Hence can drive peacefully. We did a overnight halt at Mysore.

Mysore – Ooty: Sunday morning finished breakfast and started from Mysore @ 8 am. Experienced bit of traffic till Nanjungud but later on traffic seemed to ease a bit. After Gundulpet, upon entering Bandipur forest, the drive was a pleasure. With lush green forest on both sides and roads in excellent condition, just did not want the journey to get over. Now was slowly approaching @36 hair pin bends of Ooty! Wow, for the first time got an opportunity to test the handling prowess of Punto on a twisty ghat roads. And the way Punto responded to the conditions was just amazing! Reached Ooty @ 11 am and straight headed towards Kluney Manor!

Ooty-Blore: Chose to return to Blore via Coimbatore. Ooty-Coimbatore roads are narrow but excellent in terms of being close to nature. After Coimbatore its ripper of an highway till Blore. It was very difficult to drive Punto sedately on this stretch :p though road works near Avinashi and after Krishnagiri played little bit of spoil sport!

J1.JPG
    j2.JPG
    j3.JPG
    j4.JPG
    j5.JPG
    j6.JPG
    j7.JPG

The resort:

Kluney Manor was an epitome of Victorian architecture. Its just a km away from the Ooty main bus stand but yet calm, serene and a world of its own. Once you are in the resort, out side world is totally cut off! Staff were very courteous through and We were just blown away by excellent land scapping!

r1.JPG r2.JPG r3.JPG r4.JPG r5.JPG r6.JPG r7.JPG

Places visited:
    @ Ooty – Pine forest, Pykara lake, Botanical garden, Boat house, Dodabetta peak
    @ Conoor – Tea factory, Lamb’s rock, Dolphin’s nose

We experienced mixed weather at Ooty. It was raining and damn chill the day we reached Ooty due to cyclone. Weather next day was accompanied with bright sun shine. Eventhough it was supposed to be off-season, we encountered crowd almost everywhere. So was wondering what would be the case in peak-season :confused

s1.JPG
    s2.JPG
    s3.JPG
    s4.JPG
    s5.JPG
    s6.JPG
    s7.JPG
    s8.JPG
    s9.JPG
    s10.JPG
    s11.jpg

Thanks for reading the travelogue :up
    11 people like this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Wow! Wonderful photos. The hotel surroundings are extremely beautiful
  3. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Wonderful Pics resort is good to see and new for me, Its second season , but not that much crowd will be there when compared to first most of them will come from north during this season..
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks sungoa. Yeah! This was the highlight of our trip! We were just blown away by the beautiful landscapping. Infact we were feeling bad to get out of the resort for sight seeing :-D The stay was damn relaxing. The resort is just @ 1 km away from the Ooty bus stand but yet in its own world. Once inside, we were totally cut off from the hush push outside world..

Thanks Vijay!
    1 person likes this.
  5. shanmugam

shanmugam Amatore

Chennai
    nice pics .... great..
  6. Was it very cold at Ooty? I some what feel Ooty is turning into a concrete city rather than stay green.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The day we landed in Ooty it was damn chill due to cyclone. It was drizzling as well. Next day turned better with rain staying away and good sun shine. But yes, late evenings and night were cold.... Temperatures were some where @ 10-12 dgs.
  8. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Very nice travellogue, beautiful pictures too.
    The hotel looks very neat and the sorrounding are pictesque :)
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Raj :) Yeah, the resort was very well maintained...
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I too had driven my linea from pune to ooty. I throughly enjoyed the hairpin bends :)

My hotel was right in front of the lake. It was chilling in the night.