1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo vs Ford Figo : which one?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by purshotam77, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @purshotam77, you should go for the petrol variant as your driving would be less. My average running is 800 Kms per month and I chose TJet than the Diesel variant, though not the only reason why I opted TJet over diesel. I have never driven a Punto, so won't be able to comment on its riding abilities. I think fellow members and your TD has already answered it for you. Do let us know once you get your hands on the car in a few months. Congrats on your new house!
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Buying 1.4 Petrol Punto does not make sense to me.

Price of 1.3 Multijet Punto Emotion and 1.4 FIRE Punto Emotion is almost same and difference is of Rs. 30,000 approx.

I would suggest you to go for Punto dynmic 1.3 which will be perfect fit for your requirement.
    asimpleson and dadasaheb like this.
  3. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @purshotam77 . Go for MJD 1.3 75 HP or 90 HP depending on your budget. 1.2 L on Punto doesn't excite at all. 1.4 is better. Irrespective of your calculated running per month with Fiat you tend to hit highways more often than not. Leave the petrols and buy the MJD. You are sure to make a lot more road trips with Punto in your garage. If its going to be a petrol and a FIAT only then its got be a TJET. Just as a city car my friend there are better petrol cars in the market than Punto.
    dadasaheb and kedarbendre like this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nibedk

Have you driven either the 1.2 or the 1.4 petrol Punto (Evo-)s? I ask only because you sound like you are going by paper figures. The 1.2 has a excellent city driveability (its torque comes in early, good gearing), unlike some of the competition (eg., the Suzuki or the Honda 1.2) that are heavily top-end biased. Really, he should TD the 1.2 and/or 1.4 to confirm. I'd reccommend the 1.2: it fits his bill best. Sweetly priced, too.

btw, the 1.4 petrol is 90 hp, while the mjd that is 3-40k higher priced is 75 hp. Strange advice to be giving someone who will drive mainly in the city. And so: it's a great highway engine, with a superb mid-range. Super efficient too, driven well, steady at 80-90 km/h: we get 17-18 km/l on the delhi-chandigarh highway, with city traffic driving too, albeit in winter, on the good old, big and beefy Linea 1.4 fire.

Of course, the t-jet is something else: if that is the yardstick then ONLY the VERY much more expensive Polo GT tsi should/can be purchased. :)

The Fire engines are good, competitive engines in this market (no-one, bar VW at much much higher prices) offers petrol engines that are any better, other than (on paper only! gutlessly broad bottom-end, terrible for city driving) the Honda i-vtec 1.2 on the Brio and Amaze. Such a pity that so many folks fail to sample the Fire engines on road, and so have a diesel-bias when it comes to Fiats. But admittedly, the Tata Revotron is the class best petrol in this price bracket. Until (and IF!) the t-jet comes on the Evo, that is. ;-)

Yeah, the Punto is the (only) solid sturdy heavy one, while the others are...which is surely a major reason why he's decided on the Punto Evo in the first place? :)
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot Yes sire I have driven Punto 1.2 and 1.4. Not the evos though older pre 2012 GPs. I have a Swift pertrol and its any day better than 1.2 on paper as well as on the roads. I no where mentioned 90 HP petrol to be bad. But no point putting money on 1.4 petrol. There is nothing more that it offers over the competion. The extra power is nullified due to the additional weight.
    I found Punto 1.2 L comparable to Figo only. All the other 3 cars were superior. Punto 1.4 is the most powerful car but doesn't feel so. Owing to the lesser weight Swift and Brio both have simlar 0-100 times. Better gear boxes in Suzuki and Honda coupled with lighter body weight gives the same kind of performance as Punto 1.4.

I suggested MJD as Punto is a car that shines on highways(Higways, ghats and bad roads) and its hometurf for any Fiats. In cities in stop and go traffic I dont feel Fiat cars add any value to your driving experience. They are equal to the competition but loose out because of higher kerb weights. I find my Swift Petrol a lot better to drive in the city than my Punto 90 HP. Even the Swift MJD aka DDIS feels a lot eager compared to Fiat MJD. The tuning ,better gear box and lighter weight combo makes it an instant winner when compared to Fiat. The Fiats shine which the Mango Car buying public hardly knows or cares about. High speed stability above 120, handling and ride on ghats and bad roads, revving above 4 K rps are things which Fiats are good at. But these are stuff which a average joe doesn't care about or is willing to try.

My one liner review of Fiats as a owner
    "One needs to be motoring enthusiats to be able to value and love a Fiat. The realm where Fiats shines is hardly ever visted by aam car buying junta"

Just for comparision I am putting some figures below. I found every other car to better than Punto 1.2 except Figo which was almost equal.

Swift
    Engine: 1197
    Power: 83.14 @ 6000rpm
    Torque: 115 @ 4000rpm
    Weight : 965

Punto 1.2
    Engine: 1172cc
    Power: 68 @ 6000rpm
    Torque: 96 @ 2500rpm
    Weight : 1140

Punto 1.2
    Engine: 1172cc
    Power: 90 @ 6000rpm
    Torque: 115 @ 4500rpm
    Weight : 1145
    Brio
    Engine : 1198
    Power : 89 @ 6200 rpm
    Torque : 110 @ 4800 rpm
    Weight : 920

Figo
    Engine : 1196
    Power : 70 @ 6250 rpm
    Torque : 102 @ 4000 rpm
    Weight : 1060
    dadasaheb and prabhjot like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nibedk

You are not wrong from your 'enthuu' driving perspective, but i suspect judging by what he has posted that the 1.2 or 1.4 Fire Evo will do brilliantly for him, since these other cars don't come with either the build or the style!! of the Evo.

I find the 1.4 Fire on my Dad's Linea just like the 75 mjd Punto we also have in the family as a runabout: sluggish at first in gear 1, and then pretty potent once in its wide power band. Very flexible engine it is, just like the 75 hp mjd, good for the city, great for the highway.

But the 1.2 Fire is actually the better city-driving engine of the Fiat lot, imo. Not counting the t-jet, of course.

The only other car I'd suggest instead of the Evo for consideration might be the Tata Zest or Bolt Revotron. Real good cars those, too!
    dadasaheb likes this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Got a chance to drive my colleague's Zest Revotron last evening and boy-o-boy! Its in different league compared to other Tata cars and have to admit that Tata has really worked hard on this car and the results are evident. The gear slotting, NVH levels, brakes, interior quality, the dashboard, sound system.. You name the area and there is improvement seen. Top variant petrol for @6.5 lacs is absolute VFM (Swift Vxi in Blore costs around the same price minus the boot, music system, abs, alloys, space, touchscreen music system, etc etc)
    prabhjot, kedarbendre and dadasaheb like this.
  8. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot @punto_emotion. Got to agree that Zest is one hell of FVM car. I have been asking all my friends and relatives who are planning on buying a car to try the Zest. Alas both Fiat and Tata have the same image in market though the reasons for it are very different. But I guess the VFM pricing is not going to stay for a long time. I am hoping that with Bolt ready for launch in Jan both Zest and Bolt together will touch more than 10 K per month in the coming months and then the inevitable price hikes.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Zest i have driven in August,really loved the Suspension set-up and ICE setup (Harman),a real VFM.Loved it.
    if anyone thinking about Desire or Hyundai Xcent, then Zest is perfect car for all type of driving.
  10. vishal_tomar

vishal_tomar Timido

Vadodara
    vadodara
    Grande Punto 1.3
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 28, 2015 ---
    Hello
    Purshotam77, welcome on board
    Although our Most knowledged Team Fiat Boss Amogh ellobrated what is 'Evo' , apart of this i would like to share some special safety features of Punto fundamental design . i Metal pipe inclindly welded in all 4 doors of Punto , in case you could hit by other vehicle from side at ninty angle that doors will keep you safe without sinking inside , which is no where found in other similer segments .

recentrly we hole family were travelling on L&T highway godhara to vadodara in night at speed of 130-140 km/hrs [ road was not croweded ] suddenly a gaint Pig had come across , in the same fraction of second i turned left to avoid hit and break too. it was amaging to experienced even in Active base model , i didnot regreted to do that [ in general it was a mistake turning car sharply . this is what proove the punto a great car .

vishal tomer
    vadodara
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    pabhishek likes this.