1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo vs Ford Figo : which one?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by purshotam77, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Hi Purshottam,

Test ride both the vehicles and make sure test the variant you plan to buy so that you get the look and feel of it. The Figo has a lighter steering column but when it comes to the gear lever it eats up all the comfort. The built quality of a EVO/Grande Punto is unmatched and cannot be tamed by any other brand at all. Also when you sit inside and go for a small drive check how comfortable are you while maneuvering and sighting. The clutch, brakes and accelerator pedals show the difference of the vehicle in the first place. Do check how low the figo goes when it seats 5 people and compare that with the EVO/Grande Punto. These will help for sure.
    S Mathur likes this.
  2. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Linea T-Jet
    Hi Purushottam - Did you really think someone will recommend Figo on a forum of Fiat fans? :) Reading responses here will only increase your confusion because most people here follow their passion while purchasing cars, and don't bother about parameters that many other "self-confessed neutral knowledgeable enthusiasts" are bothered about. :D

As per me, Punto is meant for people that have a budget of 6-8 lacs, want a hatch-back, love driving (outside of city roads), have patience/'spare car' to deal with FASS, and crazily love their cars. Don't try and reason it out, it's a heart thing...

limraj, S Mathur, pdash and 4 others like this.
  3. purshotam77

purshotam77 Timido

Punto Evo 1.2
    Thanks to all of you for prompt and crisp replies. your reassuring inputs have definitely upped my faith and inclination towards the punto. i intend to buy the petrol version since i will have limited running and from what i have heard diesels are high on maintainence. your thoughts on this are more than welcome.
    Thanks again.. will keep the forum updated on my purchase.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Diesels need one major change of timing chain kit at 60k intervals if you own 90hp Punto (also perhaps better to change for 75hp).
    Diesels will provide better average also. So yes you will need to calculate in detail. Goto website below and check for yourself. :)

petrol vs diesel.bmp.jpg

^^Update inputs as per loan if any, rate of interest and average monthly running.
  5. sudipz

sudipz Amatore

Linea T-Jet
    Biraj has a point, you'd have to be patient when it comes to ASS. Having one near you is good. Also, I must mention they're trying to improve services aspect.

The social pressure of owning a Fiat is huge, everyone would brag.. r u crazy, nuts, so on.. but we don't really care when it comes to driving a Fiat :)

EVO is certainly hot! Must have :) Figo for the reasons of being dated should be opted out of. Else I'm told elite i20 is good, did request Hyundai for a test drive, which never came :(
    prabhjot and zenwalker like this.
  6. mayank

mayank Amatore

3 years back in 2011, i was also in similar dilemma like you because me too had a tough call choosing first family car. Finally i decided for punto after shortlisting among i20,figo,polo,liva. But i can assure you i am not regretting even a bit. Regarding choosing between grande punto or punto evo, i believe it solely depends upon which one fits your budget. Yes, if you buy old punto you will feel a bit tempted whenever you see the evo but i can bet that that would not make your love go less for grande punto. Punto evo or grande punto!!! A punto will always make you fall in love with her beauty more and more each passing day and till eternity, and you will always look it back while leaving it in parking. :D
    prabhjot and S Mathur like this.
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Purushotham, hope this doesnt come late. I have a 5year old Punto and my Dad owns a 4.5 year old Figo. After 60,000km the Figo faced 2 break-down and my Dad was left helpless on roadside, now the car crossed 80,000 and its just out from SC after another break-down repair costing 20k. At 1.35lac kms my Punto is yet to face something like that, its been the regular service all through out.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It's a win win choice either way.

The 1.4 FIRE is a simple and reliable engine. Shahjahan is close to clocking 1 lakh km's without any issue on the engine.

The FIAT diesels, as everyone knows are India's favourite engines. :joyful:
    Dr Nitin Dutta and prabhjot like this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    You sure you aren't exaggerating?! :)

Fiats are affordable to buy, and very affordable, relatively speaking, to own. So they are 'heart' AND 'mind' things. Yes, you may have to devote some extra time, care and vigilance at FASS, but that was not a deal-breaker for me when I went ahead and bought a new Linea T-jet.

Not all FASS centres are as good or as bad at everything, they're inconsistent rather than bad. And most are definitely improving.

On average: I don't think FASS quality should be a deal-breaker, not at all (have had, personally and the family, 5 Fiats over the years, including a couple of relatively new ones, that is what I've distilled from direct experiences of a few different FASS). Your local dealer bears some research, that's all.

Now, go get that hot Punto Evo! ;-)

Dr Nitin Dutta and C_S like this.
  10. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    160 Nm @ 2000 RPM
    197 Nm @ 1750 RPM

Discount on Figo is roughly 73K + 30K Exchange whereas on GP 80K + 20K exchange but on further negotiations with exchanging the 1Lakh discount can be availed on GPs. :)

So best to go with a GP.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 25, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 25, 2014 ---
    Either wait for Twin Air or T-Jet on a Punto or Go for i10 Kappa ( if any dealership having this car) , or T-JET Linea. seems affordable as you're looking for emotion Pk, instead of that go for a T-Jet Active Linea. Petrol car of the FORD will definately put a hole in pocket. Even Punto is a highway car in city it gives mileage about 11-12 without AC & 9-11 on Full AC.

Now a days Diesel ( specially MJD ) dont require that much of maintenance, Fiat utilizes all Synthetic liquids, like engine oil, brake oil, power steering oil, even coolant. ( Not sure about transaxle oil ). The only you have to pay for the Fuel Filter INR1500 extra per year on a diesel. & initially the car cost difference, which is basically you should only have to consider with discount on diesel on GPs ( Grande ).

If you follow regular service at F.A.S.S. ( Ford or Fiat ) the maintenance cost will be 10 paisa higher in diesel per KM.

One thing I like to say, dont know much about your usage, but once you bought an MJD, you cant stop yourself driving the car incase of Punto. Ford's both cars ( petrol & diesel are nowhere ) in competition, The only thing best about Ford Diesel that on a base variant there is no competitor, Only Indica, & Beat are there, some dont like Indica for Taxi Image & some dont want to buy a Chevy as the same part availability ( or cost of part ) problem. Chevy also utilizes the same MJD technology of Fiat but inteadof 1300 its 1000cc engine & performs almost equal or better that the Figo's 1500cc.
    Pointed and prabhjot like this.