1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto EVO pulling problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sweet Sweep, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Sweet Sweep

Sweet Sweep Timido

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi All,
    My name is Arul, from Chennai.
    I am planning to buy the new Punto EVO - 2015 version.

Does this car still have the left pulling problem?

I have been reading/ coming across this in most forums.
    The current version of Punto EVO has Goodyear tiers.
    Has this tire change made any difference or has there been any tuning from the factory?

It will be great if some experts advise on this.

Arul
  2. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Sweet Sweep : Left pulling issue was reported in some batches of new Evo. Looks like there was no WA/WB done at the factory outlet. I understand your concern on posting this thread as a prospective buyer but be assured that its definitely NOT a deal breaker :)
    in some cases FASS failed to resolve this issue as they were not aware of the new WA/WB readings by FIAT, on getting these new readings they did able to resolve the issue by doing WA/WB and chassis alignment in some cases. You can definitely move ahead with your decision of owning evo :)

adding @Omar who has faced this issue and FASS solved the issue reported.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. Omar

Omar Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Arul - I purchased a 90 HP Punto Evo in March 2015. After a few weeks, I did face the left pulling problem. However, the FASS (KHT Motors @ Bangalore) were able to resolve it to my satisfaction. So far, everything's fine and the car runs straight like an arrow :)

Moreover the 90 HP version came with Apollo Alnac tyres (these were previously called as Acceleres) and are very competent for our Indian roads.

I would strongly advocate you to go ahead and buy this car. Its a workhorse and will serve you many a miles in the future. You can refer to my thread "HERE COMES THE HOTSTEPPER"
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Sweet Sweep : I drive an Evo 90 hp that I bought it 2 months back and have driven it for more than 3500 kms. I felt a slight left pull, and the workshop guys swapped the front tyres and now the pull doesnt exist anymore. Even though its not a permanent solution, I would get the WA/WB done on my first service and the problem should be gone.

Earlier the workshop guys didnt have the new WA/WB values, but now they have, so it shouldnt be a problem. Any how its not a deterrent at all, at least thats what I think and I am enjoying my ride to the fullest. Go on and book it, you wont repent on your decision.

One thing you can do (to be on the safe side): You can ask the SA during your PDI to get the WA/WB done with the latest values and take a test drive and move forward only if you think there isnt any pull problem.

Also, this problem isnt faced by all Puntos/Lineas. You can refer to my thread "My red scintillator 90 hp" .
    prabhjot, ghodlur and Omar like this.
  5. VKR

VKR Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Arul,
    I am from Chennai and I just grabbed my Punto EVO 90 HP 3 weeks back. I definitely felt the light left pull in the new punto and I did visit the Service centre. The service adviser asked me to drive the car for a some more period and return if the problem exists. I still face the issue and I will be taking it to the workshop for correction. As our members have suggested here..it should not be a big issue at all.
    prabhjot and Deepak like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Sweet Sweep

Hi. Do please go through the discussion on @Turbothinghy 's ownership thread.

Suffice to say: all Linea-s and Punto-s have road-gripping front suspensions that follow the camber of the road. This, as I understand it, is inevitable if one wants the good road holding and handling Fiats are famous for in India. Also, the 'feel' of the hydraulic steering in the case just mentioned is so honest that if the road camber is to the left, you will feel a 'left pull'. This is NOT an issue or a problem.

However, there are other cases where alignment has been off, or tyres need rotation/replacement, and the odd case of the steering rack needing a re-config/replacement. i.e., some minor cases and a few more-serious ones.

Nothing a PDI will not reveal, and cannot solve for you. As usual and in any case, whichever car you buy, from whichever brand, do not make full payment until after PDI approval's there from you.

cheers, all the best
    Turbothinghy and Deepak like this.
  7. Sweet Sweep

Sweet Sweep Timido

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi All
    Wanted to thank all you guys for spending time and sharing your thoughts.
    I felt the right way to thank you all would be to let you all know that...
    I bought Fiat Punto Evo a few weeks back.

Was very busy with office and weekend being driving the car alot, that's the reason for the delay in updating.

Had a wonderful experience buying the car too.

Once again thanks to
    Deepak, Omar, Turbothinghy, VKR, Prabhjot for sharing your thoughts. It helped me a lot.

Arul
    Turbothinghy, Murphy_Fiat and Rama like this.
  8. Omar

Omar Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Sweet Sweep - You are welcome buddy and welcome to the Evo Club :)

Would be nice if you could post some pics of your ride.
  9. Rama

Rama Amatore

Delhi
    Delhi
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Congratulations.
  10. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR

Not quite IMHO. See, the Punto has McPherson struts, in the front and torsion beam setup at the rear; the most common setup for a mass manufactured car. If what you are saying is true, all cars would have had similar effects. Road crown, will be followed by all cars, even with a perfect toe and camber. And experienced aligners will normally keep that in mind in developed countries and keep an intentional offset. In India, the road crown itself is Ram Bharose....! :D

The other problem is, the original punto shell and placement was for the European LHD setup. And now a lot of stuff is on the other side; they messed up there despite the best simulations :p. You will almost never see a left pull complaint in a EU punto but always in a UK punto forum!

Having said this, it is hardly a deal breaker: 2 visits at most, will resolve the pull issue! Go ahead, and BUY the car!
    prabhjot and VKR like this.