1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto EVO - Is Fog Lamps necessary?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by DinnY, Nov 7, 2014.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Amogh,

Beats me as to what changed. A one to one talk with the Workshop Manager at Balaji Fiat revealed that the adding fog lamps to the variant where it doesnt come as standard does need an effort when it comes to wiring. Not many workshops possess the knowhow to install the fog lamps correctly. He also did say that fog lamps added by some Fiat workshop's became prone to a host of issues and warranty claims to an extent that Fiat workshop started denying the fog lamps installation.

Fiat India needs to come forward and take the ownership of the issue.
    Ravi likes this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is absurd from Fiat's part. Adding fog lamps is very common accessory people go for, with any car.
    If Fiat can't provide some simple solution and know-how to its dealers/service centers, this doesn't make any sense.
    asimpleson likes this.
  3. DinnY

DinnY Timido

Pondichery
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I asked the same and below is the reply.....

Sir ,

We have already communicated to you , fitment is not possible as the BCM is different for models – version , with regards to any modification carried , it will be purely at workshop & customer risk .

With warm regards,

Mangesh Kodalkar

Head- Customer Care

+91 20 301 845 11 │*mangesh.kodalkar@fcagroup.com

[​IMG]

Fiat Chrysler India
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Wow this just go interesting. What are we missing here, anyone?
  5. DinnY

DinnY Timido

Pondichery
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    hence fiat-India says Advanced features like front fog lamps will be available only in their top end-Emotion variant.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes DinnY, got that..what is missing is there looks like a clear belief that this was a non-issue. Therefore what are we missing or have missed or is this a new development?

Mail from Mangesh Kodalkar makes it pretty official, hence the surprise.

And of course calling it "Advanced feature" is a big joke in itself.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Its an indeed a big joke Aseem. What I fail to understand is Fiat says that fog lamps are factory fitted and hence cant be fiddled with, then why cant they give an option to the buyer to specify the fog lamps when he is ordering the Dynamic variant for eg. So that the factory can build the variant according to the requirements and ship it. By not giving the option in a way Fiat is forcing customers to opt for the top end variant only if said feature is reqd. This strategy IMO is bad for business,sooner Fiat learns about it the better. Customization is the only way forward for Fiat.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Very true Girish, also I think the obvious question now to Fiat should be what does a customer do to get this "Advanced Feature". If company/dealer is not authorized to these upgrades how to go about it then. Its like having a policy of 'no policy' in such matters. ;)
  9. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    the earlier version of Punto i.e Grande punto was allowed installation of fog lamps by fiat themselves. I have installed one at a cost of of around 3k in 2012, so does it mean that BCM of punto evo is different from earlier puntos?
  10. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It's not just Fiat, but ever car manufacturer does this kind of varient restriction.
    I don't think any B+ segement comes with the Fog Lamp in base varient.(Correct me if I am wrong)
    However if you ask me Fog lamps are not so critical as a must for your lightining needs, if you see there are lot of people using base varient cars with no Fog lights.
    Fog light addition is not a major electricial modification, all you need is a Fog Lamp with case and about 2/3 Meter of Wiring(Not sure about the exact lenght), a 15 amp fuse and a Switch.
    Yes to enable the Fog light just like the Emt varient requires you to change the BCM module and you need to buy 2 panels, the center panel switches needs to be moded and you need to buy the side panel switches and the panel just like the Emt varient.
    Alternatively you can just add a switch to the side.
    It’s not a very brainy mod, if you know a good electrician it is a piece of cake job.
    It also depends on the FASS, earlier times only few FASS were doing this but not now, they feel as there volumes have gone up they will use the same Fiat Management dialog and avoid doing such tasks.
    There are a lot of guys I see at FASS who have added OE and Non-OE Fogs and I don't think any of them have any electricial issue.
    asimpleson and Dilip patel like this.