1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto EVO - Is Fog Lamps necessary?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by DinnY, Nov 7, 2014.

1. DinnY

DinnY Timido

Pondichery
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi,

I have booked Punto Evo -Dynamic.It does not have a fog lamp. but my friend is insisting me to install one once the car is delivered. but dealer said if I install front fog lamps it will void the Electrical warranty o_O.now my question is..

Is fog lamps really necessary in a car or just for looks?
    If yes, is it really effective? or instead of fog lamps I can put the head lights on low beam ???

Thanks in Advance,

New fiatian--
    waiting for my RED Punto...........EVOLUTION :)

P.S: I dont know much about cars, so kindly bare and help me out.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There are lots of people did install on Punto - Active variant. Earlier Dynamic had Fog lamp, I guess. If it is done at dealership, there should not be any warranty issue.
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/fog-lamps-for-punto-active.6881/
    It is not a must to have, but a very useful accessory, in my mind, in some cases. For example, your main bulb is fuse, then this can a life saving item to have.
    Also, this is more than just for looks. Specially in Punto/Linea, fog lamp has good light. This will specially with your high beam on highways.
    I suggest get it done, but from dealers itself.
    DinnY likes this.
  3. Fog lights, which only light the ground immediately in front of your car, are mainly for very foggy conditions when you are traveling slowly due to limited visibility. City like delhi, shimla and other hilly area it is must to have.

Fog generally hovers at about 10 to 20 inches from the ground. So, in theory, if we project light out into the pocket that does not contain the fog, you can brighten the road for a distance that will allow you to see farther. Low-mounted lights---or fog lights---are installed at your bumper or even lower, and the light they expel is actually cut off at the top, creating a light pattern that projects straight out, then flat and then down, but not higher.

fog lamps are not just small hedlights , they are designed for specific purpose. so if u r planning to buy , i suggest buy a good brand
    DinnY likes this.
  4. DinnY

DinnY Timido

Pondichery
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I spoke with my dealer"Manakular motors -Pondichery", he said they wont do it as it voids warranty..
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check some dealer in Chennai, if you can.
  6. DinnY

DinnY Timido

Pondichery
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I also spoke with fiat customer service they said same.......

Fog lights=No Electrical warranty...Confused what to do:(
  7. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Get them installed in FASS,

If your nearby FASS is not cooperating then go to some other FASS.

Just don't let them cut or peel the wires,

You are good to go.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I am surprised to hear the dealer themselves proclaiming warranty void if fog lamps are installed. Then why did Fiat give the slot in the first place, for dynamic variant the front bumper should have been smooth till the end. Beats me. I think due to the complexity of the wiring involved, the dealer is hesitant to do the connections.

Apart from the wiring doesnt the ECU also has to be programmed, if one installs fog lamps?
    DinnY likes this.
  9. DinnY

DinnY Timido

Pondichery
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    The reply from Fiat..........""

Dear Sir ,

Thank you for your communication, also thank you for booking EVO .

With regards to all electrical & electronics they are routed through Body Control Module ( BCM ) , we don’t recommend any modification /change , this may affect the electrical /electronics of car & warranty .

There is no provision to fit fog lamps externally .

With warm regards,

Head- Customer Care

+91 ************│************@fcagroup.com

[​IMG]

Fiat Chrysler India
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 10, 2014 ---
    So its Official ........
  10. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't buy this argument at all. And this is the first time I am hearing about different BCM's across variants.

In the earlier Punto we could fit fog lamps. In fact FIAT used to offer them as an official accessory. Now they are claiming warranty will be void? I wonder what has changed.

@ghodlur : no impact on ECU.
    DinnY and mchanna like this.