1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo Dynamic vs. Grand i10 petrol

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Niran, May 13, 2015.

1. Niran

Niran Timido

Punto Evo 1.3
    dealing with multiple dealers at the same time...will write about that soon :D
    C_S likes this.
  2. Sauravkhurana

Sauravkhurana Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    Bringing alive this old thread.

I am contemplating buying Fiat Punto Evo Active 1.2. My budget is ~6 lakh and this neatly fits in my budget given the year end discounts. I have taken TD of Grand I10, Elite I20, Honda Brio, Polo and would be test driving this tomorrow. One thing which I noticed was FIRE 1.2 has one of the lowest BHP - 67 BHP as compared to any of the above. I understand that it has better build and lower maintenance than, but how much of a role will this play? I would be driving this roughly 1000 kms a month (majorly city driving and occasional 200 kms of weekend trips). Not sure why FIAT chose to under-power this at BHP of 67? Any views would be highly appreciated.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi. It is of the same engine family as the 1.4 and even the t-jet: FIRE. These engines have sold many many millions around the world. The european fiat 500 still offers it as an entry-level engine. Why? Apart from great reliability, low cost of purchase and maintenance, and refinement, it has excellent city drievabillity, decent torque at lower rpm than many other 1.2 engines in the market (eg., the honda, hyundai, maruti) which have more on paper but their low speed and low gear city driveability is not great. Do TD the car with the 1.2 fire: it works really well for your kind of heavily city biased driving, you'll be surprised when you do? The bigger 1.4 fire petrol is much better: but at higher speeds/higher gears/lower rpms, which suits highway cruising, and then there is the 1.4 t-jet on the abarth and the linea, which too is from this very basic engine family. TD it, don't just go by bhp peak-output figures.

you could PM @puntophile for a better first hand detailed knowledge of owning and using the engine?

puntophile and Turbothinghy like this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @Sauravkhurana Let us know after test driving it. I will not comment but since you have tried out all the other competitors in this segment, I would like to know your thoughts vis-a-vis the others.
  5. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Brio is a good car but easily goes off the comparison once you take it out on the highway. Also the FE drops drastically if in city traffic. Also the boot space is a huge disappointment. Plus the service schedule is every 6 months. I can say all this because I sold my Brio SMT(O) within 15 months after driving only 20K Km's and switched to the PUNTO 1.3 MJD emotion. Have driven the Polo. It is good option in Petrol Engines. The Hyundai, I personally feel is an over-rated car. The handling, suspension and steering is just not at par. Attractive but not meaningful. Once you sit in the car only thing which really matters is how comfortable are you once you finish the journey. I am never tired driving the Punto be it city or highway. Peace of mind is what you will get with the Punto. If you are longing for enormous power on the road go for the 1.2 evo. It is a great choice. If you can stretch the budget the Dynamic 1.3 MJD is a also a cool option.
  6. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Absolutely. I agree wholeheartedly. It has a very responsive engine and a GREAT city ride. Effortless. Very reliable, and fuel economy is an easy 12-13 no AC in city, provided you are in the right torque band, which by default, you would be! On highways? See my posts elsewhere...19+ is easy. No extra effort needed! You can pull from 20 in third gear try this on a Brio/Grande whatever. Heck you climb ramps with no throttle...! Heck, you do that on 2nd gear.....! Ok don't believe me.....TD it.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Rama

Rama Amatore

Punto Evo 1.3
    @Sauravkhurana : go for 1.3MJD Dynamic. Even my monthly usage is between 800-900km, still I went for diesel. In the past 6 months, I have done 5.7k Kms. Mileage in city is about 17.5kmpl.