1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo Dynamic vs. Grand i10 petrol

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Niran, May 13, 2015.

1. Niran

Niran Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi team,

I am a first time buyer/driver--primarily city usage around 1000 kms per month.

I am in love with Punto, but my budget permits to buy a Grand I10 sports variant. But, wanted to check if it is good idea to buy Dynamic version of PE, as I eyed for Emotion version first. So to put it simple:

1. Is Punto Evo a right car for a first time driver?
    2. Is it worth stretching my budget for another 1 lakh to buy Dynamic version (which will be missing airbag) vs. Grand I10 which is loaded with fancy features (other than ABS/Airbag)?

Your inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Niranjan
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi @Niran. Welcome, man.

See, you've got to realize you are comparing apples and oranges here. The Punto Evo is much bigger, wider, vastly sturdier, heavier, with emphasis on safety, durability, ride comfort, and handling+steering etc. It also has a great warranty, fairly priced spares (on average)...and is inarguably the more charismatic as well distinctive looking, being Italian, esp the exterior. It also has a number of features that are easy to miss but very appreciable: the feature list of the MID, underbody protection, high GC, 'intelligent' rear wiper etc. The Chennai Fiat dealer and ASS scene is from most reports: good. In petrol guise it, though no rocket (no petrol car in the Indian mass market for hatchbacks is) is very refined and truly excellent on the highway (1.4 Fire), while the 1.2 Fire has excellent driveability in the city, less high speed cruising ease.

The i10 Grand is different: light, flimsy, a pure city car that IMO cannot even handle urban potholes and speedbreakers adequately, is no higher speed car, but is pleasingly though unexcitingly designed inside and out and does have a long gizmo list i guess, not that the Punto Evo Dynamic is under-equiped, just depends on what you're keen on.

Am sure its resale 'value' or rather 'price' will be better, though, given its unremarkable engine and poor ride/build/safety etc I think it is much poorer value than even a Tata Bolt, let alone a Punto Evo or a Swift. Hyundai ASS is reputed to be better, but it is surely more expensive, and the Chennai Fiat ASS has a decent reputation.

Do please TD the 2 cars, do see especially if you can TD a 1.2 Fire Evo, really well-priced, and an excellent city car, efficient too, do not be seduced by its mere 68 hp. Do consider the feature list in detail, and decide which ones are of greater qualitative rather than merely quantitative 'value'. Haggle away: you'll get really good discounts from Fiat, unlike Hyundai. Do pay attention to build quality, braking, ride, steering and handling when checking out the Hyundai in comparison.

Over to you! Enjoy your decision making. You know what most if not all of us here would advocate, hopefully in good faith and all honesty: the Punto Evo. ;)
  3. Niran

Niran Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks Prabhjot!

My question is "is it a recommended car for a first time driver" as I am still learning?. :)
  4. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Niran, honestly there's no car which can be deemed as "first time driver/buyer" car. All cars fit that bill.

As for the comparison you've already got a pretty bit from prabhjot, what matters is not if you're first timer, but what you want from a car? And let me give you a bit on progression.

Most first-timers think they only need it for city driving & that it'll be a good year or so before they can even think of taking the car out for inter-city tours. and they buy car basis on that. Soon they realize driving may not be as difficult as it seems to be & wthin a few months they're more than willing for inter-city vacation drives. That is where many a times you end-up realizing what a compromise a city car can be. Not that it cannot be taken inter-city there are many who do, but it's not very comforting. both in terms of the drive & the utility, like space for luggage & seating comfort during long drives.

My cousin went thru the same & had purchased a Alto, which for going to pune/panchgani etc was not very comforting for him; the suspension which felt great in the city felt spongy at speeds. The advantage of small-car size in city was great but space was less in the cabin, he felt timid by the car size on the highway. the same lightweight car which gave great signal pick-up in the city, felt not in control beyond 100, and the tin-can body which he never thought of started making him feel unsafe....and so on....

So the exact advantages of a small city car which is being light-weight, soft-suspension, light steering etc which gives the car great mileage, signal-dashing pickup and perceived ease of driving & parking turns into huge disadvantages when on a inter-city highway & vice-versa.

So i10 is pretty good for within city driving etc but it's not a car I'd take on the highway. Also the Air-bag becomes a gimmick in a car which is structurally made of tin can. What good will it serve if the entire body will crumble!!

I know you're looking at i10 but just have a look at this comparison. Look at the weights.
    1286605d1410506601-hyundai-elite-i20-official-review-elite-i20.png
  5. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    Niran, for making buying decisions such as these .. Keep in mind the following
    1. Electronics/electrical fancy features such as the music system, lights, parking sensor/camera can be fitted to all vehicles if we are ready to spend
    2. Extremely difficult (almost impossible) to change the build, steering setup, driving characteristics of the car (in short mechanical)
    3. The way i see it .. Vehicles primarily mechanical supported or made better by electronics and gadgets

For city drives any decent , capable engine is adequate (most manufacturers have decent engines).. Unless you are someone who wants to race

See what you want to pay for.... Items that can be bought Vs Items that cannot be bought in future.... That is how i decided...

My car does not have the fancy items a Hyundai provide, but i know i can get them if i spend... Can a hyundai owner get a great driving experience ??? Hope this helps decide... My vote goes for the Punto...
  6. Niran

Niran Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks guys...I went to Ramkay Fiat for the final deal today...they told they will get back to me with the best final price...hope it fits my bill!
    Hebbar, Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Niran:
    Given your criteria and sense of buying first time, Hyundai Grand i10 is a very good package.
    Its purely city drive and works out well for individual/family/ladies driving/limited usage.

However, as others have mentioned above the comparison is already there. Cannot be compared to the matured vehicle like Punto EVO.
    It leaves us drool all the time.
    Niran likes this.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    First time buyer will find the Grande i10 a lot more easier to drive due to the lighter steering and controls. Do take a longer test drive of both cars and then decide.

If its 1.2 Fire that you are looking at, then Grande i10 wins hands down in terms of performance too.
    Niran likes this.
  9. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    For city use, the i10 with its light steering, slick gears and light clutch fits the bill. City driving and parking is a breeze with the i10. Not that the punto is lacking. But it is a bigger car and coupled with a comparatively heavy steering, manoeuvering in traffic might require some effort. Having said that, if you expect to keep your car for many years and expect highways drives to increase over time, the punto is the way to go. I can say that having test driven both.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nkrishnap

The 1.2 Fire is arguably actually the better engine than the 1.4 fire for the Punto Evo, if efficiency and city driveability/lowend-lowgear pep are priorities. Too bad the apparently low 68 bhp puts folks off even before a td! Though, if am not wrong, Fiat sells many more 1.2's than 1.4 fire-s? My dad's got a 1.4 Fire Linea: clearly a highway, higher-gear/higher speed/lower rpm biased engine.
    Turbothinghy and Niran like this.