1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo Allloys to GP 1.3

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by tyson13, Aug 7, 2014.

1. tyson13

Hi friends,
    It's been a wonderful experience with my GP 1.3 Active since March'14. I am enjoying each and every sec with my Italian babe( Except the first Gear:roll::roll:).

Now looking for some tires and alloys up gradation. I just love new alloys of newly launche Punto Evo, comes with 90HP version. It is of 16 inches. Right now running on stock tires and rims, comes with Active model. So is it fine If I upgrade to 16 inches alloys ? Any benefits of 16 inches over 15 inches alloys ?
    Coming to the tire up size, I am looking forward for Hankook 195 section. I have heard a bunch of good reviews of Hankook . Will it be a good combination ?
    What is the cost of 16 inch Alloys at Fiat Showrooms ?
    Don't wanna do anything at the cost of performance and Ride Quality. Amazing handling I am getting at stock rims presently.
    Thanks, if you could guide me proper !!:D
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Do note tat the new Evo also has increase in the GC not just due to 16 inches. But old ones are just 10mm less. So i guess the dynamics would change. Ill wait till the experts comment.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Engine load will not be an issue since MJD provides enough or loads of torque at crawling speeds. Bigger rims and tyres will have improved stance and may look good, but I think 15" itself is more than sufficient upgrades to Punto. If you could drive 16" Punto EVO you could get better idea about the feel and any out of box suspension mods if special for the same. But it may not feel the same on older Punto. Trial and error is the best thing to do as everyone has varying opinions on tyre and rim upsizing. Best if you zero in on the answer for yourselves. :)

Tyre upsizing has speedometer error and more than 4% deviation is from standard in not recommended by experts. Don't know the precise reasons.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Your current wheel + tyre size should be 165/80 R14. So is the new Punto EVO active version.

It is ok to use 16", sports model of Punto EVO alloy.

The tyre size is 195/55, so ride quality will be impacted a bit. But handling will be much better.

No idea on Hankook tyres, but OE tyre Apollo Alanac 4G is pretty good tyre.

From 165/80 R14 to 195/55 R16 upgrade will have minor/negligible error.
    More than 4% deviation (4% is just a kind of benchmark, few recommends less than 2% error) will have big ODO difference/error.
    Your all calculation on FE, distance will have bigger errors.
    1 person likes this.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

The 16 inchers will cost a bomb AFAIK atleast during the initial days. To give you a perspective, the OLD LINEA 16inch alloys cost Rs 11500.

I suggest you to upgrade to the 195/60 R15 size for a good balance between ride and handling. The OLD punto 15inch alloys are Rs7 k each i think and the new 15 inch ones on the EVO
    (best looking IMO) would probably be priced at 10K i guess.

6. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    The Older ones are cheap and Personally I feel they look muscular. I think Fiat may still have them on the offer to sell them at Rs.4990/- per piece.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I have not seen the EVO 16" wheels in person but do have seen the 15" ones. And they look pretty spectacular. Just the right size and appearance in my opinion. You can consider them as well. 15" rubber is better priced as well.

8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    EVO - 15" Alloy

EVO - 16" Alloy

Happy shopping.

BTW, existing Alloy of Punto is also not bad, and might be available much cheaper -

9. unleash_thunder

unleash_thunder Amatore

I would suggest you to stick to the original 14 inch steel rims and go for tyre up-sizing to 185/70 configuration. Michelin XM2s, Yoko A and C Drives and MRF ZLOs are good tyres to look for.
  10. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    If you want to improve the stance, handling of your entire car then the 16"ers would be the choice but that will be expensive. But if you just compare the look of the alloy wheels I personally think the 15" looks smashing, the finish given to them is brilliant.