1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo 90 Mileage issues

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Rohanpasula, May 10, 2016.

1. Rohanpasula

Rohanpasula Timido

hyderabad
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Guys,

I have bought 1 in 2015 October. It has done abt 7000km and I am getting only 10 to 11 KMPL. I was told I will get better mileage after 5000km but it still is the same. At time the Trip meter shows even 8KMPL. Please provide your opinion on this. What is the best RPM range for better mileage.

Rohan
  2. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Is this the mileage shown by the trip meter OR you have calculated by tank full method ? Pls check by tank full method. In either case, 10 to 11 KMPL is much less for a diesel car. The best mileage you should get in the 1800 - 2200 RPM range.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    A couple of things:

1 I hope that you have reset the trip meter, after you bought the car.
    2) To check the FE, reset trip A/B, go for a 40-50 kms highway drive and drive at higher gears and upshift at 2000 RPMs. If everything is good then you should get 18+ FE.
  4. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Rohan,

What are the driving conditions. Please let us know the timing of the day you drive the car and the area's you pass through. There are some simple techniques to improvise on mileage and use the torque to potter around the traffic. 8KMPL certainly seems low. Please let me know if you are free to catch up sometime so that we can check and exchange thoughts on how to improve the numbers. I would also request you to check my thread where I have captured some points to extract good FE from the 90HP MJD.

Cheers,
    pradeep.
  5. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I also have a question on this. I am actually not much bothered about mileage, but I got 13 kmpl on highway driving with full AC and good driving speeds. Mine also has crossed 5K and first service is complete. Is it right mileage. In city I get 9-10 again with full AC.
  6. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Kindly help us with a few additional details, the same line what I have posted earlier. Considering the traffic in Bangalore and assuming you commute during rush hour, I think the FE in city is a fine. Please add some more details like your gear shift patten as well.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  7. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I upshift between 2000-2500 rpm. I hardly reach/cross 3000 rpm in city driving. City driving will be mostly 1,2 & 3 gears. In highway driving I upshift at 2500-3000 rpm. driving mostly 5th gear and speed would be between 100-140 rarely going beyond that (no idea about rpm).
  8. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello There,

Lets try this for a few days and I would request you to revert with your observations.
    • Try to up shift below 2k rpm in traffic conditions (My view is simple, why spool the turbo and release it, when you don't get the space to use the power generated).
    • Try to coast when approaching signal lights and getting down slopes / flyovers.
    • Avoid sudden acceleration and breaking, try to time your accelerator input to avoind breaking (it make take a few days but its not at all tough).
    • Have the MID show IC (instant consumption), so that you can see how the FE alters with your inputs and you can tweak, adjust and adapt the way you drive for a better number.
    • IC will show you that with the right input in accelerator even in lower gear (2/3) can yield FE between 15 -18kmpl (play around and it would not take too long for you to understand and notice what Iam taking about).
    • Please note that all the above tips would rob some fun from the drive but should help you in getting better FE.
    • Calculate the FE based on tankup - tankup method.
    On the highway runs the speeds you mentioned should have the rpm sway between 2500-3500 and the IC should fluctate between (17-18kmpl), so here again I suspect the issue with the timing of breaking. When we break the speeds come down drastically and hence we downshift and push to get into the turbo band to maintain speeds we desire. I would advice you to alter the accelerator inputs to manage and anticipate the gaps for overtaking, rather than hitting the breaks every single time (please do not mistake my sentence here for asking you not to use breaks, Iam trying to highlight how we can vary speed not compromising on safety). This will help you maintain the momentum and not loose speed, and will help you in gaining overall FE. We have some wonderful threads available on how to improve FE, and I would request you to check for some tips from there as well.
    My driving in the city is very sedate and I derive good FE by following what I have mentioned above (I do cut off the engine at signal lights as well if there is more time and if the temperatures outside are not blazing hot). I thoroughly enjoy the capabilities of my car during the highway runs, where Iam least bothered about FE, but I keep a very close track of the same in my city runs. Iam sure it would work for you too. Kindly keep us posted regarding your experience after a few days.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    try to use minimal clutch, that's one more key to get more FE.
  10. Rohanpasula

Rohanpasula Timido

hyderabad
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello guys, i up shift around 1500 to 2000rpm. I have also tried to adjust to with IC. In 2nd gear it always shows about 4kmpl to 9kmpl. It does not show more than 9kmpl in 2nd gear. I am getting only 10kmpl in city