1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo - 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Punto' started by nkrishnap, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Jagan Mohan Reddy

Jagan Mohan Reddy Amatore

Linea T-Jet
    Punto Evo ... Life just became more interesting ... :)

Dear Team,

A.V Motors Fiat In Minister Road, Secunderabad.

Punto Evo

1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg 1 (3).jpg 1 (4).jpg 1 (5).jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    7 people like this.
  2. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great Work Krishna. Liked the review just like for New Linea.

Price wise no other manufacturer can beat Evo, however people should know about it. In my workplace, 90% people do not know Evo launched today with this price tag. They are simply asking where is the Ads? Nothing in TV, nothing in Papers. They just know i20 is launching on 11th. When I showed this to them , they were like glued to the review and Pics and Price and features. That make me feel so good that even lay men likes the FIAT but how FIAT responds that is disappointing. Even few says FIAT is a small company compared to MS, Huyndai, VW and hence may be they are afraid of spending on marketing. When I showed what FIAT has as a BRAND, the immediate response is why they are not spending? May be not interested in INDIA. Now, how to change this mind set. If FIAT does not learn this, in INDIA you have to be bit show off and then only you will be sold; a stiff task in front them.
    1 person likes this.
  3. RKK

RKK Amatore

Splendid Review. Crisp Photography. Five star ratings from me. Only grouse as with everyone is missing T-Jet Engine. FIAT might fear if they plonk T-Jet into Punto, no one would buy Linea in T-Jet Avataar anymore.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Looks the delay was just to make your buy new Punto :).

On serious note, since new Puntos price is already lowered by ~34k, for Active model, I strongly suggest to go for new Punto.
    Little better FE, interior fully upgraded.
    Take a TD of new Punto and decide.
    1 person likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    The sedan buyers are different. If Fiat plonks the 1.4 Tjet in the Punto, they are going to kill the Punto Abarth even before launch (even though the Abarth would be quite different and its not just the engine)
    3 people like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I guess Fiat India feared a repeat of the new Linea fiasco, wherein diesel sales, the Punto's strength, would have dwindled away because of an adverse performance comparison to the t-jet, at prices that would have been too similar for comfort. The vast majority of new Lineas sold/selling are t-jets, diesel sales are at a near standstill. Also, the 1.4 fire is cheap and isn't notably poorer in performance or efficiency to the competition. The market is just used to a difference of about a lakh +/- between the petrol and diesel avatars, launching the t-jet Punto might've pleased you and me but would've messed up the Punto's price positioning.

IMO that problem will not exist with the Avventura, since it doesn't really belong to a segment with entrenched petrol v/s diesel price differentials: Fiat India should launch the rumoured 1.2l version of the t-jet in the Avventura! It is free of hyper-competition, and is part of a nascent and self-consciously sporty new segment.
    1 person likes this.
  7. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

Now I am very happy that we can mod our tail lights with new led type and also if possible we can upgrade the tires with new alloy design:dancing and our old punto will be having killer look.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Looks like no effort spared nkrishnap. :upSo much information, I am never referring to anything else than this thread in case I wanna look for details on Evo. :D Would be unjust if not gone through slowly enjoying alongside a cuppa tea or coffee.

2 people like this.
  9. cassini

cassini Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3
    Amazing review folks, million thanks for the hard work!

Such an awesome analysis, and all I can think of is whether I can retrofit that dash (at least the AUX in), tail lamps and side-view mirrors in my Punto :rolleyes: (I'm sorry). And I don't think the slight lack of power and different gear ratios are much of a problem if you're a normal user. Punto's gear and clutch feels like butter after a long drive in our SX4 petrol. Even my dad is a Punto fan now, who has always been a big Maruti and Honda (City) aficionado. In fact, mine is the first Fiat in the entire family! Punto is a cruiser and its sweet spot is in the 80-120 kmph range. A good 90% of the people I know don't drive any faster than that. And NO car in its segment can beat Punto in terms of ride quality, handling or braking at any speeds (not that I know of anyway). Polo comes close, but Punto has still the edge.

Although, I don't think Punto Evo is going to be a big hit instantly. It is going to take its sweet time. But everything hinges on the marketing team. As someone here wrote earlier, Punto was the first to introduce so many new features in the hatchback segment. Bluetooth, MID, steering-mounted controls(!!), one touch up/down windows, immensely better build quality, and 3 stage doors immediately comes to my mind. Hell, even now, Punto's MID (multi-information display) is one of the most feature rich. But Fiat's marketing team somehow forgot to highlight any! Hope this changes. And I'm quite optimistic too. India is big deal for Fiat now, they can't keep ignoring such a huge growing market anymore. Hyundai is already making huge inroads in Fiat's primary territory, EU.

PS: Has anyone noticed the Fiat bashing going on in team-bhp, that too in a 'review' thread? (I don't even want to link it here) It is spearheaded by a "moderator" himself! I'm done with that "all hail maruti/hyundai" forum :-|
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    5 people like this.
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

How many agree with me that the all black theme for the Punto is not as exciting as the beige-black combination ? Especially with the gold and red variants, the exterior may come across to some as a bit too gaudy (or the interior plain jane) . On the lighter paint shades, its fine.
    Unfortunately, that forum seems to be the one that people look to first. But it is not that bad too..Fiat should get criticized in the right areas, such as marketing/branding efforts, as well as the reluctance to bring in newer, more powerful engines. But yes, general perceptions of quality, reliability, A.S.S , especially based on pure hearsay..should be completely unacceptable. I see that someone (another moderator) has also criticized some VW Polo fanboyism in that forum.
    1 person likes this.