1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo - 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Punto' started by nkrishnap, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

That's a wonderful review Krishna:clapping .A T-Jet punto or the 1.6 mill would have been an added advantage for sure . I really hoped for a better gear box this time . Hope FIAT comes up with some surprises on the Avventura which they will be launching in another 60 days.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. ani1900s

ani1900s Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great detailed review with excellent support of pics and a well comparative statements too @ Krishna.
    The new Punto definitely adds the zing to Punto making it more contemporary hatch when compared to outgoing version. Exterior looks pretty impressive and to an extent the dashboard too impresses but I felt that features should have been added to keep themselves ahead of all brands. I remember Linea coming with rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights but never advertised properly and then Hyundai who launched it later advertised it aggressively. Bluetooth system was long back introduced in Punto, was first hatch in India to have it, but it was only last year that they marketed it; voice commands still an underdog (not that car sales on these features, but little people know about it if not advertised).
    To be frank, I was expecting lots of new features to be added in Punto Evo, Automatic Headlight & Rain Sensing Wipers were very evident features to be added but little disappointed over it not being involved; at least in Emotion & 90hp model.
    On contrary, I am afraid that the new i20 Elite is coming loaded with features and a totally revamped design; saw a glimpse of it and it was having that Wow! factor; am afraid that Polo with that Chrome grill and then Punto incorporating it as well; Punto has 90hp, Polo came out with more power.... the brand really has to justify something they have and no competitor does. My genuine bet on sales numbers will be on new i20 Elite.
    But overall, a very welcome change by Punto Evo and hopefully the Abarth 500 and Abarth Punto alongwith Jeep next year should work out better for the brand FIAT.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thanks a ton Krishna for the awesome, to the point, crisp review of the Punto Evo. I guess you have now been appointed the official test driver for the Fiat products on the forum. The pics said a lot about the new offering in the old bottle. There have been a lot of wishlist for the Fiat fans and not all of them were taken into consideration, however it is a postive step in the right direction by Fiat. Now that the aura about the Puto Evo is created, Fiat shouldnt wait long to launch the next product i.e Avventura. This way the interest in both the products will be kept alive.

Looking at the prices, the glaring difference between old and new Punto is in the base level trim. Can someone consolidate whats been ommitted in the new Punto?
  4. bibin

bibin Regolare

i sincerely feel (polo and i20) are premium hatch backs and it will be positioned in that way (just look at their base model prices), where as punto, figo , swift and micra/pulse are low premium hatch backs and they will be positioned against each other and based on the (price vs features) comparison on the base models "punto wins" and we need to see how many customers will it be able to attract from figo , swift and micra/pulse.

lets hope for the best....at least for the coming months we should be able to see 1000 monthly deliveries for punto and situation might change once avventura is launched, which i believe will be priced around (polo/ecosport) prices just like it happened for ford with eco-sport when it got launched (but ford screwed it with waiting periods and price increase), where premium hatchback customers will shift their preferences to avventura.
  5. ani1900s

ani1900s Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3
    Where exactly to place Punto has always been a puzzle & a point of discussion..... Punto loaded with features, longer & stronger, with a sporty 90hp model for me possess all that a premium hatch has to offer. Comparing Punto with Figo, Micra/ Pulse is rather degrading it. Price should not be the lone factor to place Punto in any particular segment and it maybe 'cos of this price factor that people eying for a budget hatch misses Punto as much as who wanna buy a premium hatch.
    Avventura needs to be placed against Etios Cross & Polo Cross in crossover segment, not in hatchbacks; Fabia Scout (RIP) was supposedly the first crossover in India - crossovers dont have a market reach in India yet, hope it changes with Avventura.
    1 person likes this.
  6. bharath

bharath Regolare

Thanks Krishna for your stellar efforts :up! Though the efforts on new Punto from Fiat might not be a great leap (Engine options,gearbox etc) ,I personally feel that they have done a commendable job establishing 116 dealerships ,refreshed Linea & Punto and the upcoming Avventura & Abarth within a short period of time.They have lived upto what they have promised.Also, they never even promised to bring 1.6 in any of their plans to my knowledge and I strongly believe it would never land on our soil considering our excise duty! My major hope is that 1.6 would come in the disguise of 1.5 MJD and that would give high hopes for Fiat as well to stay in the race.

It is a simple bet to buy Punto Evo and remap it if the pickup/initial pull/turbo lag or whatever so called is the only deal breaker.I don't find anything major !
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the reivew, very detailed. I just got the 1.3MJD Active for 5.17 onroad. But the new design and the comeback of the grey colour is tempting and making me think if I made the wrong decision :eek: and should have waited :confused:.

For now the only thing keeping my from getting sad is that I personally dont like the curves on the Dash, the Active Variant doesnt come with the music system, there is too much of Chrome around the front and rear fog lights and the close to white beige interiors is going to be a pain to maintain. Considering the Exshowroom price of Rs 5.27 the onroad would come up to around 6.00 + music system taking it to 6.20-6.30. Well I have to do something to keep my mind off this, I am going to drive and enjoy my current MJD.:helmet
  8. pramod

pramod Timido

Nice Review !
    The front grill in fiat website and fiat pics in the forum have some difference.
    Can someone update on this?
  9. puneet mehra

puneet mehra Amatore

Hi Team,

I have booked Punto Active Diesel variant (old model) here in Delhi last month however due to incomplete document my loan took too much time to clear. Now as the New punto has been launched and i can that there is not too much difference between the both price. i am looking for your help in my decision, My dealer qoted 5.40 Lakhs for Punto Active with chrome handle, reverse parking sensor and gear lock for me. Will I go further to buy old punto with all these goodies or should i change my booking to new Punto and get the car without these goodies.

I am confused now looking for your help.

Palio 1.6 GTX
    Royal Enfield Classic 350
    Bajaj Pulsar 150DTSi
    Hero Honda CBZ Extreme
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading the review. And pictures, specially comparisons with existing Punto, are superb.
    You have captured so many details nicely. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Major miss from Fiat. Somehow Fiat is not understanding they need to work on at-least gears.
    Since Petrol 1.2 and 1.4 FIRE is not working on Fiat, why not plonk T-Jet, and give it a shot (though that didn't work on Linea). Who knows it might work.
    Good news. This used to ne standard in Initial batch (mine has it :)).
    Good move, this is anyway supposed to be replacing Accelere. No need for upgrade immediately.

Both new alloys looks cool (earlier was also super looking), few more choices for rare 98PCD alloys.
    Welcome change, though earlier was also good.
    Interiors are one item, where complains should reduce. At-least dashboards matches (or better) with any premium hatches in India.

On Drive, it is same old story, unfortunately. Remapping is must.
    Hope few of these new items can be directly fitted to existing Puntos :), at-least tail light assembly.