1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo - 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Punto' started by nkrishnap, Aug 3, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Turbothinghy, there is a special demystifying thread or two on Turbos and remaps too here in TFI painstakingly drafted by our esteemed TFIan/s with extra acumen or astuteness for technical details. Do definitely browse through them to get some more answers on this topic. Search for 'Layman's perspective' on the forum.

The MJD and LINEA/PUNTO/Avventura gearbox and map, has been specifically tuned or de-tuned or left untouched in ways so as to perform with utmost reliability in the upper range of RPMs i.e. on highways munching miles. There is one fundamental for a nearly lag-free experience which I believe could be achieved via a much more efficient VGT Turbo, with more fuel (or better injectors) and better exhaust modifications/implementations or even better an implementation like TWIN TURBO like on a SAAB 9_5 which used or uses the same JTD/MJD engine in a different displacement size. But that would also mean more cost and would probably justify use in an upper bracketed/segment car, where people would automatically care lesser for 'kitna deti hai.' ;)
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I totally understand this but if fiat has tuned avventura a little better in the lower RPMS what's wrong in admitting it? There might be people who would want to own a fiat but mostly drive in city. Avventura is heavier than Punto 90 hp and then also it felt a little less laggy in the lower RPMS..this shows that it's been tuned differently.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It could advertise it zipping past other vehicles or through city roads. But there are other issues why Fiat has perhaps failed to get that response it thought it should have got from this launch. All of which have been extensively discussed by member on various threads. Improved tuning or remapping of ECU etc. is not something most car manufacturers advertise, do they?
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well
    Well I agree that most car manufacturers don't advertise their their engine tuning but when it's a known fact that Fiat tunes is mjd engines for highway it could have been a great advertising point for avventura with a tagline : 'Rule the city and highway alike' :)...and for the 90 hp they could have given a choice between the 2 didifferent tunes :smuggrin:after all is their flagship and sports hatch..
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Right @Turbothinghy it does not fail to bewilder a Fiat owner even today what they 'could have' done and what they should not have done. Give it some time, you will realize its a slow process and even slower with FIAT. ;)
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Rightly said :shame:I don't think any other manufacturer would have this kind of patient and loving fans :)I still don't own one..but I already feel I am in love with evo
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Just got to know that Pandit Auto ( Pune Dealership) would be delivering 5 Punto 90 hp (including mine) on the coming Saturday. And apparently the biggest reason for the customers to go for 90 hp instead of the normal emotion was the all black interiors :joyful:
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  9. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Sandipan,

Following is an excerpt of a Grand i10 Diesel review (Hindustan Times):

'To put things in perspective, the Grand i10 takes a very leisurely 20.25 seconds to get to 100kph while the Swift dispatches the same in 13.5sec. In-gear acceleration times aren’t good news either – 40-100kph in fourth takes 17.23sec in the Hyundai while the Swift does the same in 13.91sec.'

Link: http://www.hindustantimes.com/htaut...d-i10-review-test-drive/article1-1139922.aspx

As you said the reviewer didnt have the facts right.
  10. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Guys, I have a silly question. Are the power window switches back lit in the EVO ? I missed checking this every time i took a test drive, wasnt able to confirm by looking at the pictures here as well.