1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo - 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Punto' started by nkrishnap, Aug 3, 2014.

1. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations !!!, please start your ownership thread and share your experience with lots of pics.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  2. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks dadasaheb and Murphy_Fiat :happy: I will surely start my ownership thread when I receive the car..I am expecting to get my hands on her next week..Till then I can share my TD experience :

I had made up my mind for Punto or Polo..but the high maintenance and the high price of Polo put me of off.

Polo was really exciting to drive throughout the RPM range but frankly I am not the kind of driver who wants to race within the city limits.

Now coming to Punto. I called Pandit auto and asked for a test drive of Punto 1.2 and 1.3. The sales person agreed to give me both the test drives. He said that he will come to my home in 1.2, from where I will drive till the showroom and back home in 1.3.

1.2 driving experience:
    1) extremely silent at idle and of course no vibrations at all.
    2) The first gear is decent to pull it from standstill though the 2nd gear wasn't that great IMO.With ac on and 3 people on-board the acceleration wasn't brisk but third gear at a RPM above 2500 things were a lot better.

1.3 driving experience (75 bhp):
    1) There were some vibrations but nothing dramatic for a diesel engine
    2) The was some lag as well but after it crossed 1700-1800 RPM there was a bit of boost and driving became a lot peppier
    3) the NVH levels were pretty decent at least in city speeds though I didn't try it on a highway.

In short was happy with the performance of the 1.3. I decided on 1.3 dynamic. I was happy that 1.3 dynamic had ABS but then wanted to know how much the emotion would cost. So I called Pandit auto and got to know that the price difference was 60k but was getting a lot of things that were worth more than 60k: airbags, 15 inchers with alloy, ACC, steering mounted controls along with blue and me, 2 tweeters in the front doors, leather wrapped steering and gear knob, chrome handles etc.

So made my mind for the emotion as it was increasing my EMI by 900 bucks only. So applied for the SBI floating rate loan.

After a few days went to the showroom to submit some docs. There i saw a GG Punto 90 hp. Loved the interiors : all black. But I had heard that it has a more prominent lag in lower RPMS as compared to 75 hp. But then also just to feel it myself I asked for its TD.

90 HP driving experience :

1) switched on the engine and man it was super silent. Didn't feel like a diesel at all and was super refined, didn't feel any vibrations either.
    2) moved around and felt the engine was free revving kind.
    3) somehow felt lesser lag than 75 hp and a lot better pull post 1900 RPM.
    4) there wasn't any knocking as well when done in 2nd gear at 10 km/hr.
    5) the clutch was super soft to use.
    6) the second gear was quite tall, biggest con for me.

But all in all felt it was a better package even in city conditions and is a known fact that it's a different animal on highways. What was even better that after the discounts it's premium over the 75 hp emotion was only 30k:woot::p

My EMI increased by 400-500 bucks and I happily booked it.
  4. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @Turbothinghy. Wish you a pleasant ownership and happy miles!
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    The way you booked your 90 makes me to think as to why not a tjet was parked there??

Had it been, I was writing this on separate thread:) but anyways congrats for evo @Turbothinghy !!
    Happy mile munching
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Lol!! It was parked there too I did ask him about how much the base version of T-Jet will cost and not surprisingly it was above my budget...also I was looking for some decent FE as this is my first car..I enquired about the Punto T-Jet and the salesperson said that if would launch around June..hopefully my next car would be a T-Jet :p
    dadasaheb and pabhishek like this.
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats Turbothinghy.Enjoy the turbo rush of the 90 HP.Welcome to the FIAT family.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Sandipan
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 27, 2015 ---
    Thanks Saket
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 28, 2015 ---
    Guys just a question...is Aventura diesel differently tuned when compared to 90 hp evo?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Turbothinghy

Cheers to you and your excellent, wise and super-vfm car-decision.

About the mjd 90 hp in the Evo v/s the Avventura, a couple of points, if I may?:

It was bound to be differently 'tuned', isn't it, given that the Avventura's a fair bit heavier, no?

The basic character of this small dsiplacement, turbo-ed engine, though remains the same: economical to buy and service, reliable, proven, quite refined with some turbolag in order to ensure that its relatively wider mid-range is torquey enough, so that the car fares well not just on city traffic-ridden streets but also on more open roads.

If they'd reduced the turbolag they would've sacrificed the wide midrange high torque. The Avventura is slightly slower than the Ecosport from 0 to say 40 but absolutely creams it in-gear from 20 to 80 or 40 to 100 (going by Autocar's print anniversary edition from November 2014).

Even if its tuning is 'better' than the Evo's: that is surely true of the Evo too, great in gear, adequate from a standstill. In fact, anecdotal reports suggest that the Linea or the Maruti Ciaz 90 hp outdo say the feather-light Honda City or the smaller Ford Fiesta in-gear, despite being non-aluminium, and being smaller. I am not familiar with the VW 1.5 diesel, but i bet in-gear (from say 40 to 80 etc), the Evo and Avventura match up with it well.

cheers, enjoy your 90 hp, the best all-round hatch around, still, and great value too!
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @prabhjot for the detailed explanation. In gear acceleration has always been great for fiat cars and that's what really matters IMO too..I wonder why fiat never agreed to a different tuning when team bhp and motorbeam guys enquired them after TDing avventura ..they have also said that a slightly less turbo lag has come in expense of the strong mid range of 90 hp...
    prabhjot likes this.