1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo - 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Punto' started by nkrishnap, Aug 3, 2014.

1. bediman

bediman Timido

yes you are, being paranoid, i mean! The know-nothing skeptics and critics of Fiat have sent a trojan horse into us Fiat-owners' heads! ;-);-)
  2. Sunilp

Sunilp Amatore

Bangalore
    congrats chetan!! time to have a separate punto evo forum!! i can see 2 ownership reviews coming soon:)
    prabhjot and chetanmohanty like this.
  3. Sunilp

Sunilp Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi All,

Recently I booked Punto Evo 90HP Exotica Red Color. I am putting down my test drive experience here. I will recommend that you read my first post here (Awaiting to book new Punto Evo 90 HP - Now Booked) which talks about beginning of my love for FIAT Cars (starting with Grande Punto.)

This is going to be my first car. (Note: Even though I have purchased Swift DeZire few months back for my parents in my hometown, I don't really want to count it as first one as I have hardly driven it for 30-40 kms. :p)

Prior Driving Experience:
    No regular driving experience. I have driven few cars, a couple of times plus added driving school experience.

Cars driven before:
    Corvette - Did not drive as this was in US. I had just revved car. Then I realised this is THE REAL DEAL.
    Audi A4 (5 km) - This was test drive in office, Loved it.
    Honda City IVTEC - Friends' Car.
    Toyota Qualis (Old car) - (Drove 400 km) - First time I had driven this far - so it was exciting and fun.
    Swift Dezire (petrol)- (50 km) - I was driving around for practising purpose, easy to drive, Driving wheel felt little light and lose but apart from that it was easy to drive and being first first car, I had no complaints and I was yet to drive a fiat car.

Driving School Cars: (few months back) (not mentioning previous driving school experiences)
    Maruti Swift - I really wonder, why this car is so popular? It was good power but nothing great.
    Swift Dezire - (Diesel) - I think since I was always driving with trainer, my attention was too much on getting it right than enjoying the ride. Decent Car.

One thing worth mentioning here: Maruti Driving school was really neat. Good Trainers and Best place to learn driving. (based on experience on 3 local driving schools (2007-2011) out of which only 1 was neat)

Coming to main point of the thread.

PUNTO Test Drive Experience
    Since this was decision based on long time love for fiat, I did not do any test drives for other cars and was patiently for launch of punto evo. After finishing my driving school, I went to Fiat Showroom before punto evo was officially launched in Bangalore. Sales executive showed me Gliteratti Gold 90 HP Punto Evo but I could not test drive it. So I decided to take a Test Drive on ongoing model (90HP). Since I had just finished my driving school, I was not comfortable in taking reverse before beginning TD, So I asked executive to reverse it for me and then I got into the car. I was already feeling high as this was first time I got into driving seat of Punto and note that I had not been inside any other punto since Feb 2012. I started the car and in an instant it felt like - Car and I - we became one. I had totally forgottten that I was driving this car first time. Driving was so easy and fun - I felt comfortable, relaxed and enjoyed that 4-5 km ride thoroughly.

I am not going to go into likes/dislikes of this old model. But Let me narrate Punto Evo Test Drive Experiences.

Test Drive 1: Punto Evo Emotion

Immediate Likes:
    Amazing Looks (Color: my fav: Exotica Red, Gliteratti Gold is really hot cake! I loved black one too!)
    Easy Ride
    Superb Handling
    Soft Gear Shift
    I had always loved the Key
    Amazing Ground Clearance - Executive took us on bad roads, un-even roads, roads where my friend would never take his Honda City, where I would worry when driving Swift. To my amazement, I didn't even think all that and I was talking to executive normally and we sailed bad roads like they were plain roads. (same feeling when you usually ride with your pulsar bike and then this experience was like taking Royal Enfield classic to such roads!)
    Nicer Dashboard
    Height Adjustment
    THUD of Door Closing - Built like a Tank! One of the main reason I liked Punto at first!
    Better Gear Ratio - (comparing to old model - it felt easier - I did not have to switch lower gears faster.)

Test Drive 2: Punto Evo 90 HP (post booking)
    Immediate Likes: (in addition to list above)
    Black Dashboard - Sporty look (ref: Corvette Experience and then Ford Mustang passenger seat experience)
    More Power (felt at home)
    Felt Secure, Taller
    I am not sure if this is because of Ground Clearance but I could see more road easily, also I had height adjustment.

I am not sure if I have something more to write now but feeling sleepy now. I will edit post tomorrow in case I have to add something. Sorry in advance for typos or grammer mistakes if any.:)
    Enjoy the pic! 20140724024408_punto1.jpg
  4. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Autocar - Fiat Punto Evo vs Volkswagen Polo TDI comparison!:cool:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/fiat-punto-evo-vs-volkswagen-polo-tdi-comparison-390018.aspx/0

verdict,

The Punto has always been very capable and the Evo, is a much better package. It looks even more stunning, is well-equipped, the revised interiors feel quite premium and it’s reasonably comfortable too. But it’s the unflappable ride quality, surefooted handling and SUV-like ground clearance that are the Fiat’s true strengths. There are some unresolved issues though. It’s still lethargic and lacks the performance offered by rivals and the quirky driving position takes a while to get used to.

The Polo doesn’t look too different from the older car, it’s the changes under the skin that make it so much better. The all-new 1.5 diesel motor is responsive, powerful, refined and makes it much better. In addition, the class-leading cabin quality makes this car look and feel more expensive. This is a car you don’t need to make excuses for anymore. All told, the Italian flair is hard to ignore but finally, it’s German precision, diligence and overall performance that win the day.

courtesy - Autocar! content produced as is :cigar:
  5. cynicalcount

cynicalcount Timido

Delhi
    Hey guys,

I am planning to buy 90HP by October. I had checked out the dealers here and it seems the response is muted for the evo. Not much enthusiasm among buyers which is very sad since when it comes to looks no other hatchback comes closer.
    prabhjot and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The Delhi NCR mass market is totally sold on Maruti-s and Hyundai-s, as you know. I am afraid the average car buyer here is..how to put this kindly? ;-)...un-informed and risk-averse. You'll find that the response to the Evo in Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and Chennai etc is pretty good.

Go for it buddy!

And keep us updated on your buying experiences.

cheers
  7. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Has any one test driven the 90hp yet?
    Has fiat changed the gear ratios for the first 2 gears like they have done for the 75hp?
    I have been trying to take a back to back TD of both, but I have been out of town almost every weekend! :(
  8. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Fiat hasnt changed 90hp gear ratios,if you drive more in city & happy with cruising sedately on highways then 75hp serves you better or 90hp any day if you get used to 90hp in city conditions
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    There is the size and then there is the PRESENCE. Size is always debatable: the Punto because of its Italianate pronounced nose/snout is less roomy than it might appear, though not bad at all.

But: it has fantastic 'presence', almost a visual 'aura' far more than its size might suggest. Far more than all the other hatchbacks on the market, more even than many a bigger, more expensive car.

That is the brilliance/genius of Italian design, on both the original, minimalist Grande Punto but still, now, on the more ornate (Indian style?) Punto Evo.

There is therefore visual pleasure, drama, romance every time a Punto (or Linea) owner walks towards his/her car, and even more when they drive it, since they are always aware of being looked at, admiringly.

No? :)