1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Evo - 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Punto' started by nkrishnap, Aug 3, 2014.

1. PersianPrince

PersianPrince Novizio

Fiat Punto Evo launched in chandigarh. Finally its on news.

1 person likes this.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

Somehow I get a sense that the Tuscan Wine colour doesnt suit the design. The design looks better in bold, solid colours like Red, Orange, Yellow and even White.
    2 people like this.
  3. vamshi_g86

vamshi_g86 Timido

I feel Punto Evo will look good in light metallic colors like bronze.

Great Review. FIAT has taken care of most of the customer feedback and bought out complete face-lift, rather than a mere, a tweak in the bumpers face-lift.

The only drawback I see in PUNTO is lack of power.

With the competition offering even powerful engines in form of GT POLO, every competitor has more powerful engines. with better 0-100 dash figures. With such a capable chassis & tank like built quality they should have offered powerful engines. Fiat should at least launch Abarth PUNTO with 1.6 Multijet engine and with Maruti bringing in 1.6 engine in SX4 Cross, it can be a viable proposition for Fiat to manufacture 1.6 Multijet engine in India.
    or at least they should develop soon and launch, the rumoured made for India 1.5 Multijet engine(downsized from 1.6).
    1 person likes this.
  5. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Exactly my thought.A blue(like that of new DZIRE) could have been a super looker.Those LED tail lights,chrome inserts,diamond cut/silver colour alloys would look super fab on the new EVO in contrast with blue.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    There is a terrific new thread on tem-bhp about in-gear acceleration (say from 40 to 80, or 60 to 100) of the different diesels in the Punto-Linea segments. The thread spun-off from the Punto Evo one where the Fiat mjd owners kept saying the hearsay about 'lack of power' is not true. It clearly shows that the mjd on even the Linea let alone the lighter punto is second in-gear (and not by much) only to the VW 1.5/1.6 tdi: better than Ford, Swift, Dzire, i20, Micra, Duster.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  7. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Evolution is Interesting!:cool:

4 people like this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
  9. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Linea T-Jet
    I recently posted something on another forum that I believe might be useful here as well...

I find a lot of exaggeration around Punto's shortcomings. I own a Linea T-jet+ and my wife owns a 75HP Punto MJD. Thus, I am sure I have the experience of the best and worst from Fiat, in terms of performance. Since EVO is mechanically similar to the outgoing version, let me share my view on some common points

1. Gear ratio - Yes, it's not ideal but nothing that a decent driver doesn't get used to. It can be irritating during a short test-drive but an owner develops an understanding of the gear-ratios, and makes the necessary adjustment in terms of driving style. OTOH, the short first and second gear were quite useful while coasting on surface like this.

2. Power (the lack of it) - It's not nippy, it's not a go-kart but it's certainly not a slouch. I do find the power lacking but that's because I have been spoilt by the T-jet. It has adequate power for city as well as highway. I have done a Delhi-Ahmedabad trip in 14-15 hours, twice. That stretch has many stretches, where one can stretch a leg. I could drive at a very decent speed all day long and overtake cars much more powerful (on papers) than Punto, at will.

There's also an option of remap so, if you want more power, go for it. FASS is considered to be the most lenient in terms of warranty policies thus, the risk of warranty denied is lesser than with other brands. There are a number of owners on this as well as other forums that are enjoying their remapped cars.

3. Interior - It has now been fixed and the current interior does match Punto's character very well. Even on our version, the look and feel might not be great but it's aging quite well. I haven't checked the quality of the new interiors and the pics aren't the best way to judge interior quality, so will hold on to my comments about it.

4. Ergonomics - This, I agree should have been improved. The under-thigh support in my Linea is much better than the non-existent under-thigh support in the Punto. Pedal placement is also a bit awkward. The way I manage is - push the seat back, raise the seat a couple of notches from the lowest setting, and recline the seat-back a bit. Have driven for ~1000 KMs in a day and managed to report to office on the following day.

5. Exterior - these are completely subjective. It might appeal to some and not to others.

Bottom line - Punto is meant for people that have a budget of 6-8 lacs, want a hatch-back, love driving (outside of city roads), have patience/'spare car' to deal with FASS, and crazily love their cars.

I have taken it to the

and Arabian Sea

It has never let me down, and there's has been no reliability issue, ever. It's more comfortable than many sedans, and more competent than most hatch-backs. I have absolutely no reservation in recommending a Punto.
    Rohan, bharath, sanjay_mugur and 9 others like this.
  10. Sunilp

Sunilp Amatore

booked punto evo 90 HP exotica red today :) i am happy :)
    6 people like this.