1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto engine switched off!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by adigabnp, Nov 25, 2014.

1. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi all,

My Punto has done 97,500 km [2011 model] and the previous servicing was done at around 87,000 km. Timing belt has not yet been changed.

Today morning when I was driving to work, all of a sudden, the engine switched off with a couple of jerks, as if the fuel supply was cutoff.
    I was lucky that I was not at speed, was at around 20-30 kmpl and was not tailgated by anyone, though it was peak hour.
    I luckily managed to pull the car to the side of the road with the steering almost locked, and with hand brake alone available.

I observed the "engine warning" light glow on the MID, just when the jerk started.

I called up Fiat RSA and they took 2 hours to send a guy with the battery to confirm that it was not an issue with the battery etc.

After he confirmed that the issue was not with the battery etc, the tow vehicle arrived within an hour and towed it to Vecto motors by around 1 p.m. today.
    The towing service is very prompt; I am using it for the second time this year!!

I have left the vehicle at Vecto and seems like there is no headway made on the investigation, yet.

Hoping to hear some progress tomorrow.

Has anyone faced a similar issue in the past? I am anxious on what might be the issue and the consequences...

Thanks,
    Praveen Adiga
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Speculation will lead to more anxiety and stress. If there is a damage, say due to timing chain snapping, there is hardly anything that you can do now, isnt it? So hope that it is not timing chain related and maybe something else, perhaps like injection related etc. So try and relax which we know is hard, but can't be helped.

Best of Luck..!
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @ praveen, the symptoms were exactly same as you have described when the timing chain of my punto had snapped. But it should not take more than a minute for an experienced technician to confirm that.
  4. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks asimpleson and shams.

But, I did not notice any starting issue etc in the recent past. Still wondering! ;)
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 26, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 26, 2014 ---
    Timing chain, it is!!! :oops::facepalm:
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @adigabnp, going by car details in your profile, I presume it to be a 75 hp one.
  6. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, it is a 75 HP one.
    I am yet to get an estimate of the damage and the expenses.
  7. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi all,

Today, I received a call from the service advisor of Vecto motors.

He claimed that the engine did not have major damage.
    Of 16, a couple of rackets were damaged which he opines that they need to be replaced.

Apart from that, the entire timing kit needs to be changed.

He suggested that, after all these changes, oil and fuel filter need a change in addition to change of engine oil.

For all this, he quoted ₹20000, which includes ₹3000 for labour.

He opined that the timing kit maybe covered under extended warranty.

Guys - Please let me know if the quote is reasonable and how much of the total amount should I be getting from extended warranty.

Also, please opine if I should be knowing anything else, going forward...
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Well if damage is only that much then i must say you have been lucky because timing chain snapping in a running car causes much more damage more often than not.

If the cars service history is clean then extended warranty should cover all the parts that would need replacement along with labour. you would have to pay for consumables only
    adigabnp likes this.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Concur with shams. All parts should be covered in warranty if service history is clean.
    adigabnp likes this.
  10. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Shams and vj_v1.
    Yeah, I have been really lucky to have incurred minimal damage.