1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Emotion Pack with GC Upgrade kit installed

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by johnny, Mar 23, 2012.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks, Shashank.

(Off topic)

I do not know if you have taken the new road. From the highway, you are required to turn right for Gwalior. I had continued straight along the new 4 lane highway to Jhansi. When it crosses over the Bhind road, you get down & follow the Bhind road to Gwalior. I think it is a better way into Gwalior. Try it the next time you go that side.

Regards
    Johnny
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

at the moment i'm happy with the current height..adjusted my driving accordingly.. even u stated that...
    but i will go for the upgrade only when i up-size my rims to 16'' or 17''.....
    apart from that..in my personal opinion, i feel its an unnecessary expense......
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @thomman85,

I fully agree with you. Unless you are convinced about the need for this upgrade, it is an unnecessary expenditure.

Regards
    Johnny
  4. Your satisfaction is the most important thing..... congrats.

Yes.. as everyone has suggested.. go for alloy upgrade since now the gap between the tyre and the wheel arch is more pronounced.
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Romsi_rk.

I do a lot of highway driving. One problem with this type of driving is that you tend to drive fast, and quite often unmarked speedbreakers (lots of them on the route to Dehra Dun), or potholes take you by surprise. Right now I have one slightly bent alloy which I have relegated to steppeney (I had bought an extra OE alloy). This probably happened on one of my many Dehra Dun trips.

Possibility of alloy rim damage is higher with lower profile tyres. In case I upgrade to 16 or 17" alloys, the vulnerability of the alloys will increase since I will need 55/45 profile tyres, in order to keep the wheel diameter the same. In view of this, I plan to stick to15" alloys.

Regards
    Johnny
  6. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Johnny Sir congrats! Now that you are driving a SUV.

I also plan to get it install but am waiting for one of the shockers to go kaputt. As of now all of them are fit n fine.

Odo reads at km 63000+

Vijyant
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Vijayant. Good going with your car - 63000+.

I was pleasantly surprised that the handling has remained unchanged despite the increase in GC. Drives to Dehra Dun should now be relatively tension free.

Regards
    Johnny
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is further to my first post in this thread.

In another thread (Greater NOIDA to Mumbai), I had briefly mentioned about the handling of the car. I had just done this trip a few days back.

The initial part of the road from Udaipur to Gandhinagar has some very undulating roads with some sharp curves. The best part is that the road is very good and is a four lane road - in short, the ideal place to check out high speed handling characteristics. I was fortunate that the traffic density was quite low when I was on this stretch. So, I pushed the speed envelope on this stretch.

The car handled exactly as it did before the GC upgrade. You could keep the foot on the accelerator with confidence without feeling the need to slow down. One interesting incident was during a fairly sharp left turn, I was on the left lane, and the car was holding the center of the lane effortlessly. There was a Skoda Fabia which was trying to overtake from the right. As he came into the sharp part of the curve, I could see him in the rear view mirror, fall back abruptly (he had definitely hit his brakes - probably did not feel comfortable at the speed). After that he fell back to a respectable distance, and only when the road straightened up, did he finally overtake me. Just to set the record straight, I was not in a race with him. On long drives, I maintain a pace that I am comfortable with.

The other point is that on the whole the ride felt much smoother. As I mentioned earlier, it may be because all four shockers are new. Of course, I did not scrape bottom at any stage.

Regards
    Johnny
    4 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Very valid point that we always forget.
    I had a thought of going for GC upgradation. Then thought that I will go only if I found some problem with present Shock absorbers. Till now not faced much problems with bottom scrapping. In Goa roads are better and road signals are proper.
  10. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Sungoa2010,

Go for this mod ONLY if you feel that the type of roads that you drive on, warrant raised GC.

Alternatively, as you rightly pointed out, it may be worthwhile doing it once existing shockers give way.

Regards
    Johnny
    2 people like this.