1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Emotion Pack with GC Upgrade kit installed

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by johnny, Mar 23, 2012.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I must start with a confession. When the poll on installation of GC upgrade was started, I had voted against installation, since I felt that I had modified my driving style to cater to the existing GC. After that I went for a trip to Gwalior. The last 7 to 8 kms was done on the Gwalior-Bhind road. The road condition was pathetic, and despite my 'modified' driving technique, I scraped the bottom five to six times. So I decided to go in for the mod.

I first contacted NOIDA Auto Sterling where I had been getting my servicing done. The indicated that they are in the process of terminating the JV with Fiat, and recommended NOIDA Oberoi cars. So, I contacted the SA Mr Hari Bal Singh. He indicated that he had one kit in stock in case I took it immediately. So, I agreed & reached Oberoi cars, at 0900 AM sharp on 22 Mar 12. Oberoi cars is in a lane next to Rohan Maruti workshop. Since there was work being done on the main road, ALL traffic was diverted by this lane. So, it was utter chaos. Luckily Mr Hari Bal was outside, and the car finally entered the workshop by about 0945 AM! I was told that it would be a full day job. Fortunately, I was prepared with packed lunch, reading material etc.

When the work started, I was informed that my front shocker mounts were worn out and would need replacement shortly. So, I decided to have them replaced. The pair cost Rs 5844/=. There was a doubt whether this item could be replaced through the extended warranty clause. So, I discussed this with the supervisors, and realised that the 'extended warranty' is not unconditional, but has mileage limitations. For this item (suspension related), the limit was 35,000 kms. Fortunately, my car had done only 32,000 kms. So it was replaced under extended warranty.

The kit fitment got over by about 1300 hrs. The car was then put in the que for washing. That took almost two hrs after the lunch break. Then the car was put in the que for alignment. Since, I am driving to Mumbai next month, I also got the front wipers changed (the whole assembly requires change). This cost Rs 1186/- for both. To pass time, I had gone upstairs to their accessory department, and I wound up buying door visors (Rs 1476/-), door sill plates (Rs 388/=), and Stainless steel exhaust pipe butt (Rs 1972/=).

The car was finally delivered to me by 6 PM. The work procedure was quite efficient. However, the number of vehicles including Tata vehicles is just too much for them to handle. So, every new procedure like washing, alignment takes time because your car is in the que.

The breakdown for the work (incl VAT) is as follows:-

1. GC kit incl VAT - Rs 10803/=
    2. Front shocker mount pair - Rs 5844/= (Through ext warranty)
    3. Wiper set (front) - Rs 1186/=
    3. Total labour including shocker mount replacement - Rs 3266/=

The increase in vehicle height is apparent. I will enclose photos later. When I drove back on the Greater NOIDA expressway, I did not feel any change in the car handling. The real test will be when you take turns at high speed. The route from Udaipur to Ahmedabad has plenty of nice turns. When I finish my drive to Mumbai by mid next month, I will give an update of the car handling in high speed turns.

Regards
    Johnny
    7 people like this.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Thanks Jhonny for the update, Looking forward for your feedback on Handling and High speed stability post which I shall think about this. Also regarding the Labour costs don't you think you shouldn't be charged for the Shocker mount replacement as this was under warranty?

Looking forward for the pictures.
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Teky,

I am not sure whether they have charged me labour for the Shocker mount replacement. They had initially charged me Rs 4000/= for labour, which they subsequently reduced to Rs 2500/= after I discussed with the Manager. They have added VAT to this figure. After spending the whole day at the workshop, I really was not in the mood to squabble about this issue.

I am enclosing a few photos: the front wheel, rear wheel & the exhaust butt. The Increase in the GC is quite perceptible.

Front-wheel.jpg

Rear-wheel.jpg

Exhaust.jpg
    2 people like this.
  4. Johnny ,
    After the GC upgradation the tyres looks too small (the gap between wheel and the car looks very huge ) and looks little awkward for me . Now i think that we need 16" alloys or bigger tyres to match this . This is my personal opinion ..

Ajit
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    You should be on a new "high" now.
    3266 is a bomb to pay for labor... how is it calculated...
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What I was told is that it is @ 500/- per hour. They have charged me for 5 hrs labour which is Rs 2500/= , plus VAT.

Regards
    Johnny

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

You are probably referring to the photo of the front wheel. It is looking a bit odd because the photo was taken at a very odd angle. The other car was parked very close in the parking lot. In 'reality' it looks quite OK. However, as you said, 'It is a matter of personal opinion.

Regards
    Johnny
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today, I went from Greater NOIDA to NOIDA & back. There was'nt much traffic on the expressway. So, I could take the car up to 140 kmph. Also tried some sharp lane changes. I was alone in the car.

I felt that the car was behaving just as it was before the installation of the GC upgrade kit. I did not find any difference in the handling. The ride felt smoother - this may be due to the fact that all four shockers are new.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Good going Johnny sir... This calls for a new TFI trip on ghats...
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Shashank,

Ghats should not be a problem. It was my Gwalior trip (last 7 kms on Bhind road), that motivated me to go for the upgrade. Even that should not be a problem now.

We are planning another Mumbai trip next month - second grandchild expected in June. Planned return by end Aug. After that I am game for another TFI (NCR chapter) trip.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Congratulations Sir... I know that Gwalior road.. It is actually after Rituraj Restaurent till Britannia factory. The four laning is in progress and it being under state authority is taking lot more time. The area opposite IIITM Gwl is a great mess..